Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Multitrack sequencer possible?

Multitrack sequencer possible?

Postby artypete » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi all,
As a prospective purchaser of Notion for ipad, I'm curious to find out its capabilities of real time multitrack recording (not audio, note information).
I'm attracted by the very high quality sounds and primarily want to use Notion with a virtual keyboard as a means to create multiinstrument composition ideas while away from home. The scoring facilities are of far less a concern to me.
Yes, I've tried garage band and it doesn't really work great, the biggest issues being you don't get a virtual keyboard for strings(!).

The online materials for Notion don't make it clear at all what kind of access you have to sounds unless it's step input recording.

Any help appreciated :)
artypete

Re: Multitrack sequencer possible?

Postby ghess1000 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:23 am

Do you have a MIDI device for your iPad? That's the only way to do real time recording. But real-time is never going to be the best way to work with a notation program. It will work for simple things, but anything remotely complicated won't work. Notation is only an approximation of what we play and it's far more complex than simply recording note ons and offs and velocities. There are articulations, dynamics, etc. none of which are MIDI messages. Step time is the best way to work on the iPad for composition, IMHO.
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Return to Notion for iPad