Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Using Vienna in Notion 4

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Using Vienna in Notion 4

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:51 pm

There are two ways to use VSL in Notion.

1. As a Custom VST

Custom VST.png
Custom VST.png (45.23 KiB) Viewed 35234 times

This method of using VSL is found by going to the "VST" menu in score setup. This is a custom setup and if you want to use it, you will need to have some form of Rules in the folder stored in the same location as the file you are trying to use. You can use a custom Vienna Instrument or a custom Vienna Ensemble instance. You can use this possibility with both Vienna Instruments Software or with Vienna Ensemble Software.

2. As a Notion Preset

Notion VSL Presets.png
Notion VSL Presets.png (16.16 KiB) Viewed 35234 times

This method is found in the VSL SE or VSL SE Pro Menu in Score setup. These presets use our custom rules that are set in the program. There are 4 different sets of VSL Presets that one can be found if Notion. It depends on what software and what instruments you have purchased from Vienna.

a. If you have purchased Vienna Instruments, you can use either the "VSL Special Edition" or "VSL SE (Notion 3)" presets.
b. If you have purchased Vienna Instruments Pro, you can use either of the above or "VSL Special Edition Pro" or "VSL SE (Notion 3)" presets.
c. If you have the Legacy DVD Special Edition versions, you will want to use "VSL SE (Notion 3)" presets. There is an update for these sounds on the VSL website under Special Edition>Special Edition Legacy Sounds Update
d. If you have the Download Version of the latest Special Edition bundles 1-4, then you will want to use the "VSL Special Edition" or "VSL Special Edition Pro" presets.

Also located in these 4 Menus, you will see a sub-menu called "Special Staffs". In this sub-menu, you can use an "Empty Ensemble" instance. To use the Notion Custom Preset rules of Vienna Instruments inside of a Vienna Ensemble instance, you must use the Empty Ensemble instance from the Special Staffs sub-menu in one of the 4 VSL menus mentioned above.

NOTE: The "Empty Ensemble" sub-menu is called "Custom" in the "VSL SE (Notion 3)" preset menus.

I know this is a lot of information, but you must first determine what you have purchased from VSL. Then make the necessary adjustments to use whichever sets or menus to choose from, based on what you own.

Vienna offers many different products and purchase paths. They have updated and grown and there is a huge amount of customization that they provide. We strive to provide options for every possible combination of use that they are providing paths to. Each version is slightly different and requires a menu for whatever users have purchased. We are striving to stay congruent with their changes.

Once you have determined the appropriate versions of Vienna Software, Notion Presets, and Customization you are able to use, you must point the Vienna Directory manager to the appropriate locations on your computer.

1. Add folders where your sounds are located to the Directory Manager.
2. Set the location of your Custom Data folder

Directory Manager.png
Directory Manager.png (63.81 KiB) Viewed 35234 times

The custom data that you will need can be found here:

http://www.notionmusic.com/support/downloads.html

Choose the "Other" Tab

Download the appropriate VSL Presets that you own taking into account the above information on Special Edition libraries. When you put them into your Custom Data folder, they will show up in your Vienna Instruments Presets window.

Here are your choices:

-Notion 3 VSL SE fxp presets - compatible with "VSL SE (Notion 3)" presets
-Notion 4 Vienna Special Edition Updated Presets - compatible with "VSL Special Edition" presets
-Notion 4 Vienna Pro Special Edition Updated Presets - compatible with "VSL Special Edition Pro" presets

I recommend getting the "fxp presets" and also one of the "Notion 4 presets" depending on whether you have Pro. They will both show up in Vienna Instruments, and you can use whichever version at any time. I would also recommend to anyone who is interested in using Vienna, watch these videos:

Creating VST Templates Part 1 & 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0kR6mU31YQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLLq43pUwkk

I hope this helps,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using Vienna in Notion

Postby bitfeld » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks for this summary!
bitfeld

Re: Using Vienna in Notion 4

Postby idiotSavant » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:58 am

Admin wrote:
This method of using VSL is found by going to the "VST" menu in score setup. This is a custom setup and if you want to use it, you will need to have some form of Rules in the folder stored in the same location as the file you are trying to use. You can use a custom Vienna Instrument or a custom Vienna Ensemble instance. You can use this possibility with both Vienna Instruments Software or with Vienna Ensemble Software.

-Admin

What the heck does this mean? Some sort of rules??? In the same location as the file you are trying to use??? The Notion file? What file?

I'm so confused. I want to use Vienna Ensemble but I don't get any articulations. I see all the presets, but when I select them it doesn't make any difference. Can someone help me?

Thanks!
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby Brian2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:14 am

idiotSavant wrote:
What the heck does this mean? Some sort of rules??? In the same location as the file you are trying to use??? The Notion file? What file?

I'm so confused. I want to use Vienna Ensemble but I don't get any articulations. I see all the presets, but when I select them it doesn't make any difference. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

The videos above lay much of it out, is there a place where it doesn't match your setup?
--.42.--
Brian2

Postby idiotSavant » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Finally figured it out with the videos. I realized that since I don't have Vienna Ensemble Pro, I have to create an ensemble using the Vienna Ensemble (not Pro) version, then I can create a staff part using Vienna Pro Instruments.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby slm57 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:31 am

It's very complicated and confusing! Appointment of VST (AU) tools and MIDI channels should be in the mixer. Instrument names, response - it must also change in the mixer. Everything should be simple and clear! Now it's just - the horror!! :o :( :o
slm57

Postby DaddyO » Thu May 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Revisiting trying to set up Notion 4 for VSL Special Edition use. I have Volume 1 and Volume 1 PLUS.

Following the tutorial video, in Setup when the instructor clicks on VSL Special Edition Pro, then Special Staffs, then Empty Ensemble, it appears that this automatically opens an instance Vienna Ensemble Pro for him. He has previously manually started VE Pro Server. Of course, he is using a Mac.

I have a PC, and I have only the standard Vienna Ensemble, not the pro version. From Notion Score Setup, when I start Vienna Ensemble Server, then click VSL Special Edition Pro, then Special Staffs, then Empty Ensemble, it does NOT open an instance of Vienna Ensemble. If I manually open such an instance, there is not connection between the Notion Empty Ensemble staff and the instance of Vienna Ensemble I manually opened. So the Notion Empty Ensemble staff has no connection to VE when I try it automatically as in the video, and when I try to do it manually it's as if Notion can't recognize the instance, thus no connection again.

Any suggestions?

Postby wcreed51 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Why use VE? Just select VSL SE Pro instruments. You will instantiate an instance VI Pro for each staff. Much simpler...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby DaddyO » Thu May 15, 2014 4:29 pm

I suppose only because that's the way the official Notion video said to do it.

If that is not the best way to do it, I certainly have no problem with simpler.

Postby DaddyO » Thu May 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Hmmm...

Just tried that and it IS much simpler, at least for initial setup. Is there any downside to doing this that people are aware of?

Next

Return to NOTION