Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Lock-Track Feature Request & velocity adjustment

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Lock-Track Feature Request & velocity adjustment

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat May 17, 2014 11:57 am

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:Ok i just want to say its 21st century, not Renaissance
In this age, its a fact that if a program evolves way too slow,
most people wont wait for it, they just switch side

There is no program on this planet that does what NOTION 4 does, which is a very important bit of information . . .

I have Finale and Sibelius; and if I needed to do advanced engraving I would use one of them; but for composing music using VSTi virtual instruments they do not do what NOTION 4 does . . .

It is not like the soda pop universe, where there is Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola . . . .

NOTION 4 is the real thing and the only thing--which for reference actually is Mexican Coca-Cola made with pure cane sugar--and there is nothing else like it . . .

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:Ok let return to the original topic
so in the other word, if i import midi form notion to a daw,
theres no way to avoid re-loading/re-opening
the vsts that already loaded in notion...?
(Ok , Say, i loaded kontakt piano in track 1 , after importing that track from notion to a daw, i have to load kontakt piano into the daw again for that track, right?
so far my experience tells me : right
but im not that sure if any trick that can save me time)

As explained in one of my previous posts, there are several ways to get the MIDI notes from NOTION 4 into your DAW application . . .

I like to do everything in ReWire 2 sessions, so I would do it with a NOTION 4 External MIDI staff, a "virtual MIDI cable", and a MIDI track in the Digital Performer (MOTU), but I also could do it with Ableton Live 9, Logic Pro X (Apple), or PreSonus Studio One 2.6.2 Producer, with the only caveat being that I am using the trial version of Ableton Live 9 but I have licenses for Logic Pro X and Studio One 2.6.2 Producer. I am planning to do a bit of experimenting with Cubase (Steinberg), since it also has a trial version . . .

Regarding the VSTi virtual instrument, if you are doing this in a ReWire 2 session (see above), then the VSTi virtual instrument needs to be loaded to your DAW application only, hence it is there and only is reloaded when you close the DAW project and later open the DAW project . . .

The NOTION 4 External MIDI staff does not have an assigned instrument in NOTION 4. It has the music notation, but NOTION 4 sends the MIDI messages for the music notation via a "virtual MIDI cable" to the other end of the "virtual MIDI cable", which in this scenario will be an instrument track in your DAW application to which you have assigned the VSTi virtual instrument . . .

This works nicely on the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (Early 2008) with 20GB of memory running Mac OS X 10.9.2 (Mavericks) . . .

I do everything on the Mac, so I have no way to verify that it works correctly on a Windows computer, but if it is a peppy Windows computer with all the additionally required hardware and software, then it probably works . . .

This YouTube video tutorial shows Logic Pro X (Apple) recording MIDI sent from a NOTION 4 External MIDI staff via a "virtual MIDI cable" in a ReWIre 2 session where Logic Pro X is the ReWire 2 host controller and NOTION 4 is a ReWire 2 slave. The MIDI notes play a Kontakt 5 concert piano. NOTION 4 provides the MIDI but the Kontakt 5 concert piano is hosted by Logic Pro X, and the MIDI is recorded in Logic Pro X where it can be edited and enhanced with a full range of MIDI CC and other events, including editing notes and adjusting velocity and other parameters, which is fabulous . . .

[NOTE: When the velocity for a note is being adjusted, Logic Pro X plays the note several times so that you can hear the note played at the adjusted velocity, which is a nice feature. I used Logic Pro X, because it is easier to edit velocity in Logic Pro X. Digital Performer provides a tiny dot for velocity, and as best as I can determine it is not easy to do velocity editing in Digital Performer 8.06, but I did not devote a lot of attention to it, perhaps 15 minutes. The way Logic Pro X handles velocity editing is very nice . . . ]

LPX N4 K5 ReWire2 Velocity

Fabulous! :D
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby SouLcRusaDer_kA » Sun May 18, 2014 1:56 am

ok thank you Surfwhammy
i ll try that and let you know how its going
SouLcRusaDer_kA

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun May 18, 2014 3:44 am

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:ok thank you Surfwhammy
i ll try that and let you know how its going

Glad to help! :)

Based on your post about the "Rewire.dll" file and the screen capture, I think you are doing this on a Windows computer, so the DAW application will be different, since Logic Pro X (Apple) only runs on the Mac, but there are DAW applications for the Windows universe that have the same or similar MIDI editing capabilities . . .

You will need a "virtual MIDI cable", and there are "virtual MIDI cable" utility programs for Windows, and you might already have one . . .

I am making progress on MIDI, but to put my current MIDI expertise into perspective, the YouTube video tutorial was the first time I edited the velocity of MIDI notes, and as noted while it can be done in Digital Performer 8.06 (MOTU), I think one needs a magnifying glass, since for example the "On Velocity" values are tiny points, and while there are bars and lines, they do not appear to work for velocity, hence the reason that I switched to Logic Pro X (Apple) for the YouTube video tutorial, since the way it is done in Logic Pro X is better . . .

THOUGHTS

With the caveat that I have not tried this, I think that there is a way to have multiple NOTION 4 External MIDI staves, each assigned to a different MIDI channel, such that they provide the music notation and corresponding MIDI for each instrument in a Kontakt 5 MULTI . . .

I am not certain this will work or how it is done, but intuitively I think it is possible, which I base in part on there being a list of inputs in either Digital Performer 8.06 or Logic Pro X that was a set like {Kontakt 5.1, Kontakt 5.2, . . . , Kontakt 5.16}, which suggests that this refers to 16 channels for Kontakt 5 . . .

If this is possible, I think that getting it working the first time will be a rather complex activity for several hours, but the nice aspect of this type of thing is that once you have it working you can do a "Save As . . . " of the NOTION 4 score and the DAW application project and then use them as user-defined custom templates, which is the way I do Digital Project user-defined templates . . .

For example, I have a Digital Performer project that has a separate stereo track for each ReWire 2 channel pair, and I use it as template when I start a new song, in which case I open the Digital Performer project and immediately do a "Save As . . . " to create the Digital Performer project for the new song, followed by closing the "template" project and then opening the new project that I created by doing a 'Save As . . . ", all of which takes less than a minute, since there is no audio data in the "template" project. Doing this by starting with a blank project would take a while, but this way I can do it very quickly and do not need to setup and to configure the various input and output connections, tracks, and so forth . . .

GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR NOTION EXTERNAL MIDI AND DAW APPLICATION VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT HOSTING IN A REWIRE 2 SESSION

These are the general guidelines for the ReWIre 2 session strategy, which is important because ReWire 2 coordinates and synchronizes the MIDI, transports, and so forth:

(1) Use a NOTION 4 External MIDI staff with a "virtual MIDI cable" . . .

(2) Use the "virtual MIDI cable" to connect NOTION 4 to the DAW application, and do this in a ReWire 2 session where the DAW application is the ReWire 2 host controller and NOTION 4 is a ReWire 2 slave . . .

(3) Use one of the DAW application's native instruments or use a VSTi virtual instrument in the DAW application . . .

(4) Do whatever is required to get the incoming MIDI from NOTION 4 directed to the instrument track in the DAW application . . .

