Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Anyone having problems with Notion as Rewire slave

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Anyone having problems with Notion as Rewire s

Postby posssu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:38 pm

I've tried with even full scores... The problem is that hitting space bar in Notion doesn't start the cursor nor does it send the cursor position to Live. It just doesn't work properly..
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Re: Anyone having problems with Notion as Rewire slave

Postby labou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:43 am

Any news on this problem?

I was about to purchase Notion, but honestly if Rewire doesn't work properly it is totally useless to me... I will good to know the status of that problem.

Thanks.
labou

Postby posssu » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:50 am

labou wrote:Any news on this problem?

I was about to purchase Notion, but honestly if Rewire doesn't work properly it is totally useless to me... I will good to know the status of that problem.

Thanks.

Not that I know of it. Looking forward to next update, if they've adressed this yet. I'll let you know.
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby astinov » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:16 am

Hey everyone,

Here's a few tips in regards to that:

1. Set your buffers to 512 for a ReWire session
2. Try using the master's transport when NOTION is slaved and NOTION's transpored when its master
3. We currently do not transmit MIDI in a ReWire session, as we said we do have it in the plan of things to add.
4. Make sure you get the latest ReWire update from Propellerhead

Often times ReWire problems may be linked to simple configuration issues. Things such as using a low-latency driver for your audio card, making sure nothing else is running in the background etc, can greatly improve results.

Hope this helps

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby posssu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:24 pm

astinov wrote:Hey everyone,

Here's a few tips in regards to that:

1. Set your buffers to 512 for a ReWire session
2. Try using the master's transport when NOTION is slaved and NOTION's transpored when its master
3. We currently do not transmit MIDI in a ReWire session, as we said we do have it in the plan of things to add.
4. Make sure you get the latest ReWire update from Propellerhead

Often times ReWire problems may be linked to simple configuration issues. Things such as using a low-latency driver for your audio card, making sure nothing else is running in the background etc, can greatly improve results.

Hope this helps

Lubo Astinov

Hi!

1. If I set the buffer in Notion to 512, Live won't start at all (gets stuck at "Loading template...")
2. It works this way, but it really reduces the usability of Rewire if it will never be fixed - the whole point of two-way sync is that I can work with both programs and trigger and stop playback when ever I want (no matter which one of the programs is at foreground). Otherwise I have to switch window each time I want to start and stop playback. And if it will always be like this with Notion and Rewire, the value of Rewire is not then much better than normal midi sync....

Anyway, I haven't updated the Rewire yet, so maybe that will fix it. I'll try updating when at home! Thanks for the tips!
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby posssu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi,

I just installed the Rewire update 1.7 from Propellerheads site - no success.

-Live as slave: Live still gets stuck to the splash screen (it always has) if I'm trying to start it when Notion has buffer size of 512. Size of 256 works.
-Notion as slave: starts fine but cursor position doesn't sync when I start playback from Notion. So basically not usable when working in Notion.

Is it so that there won't be any fix if the tips above won't work? Or is there some problem you guys have found or do we just have to live with it?

It's really important that the Rewire sync of transport works both ways and would live up to its full potential. Rewire is one of the reasons I switched to Notion and even on demo page you demonstrate two-way sync.
Attachments
Näyttökuva 2010-03-16 kohteessa 21.48.31.png
Näyttökuva 2010-03-16 kohteessa 21.48.31.png (38.59 KiB) Viewed 11474 times
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby astinov » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi,

Just make some clarifications here:

Yes, of course we plan to address the ReWire transport sync issue. I was just giving you a workaround for the time being. I can't give any ETA right now, but all I can say is that it is in the list of high-priority items.

Regarding Live freezing on 512. I have noticed that if the buffer size is identical in the host and in the slave machine, this is when Live (running as slave) freezes. I have not seen any other application do this, but it seems that as long as the buffer sizes are different, it will launch fine.

We will investigate this specific problem as well.

Thanks

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby David Smith » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:08 am

I just began experimenting with rewire using Logic Pro 7 and Notion 3. I was able to operate them together. I didn't run into the need for leading measures so far, but it is a frequent reference in many posts I found. It takes some planning, but it's really cool when it's working, allowing extensions of each program.

FYI: It took me a while to discover that I must *install* the rewire tool. No one seems to ever mention this basic item. Propellerhead says it's already in re-wire-capable software, but I was not successful until I installed the Upate (http://www.propellerheads.se/download/updates_rewire/) on my OS 10.5.x imac.
David Smith

Postby posssu » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:49 am

astinov wrote:Hi,

Just make some clarifications here:

Yes, of course we plan to address the ReWire transport sync issue. I was just giving you a workaround for the time being. I can't give any ETA right now, but all I can say is that it is in the list of high-priority items.

Regarding Live freezing on 512. I have noticed that if the buffer size is identical in the host and in the slave machine, this is when Live (running as slave) freezes. I have not seen any other application do this, but it seems that as long as the buffer sizes are different, it will launch fine.

We will investigate this specific problem as well.

Thanks

Lubo Astinov

Thanks... sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I was just temporarily scared that if it doesn't work, then that's it... :)
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby luminous » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:06 pm

HI,

new user here, I am just starting to use notion (arrived last week) and having major problems. I use sonar 8 (latest version whatever that is) and notion seems to run ok (if a bit patchy under rewire), the MAJOR problem is that I can't record in notion at all . notion starts ok then records everything vertically ie if I play a semiquaver violin line then all my notes are recorded as 1 stacked giant chord.

Anyone any ideas?

This makes notion basically useless to me
luminous

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION