Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Dukas "L'apprenti Sorcier"

A Place to Share Your NOTION Files

Re: Dukas "L'apprenti Sorcier"

Postby idiotSavant » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:24 pm

Thorrild, another question came to mind:

Do you use a reference recording(s) when working on Notion projects?

Thanks!
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby crosati » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:48 am

Wow!

I've never seen it. It also is not in the user manual (OK, it's not really true: in the user's manual is called "soft attack" and it's just mentioned once, without an explanation of its meaning).

Thank you Thorrild for teaching me something new.

Claudio
crosati

Postby thorrild » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:43 am

idiotSavant wrote:Do you use a reference recording(s) when working on Notion projects?

No, at least not directly. But I've listened to recordings of this particular piece more times than I care to admit...

Other scores, like the Saint-Saëns "Africa", which is also on SoundCloud somewhere, I had never heard before (that's why I wanted to make a Notion version of it).

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby thorrild » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:52 am

crosati wrote:Thank you Thorrild for teaching me something new.

Di niente. I learned about it from this forum ...I guess it's good for something. ;)

Best,
T
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Frieda » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:10 am

Hi,

Very impressive! A great performance.

Frieda
Frieda

Postby saintdufus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:18 pm

This sounds amazing...can I ask you, was this created entirely with Notion, or did you import other sounds and samples?

I have only recently discovered Notion, and it's compositions like this that have got me thinking it has way better instrument sounds than Finale...unless this creation was made with more than just Notion.

If I were to purchase Notion 4 for $99, could I create sounds like these? Or would I need additional products as well?

Thanks and congrats on the beautiful piece.
saintdufus

Postby thorrild » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi saintdufus,

Thanks for your kind words. If you look back over the previous posts in this thread, you'll find a list of the sounds that are not Notion's own; they are from a pretty inexpensive library called Garritan Personal Orchestra. GPO is directly supported by Notion and does not require that you write your own rules to make it work.

Besides GPO, I used Notion's own expansion sounds. If you like Notion with its basic sound set, I think you will probably like the expansion sounds as well. They give you a few more choices and expand the number of available playing techniques for certain instruments. Detailed info about expansion sounds is available in Notion's own store, which you can get to from this forum.

There is one more little gizmo I used as an instrument insert for "L'apprenti Sorcier", and it's a kind of placement plugin that allows you to place each instrument not only left to right, but also front to back. It's called Virtual Sound Stage, and I think it cost me $99. But don't worry about things like that until you get more familiar with all the things Notion can do without additional stuff.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby saintdufus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:36 am

Dear Thorrild,

Thank you for your kind response and information.

It sounds like Garritan Personal Orchestra was instrumental in creating the realistic sounds you've generated here; so I will count on purchasing Garrison along with Notion.

I'm curious: what does Notion sound like on its own? I don't know if there's a "trial" version of Notion...are there files on this board that were created with just Notion, unaided by Garrison or other programs?

What does Notion sound like by itself? Is there a way to find out?

Thank you for your assistance!
saintdufus

Postby thorrild » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:41 am

saintdufus,

No, what I said was that I used almost exclusively Notion's sounds and expansion sounds. Although I like a couple of GPO's sounds better than Notion's, I consider the package on the whole inferior. In this score, I used only the Timpani and Bass Drum, both of which have a little more oomph than Notion's samples. The rest of it is Notion.

I can recommend getting the expansion sounds from Notion. They are very well integrated with the "built-in" sounds, and they cover almost every symphonic need. After you have familiarized yourself with Notion's own sounds you may want to get some third-party sound libraries, but I wouldn't recommend doing that from day one.

I found an old demo file that used to ship with Notion. It uses only Notion's built-in sounds, not any expansion sounds. The music is Tchaikovski's Chinese Dance from the Nutcracker, and I've attached it below. [Correction: I can't upload attachments right now, but will do it later.]

You can also take a listen to my playback file of the overture to Wagner's Tannhäuser Overture, which was made using Notion's own sounds plus Notion's expansion sounds. Nothing from any other company, but more than just the built-in sound set. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5750

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby thorrild » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:50 am

saintdufus,

Here is the promised demo file of music from the Nutcracker Ballet. It was made using only the sounds that come with Notion when you buy it.

Best,
Thorrild
Chinese Dance 8bit.wav
(5.39 MiB) Downloaded 404 times
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

PreviousNext

Return to Share NOTION Files