(5) Record the MIDI in the DAW application, and after doing this you then can edit and enhance the MIDI sequence using the DAW application's MIDI editing tools . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. Keep us posted on how this is working for you, and while I cannot be much help on Windows specifics, most of the NOTION 4 and Kontakt 5 stuff will be the same for the Mac and Windows, so I can provide a bit of help with that part if you have questions or need to see how it is done on the Mac . . .
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby SouLcRusaDer_kA » Sun May 18, 2014 7:40 am

yes i use Windows
right now i use MIDI Yoke as "virtual midi cable"
tested with Studio One 2 & FL Studio
all got "MIDI feedback detected - Disabling Port 1" error when i entered a note into Notion
no idea what the wrong is

and i am a bit confused,
since Notion just send MIDI to DAW
it can do the same thing without Rewire (?)
SouLcRusaDer_kA

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun May 18, 2014 10:38 am

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:yes i use Windows
right now i use MIDI Yoke as "virtual midi cable"
tested with Studio One 2 & FL Studio
all got "MIDI feedback detected - Disabling Port 1" error when i entered a note into Notion
no idea what the wrong is

Some of the MIDI setup and configuration error messages can be a bit confusing. I have Studio One 2.6.2 Producer (PreSonus), so I will do an experiment (see the next post, which has the solution and a new YouTube video tutorial) . . .

When I was configuring Logic Pro X (Apple) for the YouTube music video, I got essentially the same error, except that instead of "feedback detected" is referred to "endless loop", but the result was the same, which specifically was that it was disabled or not allowed . . .

When I checked everything, I noticed that the inputs and outputs were the same, and this is the problem, or at least part of the problem . . .

In this scenario, NOTION 4 needs to send MIDI to the DAW application, which is done through the NOTION 4 MIDI Out port, but NOTION 4 does not need to have input from the DAW application, so one of the things I did was to not specify a MIDI In for NOTION 4, instead only specifying the MIDI Out port and by specifying "None" for the NOTION 4 MIDI In parameter . . .

I made a few other changes, but they were in the DAW application, and after I changed enough stuff it started working . . .

[NOTE: I just did an experiment and did not have a problem using IAC Bus 1 for the NOTION 4 MIDI In and MIDI Output (Port A), but this was one of the things I did. I think the problem is caused by the way the DAW application is configured or perhaps the "virtual MIDI cable" utility, so check everything, because changing something simple will solve the problem . . . ]

THOUGHTS

My MIDI expertise is limited, and what I do when there is a problem like this is a bit of checking to determine if a parameter looks odd, and if it does, then I change it, and until this happens a lot of times I usually forget what I did to make it work . . .

[NOTE: When something does not work, I see no point in trying to remember it, because then I am remembering stuff that does not work; but after thinking about it, this might have been when I trying to use a Logic Pro X External MIDI track to send the MIDI coming from NOTION 4 to a Logic Pro X Instrument track via a Logic Pro Auxiliary track or something strange like that; and somewhere in the process I recalled that it only requires a Logic Pro X Instrument track and that the incoming MIDI from NOTION 4 is specified as a parameter for the Logic Pro X Instrument track, hence the Logic Pro X External MIDI and Auxiliary tracks are not needed. Whatever it was, I found a combination that worked, which is the important thing. ReWire is similar, and it took me nearly three months to make sense of ReWire, but now I can tell someone how to configure an Apple computer for ReWire with most of the DAW applications and NOTION 4 in a few minutes, because I understand it intimately. I am not so far along with MIDI, so I need to ponder MIDI stuff for a while, which is fine with me . . . ]

Basically, something that has MIDI ports and channels as a parameter is configured so that what is being sent from NOTION 4 to the DAW application can be sent back immediately from the DAW application to NOTION 4, and this creates a "feedback" or an "endless loop", and there might be other names for it depending on the DAW application . . .

I do not think it is caused by the "Echo MIDI Input" option in NOTION 4 Preferences ("General" tab), since I always have this checked, even though for the most part I have no idea what it actually does . . .

If you check all the places where MIDI ports and channels are specified, this should be where the "feedback" or "endless loop" problem is occurring . . .

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:and i am a bit confused,
since Notion just send MIDI to DAW
it can do the same thing without Rewire (?)

The reason for ReWire 2 is that without it (a) the transports of NOTION 4 and the DAW application are not synchronized (Rewind, Stop, Forward, Play, Record); (b) the MIDI is not synchronized; (c) the tempo is not synchronized; and so forth . . .

