Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Initial Key Signature

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Initial Key Signature

Postby ericsandmeyer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:32 am

I haven't run into this before. I opened my file and noticed that the initial key sig. had been changed from two flats to no sharps or flats.

So I used the key signature tool to reset the initial key sig back to two flats. It will not let me. I can change the key sig at bar 2, but cannot set the initial back to what I want.

I tried viewing all hidden items to see if something were there but nothing was. I tried various views of the score and nothing helped.

I went in and made sure that all my parts were in concert c and therefore non-transposing. All good there.

Any ideas on what's going on?
ericsandmeyer

Re: Initial Key Signature

Postby kant » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:22 am

i'm trying the notion3 demo and i have the same problem on my file... i can set the initial key signature at bar 2, 3.... but not on bar 1.
kant

Postby E_Sharp# » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:25 pm

I have the demo too, and the key in my first measure is different from the key in the rest of the measures. Isn't there a way to set the key for the entire score?
E_Sharp#

Postby kant » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:34 am

it seems it is related with the informations contained in imported midi files.

how to reproduce this :

1 - open a new file, create a basic staff and set a key signature on the first bar.
2- Import a midi file. File -> import . (I have made a simple midi clip from Live 8)
3 - Select all on the imported midi file. Then "Tools -> Convert to notation" and copy the midi file content.
4 - Return to your new file, double click on the first bar to select it and paste the midi content.

Doing this removes the key signature set on the first measure and makes it impossible to change it to something else.

To fix this you have to double click the first bar to select it and clear the content.

this works on my macbook pro OS 10.5.8 and NOTION 3.0.250
kant

Postby edbradburn » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Kant - fantastic tip and information, thank you!

By the way, if you want to avoid having to re-key stuff, proceed as follows:

1. Mark the first bar in all parts.
2. Right-click and select "Edit" –> "Duplicate".
3. Enter the key sig you need in what is now the second bar.
4. Mark and delete the entire first bar (in all parts).

This should give you back the key signature from the first bar onwards.
edbradburn

Postby posssu » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:43 am

kant wrote:it seems it is related with the informations contained in imported midi files.

how to reproduce this :

1 - open a new file, create a basic staff and set a key signature on the first bar.
2- Import a midi file. File -> import . (I have made a simple midi clip from Live 8)
3 - Select all on the imported midi file. Then "Tools -> Convert to notation" and copy the midi file content.
4 - Return to your new file, double click on the first bar to select it and paste the midi content.

Doing this removes the key signature set on the first measure and makes it impossible to change it to something else.

To fix this you have to double click the first bar to select it and clear the content.

this works on my macbook pro OS 10.5.8 and NOTION 3.0.250

Be sure to report this via the bug reporting form, they might miss bugs that are just posted on a forum!
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Return to NOTION