Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

VSL Dimension String Orchestra Test

A Place to Share Your NOTION Files

VSL Dimension String Orchestra Test

Postby idiotSavant » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:01 am

OK, I worked on this a lot today; here's my test recording of my VSL string orchestra (Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings, First Movement):

https://soundcloud.com/tensivity/test-vsl-dimension-strings

Staff:

8 Separate Violins I (DS) Unison; 8 Separate Violins I (DS) Divisi
8 Separate Violins II (DS) Unison; 8 Separate Violins II (DS) Divisi
6 Separate Violas (DS) Unison; 6 Separate Violas (DS) Divisi
6 Separate Cellos (DS) Unison; 6 Separate Cellos (DS) Divisi
VSL SE Orchestral Basses Unison; VSL SE Orchestral Basses Divisi

For a grand total of 62 VSL instruments, all with their own articulation and humanization settings. All run with Vienna Ensemble.

Note there's no divisi in this movement, will get to that in the next one...

Quite a lot of work to set this up, but now I think I have the basics down.

This recording made in MIR Pro Sage One Hall with MIRacle hybrid sweetening on the reverb tail.

Let me know what you think!

Michael
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Re: VSL Dimension String Orchestra Test

Postby crosati » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:54 am

Hi Michael,

it sound very very interesting.

I've not yet VSL, but is something I'm thinking to move on this year. How it works? How do you controlled the 8 separate Violins 1? (8 separate NOTION tracks, or there is something in between that distribute a single NOTION track to the 8 violins?)

Claudio
crosati

Postby idiotSavant » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:53 am

Claudio, there are different flavors of VSL. Dimension Strings is the high end of their strings libraries. It is demanding; from a cost standpoint, from a technical standpoint, and from a patience required standpoint. But the results can be fantastic. You can use individual instruments and select them in Notion just as you would a Notion Instrument, but that's just the beginning. The whole thing works best with Notion when using VSL's ensemble player, Vienna Ensemble or Ensemble Pro. Here's a screen shot of Vienna Ensemble hosting one matrix of one articulation of one Group of one Section, the Violins I sustenato:

Matrix.tiff
Matrix.tiff (723.54 KiB) Viewed 5649 times

As you can see, there's an incredible amount of flexibility and detail that is available within the Vienna Instrument. Down to the humanization factor that adds so much realism.

So if you're interested in VSL, I'd recommend starting small; Try the Special Edition packages and work up from there. Or you can purchase Vienna Ensemble Pro and get the Epic Orchestra package for free, to kick the tires.

All VSL products have free download demos for 30 days. It's a good way to get started.

I sound like a salesman! But really they are great products. Expensive, but I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

Let me know if you have any questions if you get going.

Michael
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby crosati » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:35 am

Thank you Michael.
My idea was starting with special editions, as you suggested. I will do it probably this summer (now I'm looking for a new job, relocating somewhere in Europe).
I will keep you in my mind, asking for some help when the time will come.
Claudio
crosati

Return to Share NOTION Files