In other words, while I think you can send MIDI from NOTION 4 to the DAW application outside of a ReWire 2 session, if the DAW application is not playing or recording, then without ReWire 2 the DAW application receives the MIDI and then immediately discards it, because it is stopped and is not doing anything, plus there is nothing to tell the DAW application it is supposed to be doing something . . .

ReWire 2 does a lot of work behind the scenes, and a good bit of the work is focused on infrastructure and keeping the applications participating in the ReWire 2 session synchronized and generally focused on coordinating and so forth . . .

It is a bit like running a private telephone line from your telephone to someone else's telephone, but their telephone does not have a bell that rings . . .

You pickup your telephone and start talking and what you are saying is sent across the private telephone line but the other person has no idea there is a telephone call. The other person's telephone gets the audio, but since the telephone bell does not ring, the other person does not know about it . . .

P. S. I was able to create the error in Digital Performer, and I did it by specifying IAC Bus 1 for both the input and output of a MIDI track, but as noted (see above), I do not remember how I created the error in Logic Pro X, but this should be enough information to recognize where the problem is occurring . . .

It probably is something similar . . . :ugeek:
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Sun May 18, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun May 18, 2014 2:21 pm

It took a few hours, but I discovered how to do this with Studio One 2.6.2 Producer (PreSonus) . . .

This is not difficult to do, but discovering how to do it takes a while . . .

The key is to create a new External Device, which needs to be a keyboard, since the MIDI being sent from the NOTION 4 External MIDI staff is like the MIDI that would be sent from a real MIDI keyboard. Done this way, it only requires an Instrument track in Studio One 2.6.2 Producer/Professional, where (a) the output of the Instrument track is the VSTi virtual instrument (Kontakt 5 in the YouTube video tutorial) and (b) the input to the Instrument track is the virtual keyboard External Device, which is virtual because it actually is the MIDI sent from the NOTION 4 External MIDI staff via a "virtual MIDI cable" . . .

This does not require an intermediate Audio track or other type of track in Studio One 2.6.2 Producer/Professional unless you also want to record the audio generated by the VSTi virtual instrument hosted by Studio One (see the second YouTube video tutorial below) . . .

Once I got it working, I created a new YouTube video tutorial to show how it works on the Mac . . .

Other than the virtual MIDI cable setup, it should be the same on a Windows computer . . .

[NOTE: This YouTube video tutorial focuses on recording MIDI and the required infrastructure . . . ]

Studio One 2.6.2 Producer, NOTION 4 External MIDI, and ReWire 2 ~ YouTube video tutorial

[NOTE: This YouTube video tutorial is a follow-up, and it focuses on recording the audio generated by the Kontakt 5 concert grand piano which is hosted by Studio One 2.6.2 Producer, but it also shows the MIDI being recorded . . . ]

Studio One 2.6.2 Producer, NOTION 4 External MIDI, Audio, and ReWire 2 ~ YouTube video tutorial

Lots of FUN! :D
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby SouLcRusaDer_kA » Mon May 19, 2014 10:25 am

ok,thank you!
after watch your video,
i get the MIDI notes recorded into Studio One 2 successfully

so.... the whole thing is:
after finishing proper 'virtual MIDI cable' setting
open two tracks in Studio one;
1st is Kontakt track for recode the midi notes
2nd is Notion rewire track (notion as slave)

'Notion rewire track' is Only for control the playback of Notion
that is ....when you clicked 'record' in Studio One
the 'rewire track' makes the Notion to start playback
then those notes send from Notion to S1's kontakt track

thats my understanding, is that correct?

edit:
yea, u say that no other track is needed
but i saw 2 tracks in S1 in your video and.. (sorry i cant read them, they r too small)
i cant get MIDI recorded with Kontakt track in S1 only
so i probably missed something ..(?)
i noticed that its not rewire2 in my PC, but rewire1.7, does it matter?
(i cant find rewire2 ~~)
SouLcRusaDer_kA

