Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Stemless Slash marks?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Stemless Slash marks?

Postby cmillar » Thu May 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Are 'stemless' slash marks possible in Notion 4?

If not, that's sorely needed! (I just switched from Sibelius after 10 years, and this is the only negative thing I've run across yet!

Otherwise, I'm totally sold on Notion so far!
cmillar

Re: Stemless Slash marks?

Postby Admin » Tue May 28, 2013 11:19 am

Do you mean something like adding tremolo markings to whole notes, or do you mean something else?

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dcd111 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:09 pm

I believe the original poster means slash notation, often used in jazz notation when the specific rhythm of an accompaniment is up to the player. They are basically quarter-note slash notes, but the stem is removed. Here's an example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Slash ... on_4-4.png

Also from the "Chord chart" entry on Wikipedia, under the "Slash notation" section:
Slash notation is a form of purposefully vague musical notation which indicates or requires that an accompaniment player or players improvise their own rhythm pattern or comp according to the chord symbol given above the staff. On the staff a slash is placed on each beat (so that there are four slashes per measure in 4/4 time).[1]

Slash notation and rhythmic notation may both be used in the same piece, for example, with the more specific rhythmic notation used in a section where the horn section is playing a specific melody or rhythmic figure that the pianist must support, and with slash notation written for the pianist for use underneath improvised soli.

I've also seen it used when an improvised solo is intended.

This would strictly be a notation feature, obviously it would have to be ignored in playback.
dcd111

Postby Admin » Fri May 31, 2013 12:39 pm

Okay, well if that is the case, the way to access Slash Notation is to highlight the Notes or Measures that you want converted to Slash Notation and Right-Click. After you right-click, Navigate to Notes>Set As Rhythm Slash.

What is most convenient about using this feature in Notion is that you can place Chord Symbols over the Slash Notation to have the desired chord played in the notated rhythm.

Whole notes display without stems.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dcd111 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 am

Notion's rhythm notation is a useful feature, particularly for rhythm guitar and piano accompaniment when you want playback of chords. But that isn't what was being asked.

Slash notation is, as Wikipedia put it, "purposefully vague" about the rhythm, and requires stemless slashes placed on each beat. If you use four quarter notes in Notion and convert to rhythm notation, they will have stems. If you look at the example in my earlier email, the slash marks in this case are stemless, even though there are four per measure. They are intended to indicate situations where an accompanist can improvise an appropriate rhythm. Or it may be used to keep time during a solo passage where the rhythm is not specified. This would specifically NOT be included in playback, even with chord notation. It would be a notation feature only.

I've attached how it looks in MuseScore (ignore the silly music, this is just a test example):
MuseScore slash notation.jpg
MuseScore slash notation.jpg (29.55 KiB) Viewed 23329 times

And an example of why Notion can't handle it using rhythm notation as currently implemented:
Notion rhythm notation.jpg
Notion rhythm notation.jpg (8.04 KiB) Viewed 23329 times

Whole notes don't look like slash notation and mess up the meter if you put four in one measure. Quarter notes in Notion's rhythm notation have stems, which implies a quarter note rhythm instead of an improvised rhythm. MuseScore has the ability to notate this correctly: four quarter note slashes with the stems removed.

I'm not sure how anyone can print out and use a jazz score for real players using Notion without it, other than maybe printing blank measures and writing the slashes in by hand. I don't use it for printing purposes, so it doesn't affect me, but I can see how the lack of this feature would be frustrating.

There are a few ways this could be implemented from a user interface standpoint. There could be an option to remove the stems from quarter notes, which would allow them to appear correctly when converted to rhythm notation, but the program would have to know not to play back quarter notes without stems. Or they could be a new symbol on the note palette, implemented as an alternative type of quarter note rest (which would have the benefit of not being played back).
dcd111

Postby Redmunk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:17 pm

I agree. Notion NEEDS this feature. I've just spent a frustrating hour searching for it having just switched over to Notion, only to find it doesn't have it. Making chord charts on mass relies on this!
Redmunk

Postby Admin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:43 am

it is coming…

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby t. lower » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:55 am

Please get stemless slash marks.....VERY common in Jazz notation...much needed!
Thanks
t. lower

Return to NOTION