Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Anyone having problems with Notion as Rewire slave

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Anyone having problems with Notion as Rewire slave

Postby posssu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:47 am

I'm having the weirdest problems when Notion is running as Rewire slave to Ableton Live on a mac.

1) when I hit space to play in Notion, Live starts playback, but Notion doesn't. Another key press start Notion cursor. Also, Live doesn't really care what cursor position Notion has, it just starts where it is at the moment
2) I usually have 256 as buffer size in Notion, but if I have 512 and start Live, it won't start but freezes during the startup. On a mac, the playback buffer isn't something you can configure in Live when it's running as a slave - it's just unavailable.

So basically I can't really work with Notion in Rewire slave mode. Does anyone have something like this too? I've reported this as a bug already.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Re: Anyone having problems with Notion as Rewire slave

Postby mkiz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:55 am

I have been having some problems with Notion as a rewire slave in Sonar 8.53 when I try to use multiple rewire devices. I am using Sonar as Master and Notion3 and Vocaloid2 as slaves. Vocaloid responds just fine, but Notion playback doesn't start. If I try starting the playback from Notion, it sometimes plays one beat, and then stops.

mkiz
mkiz

Re: Anyone having problems with Notion as Rewire s

Postby posssu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:59 am

mkiz wrote:I have been having some problems with Notion as a rewire slave in Sonar 8.53 when I try to use multiple rewire devices. I am using Sonar as Master and Notion3 and Vocaloid2 as slaves. Vocaloid responds just fine, but Notion playback doesn't start. If I try starting the playback from Notion, it sometimes plays one beat, and then stops.

mkiz

Really weird... on my computer it's just the opposite: Notion responds just fine and starts playback if I start it from Live, but it doesn't work at all if I launch it from Notion.

But something is seriously wrong there anyway...
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby pcartwright » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:45 am

I've had several problems here and there using Notion in Rewire mode. I can get Notion to work as rewire slave to Reaper, but I have to give several measures (usually 4) of rests in Notion or I experience stuttered/stalled playback in Notion (it almost seems like Notion needs to get off to a running start at the beginning). I can't use Notion as rewire host with Reaper at all (that includes Reaper x86 or Reaper x64 with the 32 bit bridge). I know there are a lot of requests out there, but I hope the rewire bugs get worked out in one of the upcoming updates.

Also... Can any of you guys record in Notion while it's in rewire slave mode? I know possu and I have discussed this briefly in another post, but I'd like to take the time to see if anyone has the same issue. When I try to record MIDI information in Notion while it's in rewire mode, I hear the first click of the metronome, but then the program seems to freeze up until I disarm recording. Ideally, I would love to record some MIDI tracks from Reaper into Notion via an internal MIDI port, but this isn't possible given the situation I just described.
pcartwright

Postby 4tune » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:56 pm

astinov wrote:Currently, NOTION transmits only audio and syncing info using ReWire. We will include the MIDI transfer as well though in an update. We used Cubase 4 and 5 here, which version of Cubase do you own? (PM please)

Thanks

Lubo Astinov

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=222

This is a quote from Lubo back in October. I guess it still stands for the moment with regards to rewire MIDI?
4tune

Postby posssu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 pm

No but my syncing doesn't work... even the videos at Notion website show that it should.
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby 4tune » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:06 pm

posssu wrote:No but my syncing doesn't work... even the videos at Notion website show that it should.

The quote wasn`t aimed at the bug reports. Maybe I should have made that clearer :) It was just that pcartwright mentioned about a midi recording issue so I thought it was relevant to post.

I agree with everyone posting here that all these syncing bugs should be addressed. Also I hope full MIDI rewire implementation will be added to in my wishlist :)
4tune

Postby posssu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:45 pm

4tune wrote:
posssu wrote:No but my syncing doesn't work... even the videos at Notion website show that it should.

The quote wasn`t aimed at the bug reports. Maybe I should have made that clearer :) It was just that pcartwright mentioned about a midi recording issue so I thought it was relevant to post.

I agree with everyone posting here that all these syncing bugs should be addressed. Also I hope full MIDI rewire implementation will be added to in my wishlist :)

Ah, I see, sorry. :) I didn't even know there's a MIDI-possibility in Rewire spec!!! Or maybe I did - is it only one-way? Or is it two-way nowadays? That would be really cool to have in Notion!
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby 4tune » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:02 pm

posssu wrote:Ah, I see, sorry. :) I didn't even know there's a MIDI-possibility in Rewire spec!!! Or maybe I did - is it only one-way? Or is it two-way nowadays? That would be really cool to have in Notion!

This is from the propellerheads site, unfortunately it is not too clear on whether it is one/ two way (with regards ro master/slave). It would be preferable for two way of course :) :

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/r ... cle=rewire
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Real-time streaming of up to 4080 individual MIDI channels from one application to another (255 MIDI buses with 16 channel per bus). This feature requires ReWire 2.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4tune

Postby pcartwright » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Have you tried adding a few measures of rests to see if that will give Notion some "momentum." I know it sounds odd, but it works for me.
pcartwright

Next

Return to NOTION