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon May 19, 2014 2:52 pm

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:ok,thank you!
after watch your video,
i get the MIDI notes recorded into Studio One 2 successfully

Glad to help! :)

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:so.... the whole thing is:
after finishing proper 'virtual MIDI cable' setting
open two tracks in Studio one;
1st is Kontakt track for recode the midi notes
2nd is Notion rewire track (notion as slave)

'Notion rewire track' is Only for control the playback of Notion
that is ....when you clicked 'record' in Studio One
the 'rewire track' makes the Notion to start playback
then those notes send from Notion to S1's kontakt track

thats my understanding, is that correct?

It is partially correct . . .

The NOTION track is in the Studio One mixer because I used the project for another experiment earlier this year, but at present there is nothing happening with the NOTION track, so I left it "parked" in the Studio One project, since I might do something with it later . . .

The transports are synchronized and coordinated because it is a ReWire session, not because there is a NOTION track in the Studio One mixer . . .

In this instance, nothing in NOTION 4 is generating audio, so there is no audio to send via ReWire 2 to the NOTION track in the Studio One mixer . . .

NOTION 4 is sending MIDI from the NOTION 4 External MIDI track, and this is sent through the "virtual MIDI cable", but the MIDI is synchronized, coordinated, and so forth by ReWire 2, since Studio One is the ReWire 2 host controller and NOTION 4 is a ReWire 2 slave . . .

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:edit:
yea, u say that no other track is needed
but i saw 2 tracks in S1 in your video and.. (sorry i cant read them, they r too small)
i cant get MIDI recorded with Kontakt track in S1 only
so i probably missed something ..(?)
i noticed that its not rewire2 in my PC, but rewire1.7, does it matter?
(i cant find rewire2 ~~)

[NOTE: Depending on your computer display, you can make the YouTube video tutorials larger, and depending on your web connectivity bandwidth you can run the YouTube music videos at higher resolution (up to 720 HD), where it looks very close to the way it looks on the 23" Apple Cinema Display I use here in the sound isolation studio. There are YouTube options for this. If you have a high-speed broadband cable web connection, then you can watch the YouTube video tutorials at full screen and 720 HD resolution . . . ]

Actually, there are several tracks in the Studio One project, where there is an Audio track for the vocal microphone; there is an Instrument track for Kontakt 5; there are two Output tracks; and there is a Master track that works primarily as a volume control for the master stereo output, but I hid most of them to keep the Studio One mixing board less cluttered . . .

In the second YouTube video tutorial, there is an additional Audio track where the audio generated by Kontakt 5 is recorded; and there is a Bus track that acts as an intermediary channel to transfer the Kontakt 5 generated audio from the Instrument track, where it is a "Send" to the Audio track, where it is the "Input" . . .

This part can be a bit confusing at first, but what happens in Studio One is that when you add a "Send" to an Instrument track, this causes a Bus track to be created automatically . . .

The Bus track typically is there as a piece of infrastructure, so it does not need to be visible, and for the most part it appears to be doing nothing, but it is part of the "wiring" that makes it possible to send audio from an Instrument track via a bus to an Audio track, and the way it works is that to record audio in Studio One, you need an Audio track . . .

For reference, Logic Pro X does it pretty much the same way, as does Ableton Live 9, but Digital Performer 8.06 does this without needing to create the intermediate Bus tracks, which is nice, except that Logic Pro X and Studio One make it easier to edit MIDI note velocity and so forth, noting that I have not tried this with Ableton Live 9 or Cubase, yet . . .

Regarding ReWire, the difference is that ReWire 1.7 is 32-bit only, which means that you are running NOTION 4 and Studio One in 32-bit mode . . .

