Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Cut/paste vocal line without lyrics?

Cut/paste vocal line without lyrics?

Postby LGMinton » Fri May 09, 2014 11:02 am

I finished a four-part vocal arrangement and decided to add a piano reduction for rehearsal. When I try to cut and paste a vocal line onto the piano stave, the lyrics also appear. (Yes, I know that I should have done the reduction before putting in the lyrics, but that doesn't help now.) The alternatives seem to be writing in every note again, or deleting the words with the eraser. Both are labor-intensive.
Does anyone know a way to cut and paste without the lyrics?
LGMinton

Re: Cut/paste vocal line without lyrics?

Postby Randy » Sun May 11, 2014 9:48 pm

There is a solution:

Copy and paste as you usually do. Then highlight the newly pasted passage and select “More” and another window menu pops up. Under “Tools” choose “Clear Special" then choose upper voice and lyrics. When you choose “Clear” the lyrics will be gone.

This method works with other items not wanted in a paste destination.
Randy

Postby LGMinton » Thu May 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks, Randy. However, I think I might not be understanding completely. When I can try to paste in the alto line under the soprano line in the top keyboard stave, the alto line completely replaces what I just pasted in from the soprano line. Is it not possible to make a piano reduction using cut and paste on Notion?
LGMinton

Postby ghess1000 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:45 pm

I don't think you can do it on the iPad. Even on the desktop version, it's a little tricky to paste multiple voices and I'm not sure it works 100% of the time. Make sure the notes are in the correct voice first. Then you have to select the notes individually by click/shift-clicking the noteheads. You should be able to paste both voices onto the same staff. I've only done this with 2 voices, so if you have more I'd be interested in knowing if it worked. Also sometimes it seems to make a difference which voice is pasted first. I can always paste voice 1 onto voice 2, but not always the other way around.

I've asked them to add copy/paste voices. Maybe a few more "voices" in support would help :D
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Postby Randy » Fri May 16, 2014 8:50 pm

LGM, I thought you already knew how to copy and paste, but you were looking for a way to delete all lyrics in one step, in your destination paste. Lyrics default to the upper voice, so it's tricky to get the lower voice lyrics right. If your original vocal line (upper and lower voices) have lyrics, both soprano and alto should copy together, with lyrics, and then when you do the Clear Special, just lyrics, your two voices should still be there.

But if you are attempting to paste more than one line of 2-voice parts into a new, single part with two voices, well, because Notion for iPad only uses two voices per part, except for drums, I'm not sure how you would accomplish selective pasting of several voices from several parts into one part with only two voice. Is that what you're trying to do?
Randy

Postby LGMinton » Mon May 19, 2014 11:28 am

Thanks, Randy and George,
Pasting second voice into a piano stave won't work on the iPad. It wasn't that much trouble to enter the alto and tenor parts by hand. Also, that way there was no need to delete the lyrics on the second voice. I really appreciate your help,
Larry
LGMinton

Return to Notion for iPad