Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Grainger Colonial Song Remastered

A Place to Share Your NOTION Files

Grainger Colonial Song Remastered

Postby idiotSavant » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:31 am

This recording has been far and away the most downloaded piece I've posted to SoundCloud to date, with well over 200 plays. I've remastered the piece yet again, preparing for album release. This recording in MIRPro Sage Gateshead Hall One with ValhallaRoom reverb tail. Some slight compression added on this new master using HOFA IQ-Comp. Download for best sound quality.

Enjoy and as always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/tensivity/grainger-colonial-song
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Re: Grainger Colonial Song Remastered

Postby saintdufus » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:56 am

idiotSavant wrote:This recording has been far and away the most downloaded piece I've posted to SoundCloud to date, with well over 200 plays. I've remastered the piece yet again, preparing for album release. This recording in MIRPro Sage Gateshead Hall One with ValhallaRoom reverb tail. Some slight compression added on this new master using HOFA IQ-Comp. Download for best sound quality.

Enjoy and as always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/tensivity/grainger-colonial-song

When you said it had been downloaded 200+ times, I thought, "Wow, this must be one amazing song."

Turns out it's not really a song at all, as there are no lyrics (or even voices) in it.

Nor does the composition itself seem particularly spectacular (though it's not bad).

Your rendition, like all your orchestrations, is quite skillfully done, though I confess this is the first version I have heard.

But still I am mystified: why are so many people downloading this? What exactly is the appeal of this particular work? I have heard many of your compositions that I would download before this one--why do you think this is so popular?
saintdufus

Postby idiotSavant » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:39 pm

saintdufus wrote:why are so many people downloading this? What exactly is the appeal of this particular work? I have heard many of your compositions that I would download before this one--why do you think this is so popular?

Saint, thanks for the comps. You ask a very good question actually. I've been a huge fan of the music of Percy Grainger since I was young, about 30 years now at least, so I've known this piece for a long time. There's a certain wistfulness about this piece, a feeling of longing, that speaks to me. That's what appeals to me, maybe to others as well.

But it may also have to do as much with the keywords I used when I posted it. I try to include a keyword for the country of origin of the composer or the piece when I post. In this case, since Grainger was born in Australia and this piece is about that country, I used that as a keyword. I think Aussies (like most non-Americans) are more inclined to classical music, and so maybe this keyword returned a lot of interest. I really can't say.

I also have to say that I mis-stated the facts, unintentionally. I said it has been downloaded over 200 times. That was not correct. It has been played over 200 times.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby saintdufus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:38 am

Ah, that is indeed different. It makes much more sense that it has been played 200 times.

It's funny: I didn't even realize one could download SoundCloud recordings until you mentioned it; and it turns out you didn't even mean to say it. ;)

My compliments again on your arrangement.
saintdufus

Return to Share NOTION Files