In contrast, ReWire 2 provides both 32-bit and 64-bit modes, but only one at a time . . .

I did a quick check of your posts, and I see that you are running NOTION 4 in 32-bit mode, and ReWire 1.7 works, since it is 32-bit only . . .

However, you also can run NOTION 4 in 64-bit mode, but it requires a separate install in the Windows universe, and your NOTION 4 license provides for this . . .

If you install the 64-bit version of NOTION 4, then ReWire 2 will be installed . . .

ReWire 2 is the current version of ReWire . . .

Also, as you know, Kontakt 5 runs in 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode, and generally the sound is better when you do everything in 64-bit mode, plus you can use the all the memory available on your Windows computer when NOTION 4, Studio One 2.6.2 Producer/Professional, and Kontakt 5 are running in 64-bit mode . . .

When you run NOTION 4, Studio One 2.6.2, and Kontakt 5 in 32-bit mode, you are limited to at most 4GB of memory, since this is the maximum amount of memory that can be addressed and used with 32-bit addresses . . .

In contrast, in 64-bit mode, you can use a lot of memory, where the actual amount is limited only by how much memory you can install on your Windows machine, which typically will be 32GB or perhaps 64GB . . .

In particular, Kontakt 5 can be configured to use a lot memory, and this helps when there are several instruments in a Kontakt 5 MULTI, since with more memory the sound samples can be kept in memory, which is faster, rather than being loaded from hard disk as needed, which is slower . . .

NOTION 4 and Studio One 2.6.2 also will use more memory, but on the Mac I think the biggest benefit of having more memory is that the various VSTi virtual instrument engines can use more memory, which also is the case with VST effects plug-ins, as well as Audio Unit (AU) virtual instruments and effects although AU is only available on the Mac . . .

Lots of FUN!
:)
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby SouLcRusaDer_kA » Tue May 20, 2014 6:02 am

Um...
Based on the experience of the last night
i wouldnt be able to get midi notes recorded without a Notion track inside s1. Also, only one track is recorded (ie. Cant record multi-tracks)

And,
is it really possible to set up a rewire connection without that Notion track inside s1?
If its possible, then its totally out of my understanding~~
anyway, i just searched the s1 reference manual for that, but cant find anything related.

I will try it again tonight
by the way, i confirmed the midi error in the previous post, is due to the wrong midi route setting in Notion
(Ie. Both input,output are the same)
SouLcRusaDer_kA

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue May 20, 2014 12:15 pm

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:Based on the experience of the last night I wouldnt be able to get midi notes recorded without a Notion track inside s1.

This is a misunderstanding, and it is my fault, since I could have explained the rules in more detail in a less confusing way, but so what. I was young, wild, and had no sense at the time . . . :P

The key is that there needs to be a NOTION 4 ReWire object instantiated in the project . . .

NOTION 4 ReWire Object

When the NOTION 4 ReWire object is added to the project, it causes a default Instrument track to be created, and this is the NOTION 4 track that you saw in the two YouTube video tutorials . . .

But since there only are NOTION 4 External MIDI staves in the NOTION 4 project for the two YouTube video tutorials, there was no audio being generated by NOTION 4, hence no audio to send to the default NOTION 4 Instrument track . . .

From my perspective, in this scenario the NOTION 4 Instrument track is similar to the Bus track which is created automagically when you add a Send bus to an Instrument track, and in the second YouTube video tutorial I hid the Bus track, since it was not doing anything, hence just adds visual clutter . . .

I did not delete the NOTION 4 ReWire 2 object, and I did not delete the NOTION 4 Instrument track, but there was no visual activity on the NOTION 4 Instrument track, so I mentioned this, although perhaps in not such a clear way . . .

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:. . . only one track is recorded (ie. Cant record multi-tracks)

You can record multiple instruments in Studio One 2.6.2 with the instruments hosted in Studio One 2.6.2 and playing MIDI sent from multiple NOTION 4 External MIDI staves, as shown in the following new YouTube video tutorial . . .

