Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Where is ritardando?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Where is ritardando?

Postby saintdufus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:22 am

I have been searching for the ritardando (rit.) marking, but haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Can someone kindly tell me how to briefly slow down the tempo?
saintdufus

Re: Where is ritardando?

Postby Migot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Have a look into the Help menu page 11.34...

or here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/84y6ld7tdohyd ... .05.03.png

Alain
Alain LeBlond
Composer born in 1957

Notion 4,
VSL SE 1,2,Plus, MIRx
DP8, Finale 2012
OS X 10.9.3, Mavericks
Migot

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Another way to control the tempo is to use an NTempo staff, as demonstrated in the following YouTube video using two of the instruments from another YouTube video I did earlier this morning, albeit with a bit of editing on the guitar line, since the original guitar line was "composed" by clicking quickly on blank sheet music in Digital Performer 8 "QuickScribe" and then adjusted in the Digital Performer 8 "MIDI Editor" to put the piano roll bars in a "curvy" pattern, so other than the fact that the people of this planet--myself included--cannot do anything truly random, it was a bit random . . .

[NOTE: The conscious mind usually has few if any clues, but this is where the unconscious mind comes into play for composing in real-time on the fly . . . ]

Occasionally, I actually know what I am doing in advance, but most of the time I just put a bunch of notes on the blank sheet music in NOTION 4 and then listen to it and adjust it "by ear" until it sounds good, which is fabulous . . .

[NOTE: The rhythm pattern repeats, so the ideal way to do it is to discover how to do it with music notation, but at present this is not so easy for me to do. The benefit of doing it with music notation is that this makes it easier to adjust the repeat time for the echo units. The idea is there, and it is straightforward . . . ]

NOTION 4 NTempo Example ~ YouTube video

Fabulous!

In the NOTION 4 User Guide, the NTempo staff usually is shown with notes, but it works without notes . . .

As best as I can guess, the notes on an NTempo staff are added for conducting or as an additional set of visual cues . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. I do everything primarily "by ear", and playing syncopated rhythms is easy for me when I doing it with a real instrument, but doing syncopated rhythms with music notation is not so easy, although it is beginning to make a bit more sense . . .
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:26 am

I worked on the NTempo example for another 10 or so hours, and this is the version with regular timing (not using NTempo). There is a virtual festival of FabFilter Software Instruments Timeless 2 echo units, hence the "syrupy" aspect; and adding the Addictive Keys (XLN Audio) Grand Piano makes the keyboard timing precise, which is fabulous . . .

N4 Syrupy Strat (The Surf Whammys) ~ YouTube music video

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby saintdufus » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm

Migot wrote:Have a look into the Help menu page 11.34...

or here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/84y6ld7tdohyd ... .05.03.png

Alain

Thanks! :)
saintdufus

Postby saintdufus » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Surfwhammy wrote:I worked on the NTempo example for another 10 or so hours, and this is the version with regular timing (not using NTempo). There is a virtual festival of FabFilter Software Instruments Timeless 2 echo units, hence the "syrupy" aspect; and adding the Addictive Keys (XLN Audio) Grand Piano makes the keyboard timing precise, which is fabulous . . .

Thanks so much for your posts, but I must confess this is all a bit over my head right now. I'm a Notion newbie, just inching my way forward by baby steps.

I'll keep this in mind for later though. Thanks again.
saintdufus

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 am

saintdufus wrote:
Surfwhammy wrote:I worked on the NTempo example for another 10 or so hours, and this is the version with regular timing (not using NTempo). There is a virtual festival of FabFilter Software Instruments Timeless 2 echo units, hence the "syrupy" aspect; and adding the Addictive Keys (XLN Audio) Grand Piano makes the keyboard timing precise, which is fabulous . . .

Thanks so much for your posts, but I must confess this is all a bit over my head right now. I'm a Notion newbie, just inching my way forward by baby steps.

I'll keep this in mind for later though. Thanks again.

Glad to help! :)

It makes sense after a while, and it is FUN!

One of the great aspects of NOTION 4 is that when you have a nice bit of music that runs for approximately 1 minute and 30 seconds, you can do some simple copying, pasting, transforming, orchestrating, arranging, and producing and make it a 3 minute song, which is fabulous . . .

[NOTE: In the second half of the song, the MachFive 3 Vibrato Strat is transposed upward by a diatonic fourth (same octave); and there is an Addictive Drums vintage drumkit with a lot of reverb. The FabFilter Software Instruments Timeless 2 echo for the MF3 Vibrato Strat is changed to the "Constant Motion RD" preset, which is a producing thing that makes it sound "big" . . . ]

"Syrup" (The Surf Whammys) ~ NOTION 4 ~ YouTube music video

The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION