Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Help! Multi-voice by default when importing midi?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Help! Multi-voice by default when importing midi?

Postby Cerb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi,

First of all thank you Notion for the long awaited update, indeed convert to notation is impressively fast and i'm glad to be able at last to import my midi compositions! :)

However, I'm still fighting with an issue that is a real pain in the neck : multiple voices are created automatically when I import midi files (of course after convert to notation), even when my midi tracks have been quantized.

It may be that I don't do this correctly, however my tracks are correctly handled by the Sonar notation view.

The Help pdf document is full of information about splitting a single voice (which is theoretically the default entry mode) into multiple voices, but I was unable to find any tip about reducing multi-voice to single voice.

Does anyone have any advice? Is this potentially a bug in the new midi import implementation?

Thanks a lot for your support.
Cerb

Re: Help! Multi-voice by default when importing midi?

Postby astinov » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:19 am

Hey Cerb,

Is the midi file that you are importing, consisting of "grand staff" instruments that are coming in as single staff? If thats the case, you can try changing the staff to Grand staff before converting to notation. That way the split point will kick-in and you should get better results.

Hope that helps

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby Cerb » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi Lubo

Thank you very much for your answer.

Indeed the midi file I import consists in a "grand staff" instrument, but I actually activated grand staff before converting to notation, as you advised me in another post.

However, here is what I mean :
At the top the result of convert to notation, and below a copy of the original midi sequence.

I can't quite get why the converted notation shows several voices. I can understand that in examples where the midi data would be a bit mixed up, Notation could have problems sorting different voices, but this example seems quite straight : all my midi data is quantized.

Edit : just to adress any doubt since it doesn't show on the picture, this was correctly set at a 6/8.
Cerb

Postby astinov » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Cerb,

Hey thanks for the picture btw, it really helps!

From what I can see there are two notes that are not properly assigned - the low D in the left hand and the A in the right hand. As to why, we'll have to take a deeper look at that.

To help with your current problem though - I would try using the Switch Voices feature for those two notes. This should snap them back in the proper voices.

Hope that helps.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby Cerb » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks Lubo, indeed this helps a lot... but it's very tedious when I have to do this for 1 or 2 notes in each measure of a piece ;)
I'll wait to see what you guys in Notion think of this issue after a deeper look.
Cerb

Postby Cerb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi

Are there any news about this issue?
Cerb

Postby Cerb » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:59 am

Hi

Bump and update for this issue.

I posted a bug report but have received no news about it.
I think it would be nice to be able to choose between no quantization or different quantization levels when importing midi files.

Trying to understand a bit on my own, it appeared to me that midi import results (in terms of "hidden" quantization) seems different when you use the "convert to notation" feature on an imported seq. staff and when you copy/paste midi from an imported seq staff to a basic notation staff.

Lubo, it would be nice if you could give some clarification about this :)
Cerb

Postby davep » Sat May 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Any news on this old issue? I've been having the same problem. Most of my single-voice MIDI imports become two voices. I do the "swap voices" trick but it isn't much help – I still have to jockey a bunch of notes and deal with a bunch of extra rests. It's really tedious.

I'd love if the MIDI import was a seamless process. It would make Notion perfect.

So any news?

Thanks Dave
davep

Return to NOTION