[NOTE: There is no voice-over for this YouTube video tutorial, but it should be self-explanatory, since its purpose is to show that it is possible and practical to record several VSTi virtual instruments playing MIDI notes sent from NOTION 4 External Staves . . . ]

S1 N4 External MIDI Multiple Instruments ~ YouTube video tutorial

Understanding the rules and how to do this takes a bit of work, but it is not so difficult, except that one of the rules is not documented in an easily found location, if at all . . .

The sequence of actions is a follows:

(1) Create an Instrument in the Instruments section of the Studio One 2.6.2 Mixer. This causes an Instrument track to be created, but the Instrument track does not have the required input and output fields, which is a problem . . .

[NOTE: When you click on the plus "+", the list of all available instruments will appear, and you then can select one of them to create a new Instrument. I think it is easier to understand if you call it an "Instrument object", even though like ReWire object, when you create or instantiate one, you get a corresponding track as a bonus. The problem is that the Instrument track created automatically does not input and output fields, hence the second step, which follows . . . ]

(2) So, after you create the new Instrument, the next step is to create a new Instrument track in the section at the top-left of the Studio One 2.6.2 workspace, and you do this specifically by clicking on the plus "+" icon, as shown in the following screen capture:

[NOTE: For lack of a better name, at present I call this the "Track Lane" . . . ]

There might be another way to do this, but this is the only way I have found that shows the input and output fields, which are needed since this is where you specify (a) the output, which will be the VSTi virtual instrument, and (b) the input, which will be the "virtual MIDI cable" . . .

This also is where you specify channel numbers . . .

Clicking on the plus "+" icon causes the "Add Tracks" dialog to be displayed, and it looks like this:

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:is it really possible to set up a rewire connection without that Notion track inside s1?

You need the NOTION 4 ReWire object; and when you instantiate the NOTION 4 ReWire object, Studio One 2.6.2 automagically creates a default NOTION 4 Instrument track, which is necessary . . .

Your observation is correct, and your thinking is good! :D

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:by the way, i confirmed the midi error in the previous post, is due to the wrong midi route setting in Notion
(Ie. Both input,output are the same)

This depends on how one reads it . . .

In the NOTION 4 project I used for the YouTube video tutorials, I had MIDI Input set to "IAC Bus 1", which is one of the "virtual MIDI cables" and I had the MIDI Output for Port A set to "IAC Bus 1" as well, and this was not a problem . . .

Whether this is a matter of no MIDI being sent to NOTION 4 is a possibility, but it does not appear to cause an endless loop or feedback in NOTION 4, and it is not a problem with the Studio One 2.6.2 project . . .

The only time I was able to cause the endless loop or feedback error was in Digital Performer (MOTU), which I did by setting the input for a Digital Performer External MIDI track to "IAC Bus 1" and used "IAC Bus 1" for the output, as well . . .

The solution in that instance was to use "IAC Bus 1" for input and "IAC Bus 2" for output, but I was not actually doing anything with that track, and it was just an experiment to determine if I could cause the error . . .

I think the error also happened in Logic Pro X, but I have not been able to recreate it . . .

And my overall expertise in MIDI is not far enough along to be able to explain this particular behavior, so my strategy is to do experiments and to use the techniques that work, while making an effort to forget the techniques that do not work . . .

Explained another way, knowing and understanding how to cause an error intentionally is an advanced skill, and it is anathema to the way I think . . .

I cause errors accidentally, but causing errors on purpose is different, and most of the time when I cause an error it is because someone else did something that I would not do, so the idea that doing it causes an error is a bit alien to the way I think . . .

An example is the thin metal pouring spout for a salt container, and I cannot count the number of times I have tried to open one of them and jammed it under a fingernail; but after a while, I switched to using a knife to open a new container of salt, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :D
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION