Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

VIENNA MIR VSL SE + and Notion 3

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

VIENNA MIR VSL SE + and Notion 3

Postby nevermore2k » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:45 pm

hello,
how can i use VSL MIR and the VSL SE + with all articulation switches in Notion 3 ?? it should be possible to assaign the articulation switches to an midi channel ...
nevermore2k

Re: VIENNA MIR VSL SE + and Notion 3

Postby astinov » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi nevermore,

NOTION3 comes with VSL SE + instrument presets, which are basically pre-programmed instances of VI and VE that you enter directly in your score and write as you would normally do. No programming, no setup required. If you want though, you can of course either bring the instance and tweak the settings, or use Sequencer Staffs and regular VST staffs (not presets) to do it the "old fashioned way".

Hope that helps.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby nevermore2k » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:39 pm

thx for the reply but it doesnt help, because i have vienna M.I.R for Reverberation and Mixing, that means all instruments are allready loaded into it. www.vsl.co.at and take a look at mir. the only way i can communicate to it is standard MIDI.
now i have notion and maybe very cool presets, but no idea how i can setup a standard midi connection from Notion3 to VSL MIR and use the SE Presets and + Presets....

all i want is to use the presets.... just for standard midi out... like i said before thats something that shouldnt be hard to do.... even Finale or Sibelius offers this... sorry that i say this... but Notion3 seems pretty much useles for me if i need to do all the keyswitching things in Logic or Cubase to get the sound out of the VSL SE and SE+ with the MIR Reverb from VSL...

is there a solution ?

by the way for the East West library i still use kontakt 3.5 because i use it over VSL Ensemble Pro on an other machine.. is it possible to use the presets for it with Kontakt or just Play ??

please let there be a solution for now its pretty pretty useless for me.
nevermore2k

Postby astinov » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:47 am

Hi nevermore,

Yes, NOTION presets can work with MIR, and still use the same presets. Our friends at VSL already have an answer for you. Check this thread out:

http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/23980.aspx

Enjoy ! :)

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby nevermore2k » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:03 pm

great i hope this works :)
ill try it
nevermore2k

Postby nevermore2k » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:34 pm

i tried it and it works... but this is not practicable...
that means i am stucked with notion only... and if i have to use cubase and expression maps i have to wait another 30 minutes to load the other MIR Presets... just becouse notion dont use the default presets...

why couldnt the audio software developers take a look to the 3d Animation developers... they have to be compatible to everyone... becouse they know that users dont use just one software to finish a project...

think of it.

use standards for your presets... realy never thought of it that someone use the things with MIR ? its just not the way that a user has to go depth into preference files and edit them.

i tried to use the software for 3 days...

there is not Keyboard Note Input...
if i sit together with my guitar students... belive me i have "NOT" a midi keyboard by myside in the music school... i need QWERTY input for notes... if i press a "C" there have to be a black thing on the score wich is a C not something else. to input the notes by mouse is nice but hey its so slow if you have no midi keyboard with you....

no quantize options...
the Drum Score is not GENERAL MIDI compatible ... i tried it for 3 hours today...
in the Manual is no entry about Quantize...

please tell me if i am wrong.. but.. hell... nothings seems to be made easy. things which i am able to do in any sequenzer. are made here sooo hard to do. maybe there arent possible... even in logic i have qwerty notes input. i press a C there is a C.

please dont get me wrong. i would love to use your software becouse i like how it looks like. and the idea is great.

greetings Ralf
nevermore2k

Postby nevermore2k » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:45 am

i am sorry... i was just a little pissed off yesterday.

put the things in the feature request section :)
nevermore2k

Postby astinov » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:18 am

Hi nevermore2k,

NOTION's VSL instruments use their own custom presets, because they give you way more articulations than the default matrixes, and also they use consistent keyswitches throughout. They allow you to use the full spectrum of articulations that Special Edition gives you right out of the box in one matrix which is consistently constructed across all instruments.

With your particular question, can you not save the .fxp preset for the vienna isntrument and use it in Cubase? Let me know more of what exactly are you trying to do, are you importing a score ? Are you writing it in NOTION then exporting to Cubase? What kind of workflow are you trying to set up?

Maybe I can help you with some suggestions.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby nevermore2k » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:55 am

my workflow at the moment usually is:

write / compose in Sibelius together with vsl MIR and then transfer the MIDI files into Cubase with" vst expression maps" for VSL for correction and so on. and i switch often betweem both and sometimes they run together on different machines to do fast fixing some parts. but VSL MIR is allways up and 8 VSL ENSEMBLE PRO instances because i switch often the tools. sometimes i use logic and even digital performer. and everything is set up for the default articulation matrixes. Finale is sometimes integrated too in the workflow... everything is setup up for the default patches from Vienna.

Notion is the only notation/or sequenzer which isnt compatible to this. its sad. 5 Programms works without any problem in this workflow.

Sure i could everything export as Music XML and import it into Cubase 5 .. but why do i need Notion then ?? ;) or i could do the trick with exporting the Notion Presets into VSL MIR but, what is if i have to check something in Cubase to hear if it sounds good with other librarys like Symphobia or east west choirs. ? then i need the standard presets couse every other programm needs it. VST Expression Maps for example that is what i realy need becouse they works perfect and you allways know what your instruments are doin... and in Logic i have writen something by myself where i can switch everything by using programm changes... which fully compatible to the default patches... if i need some special functions in logic which are not available else where.

so you see :) notion have to change their presets so that it can be integrated into this workflow...

by the way the MIR server runs the whole day and sometimes i am not the only one who needs it.
nevermore2k

Postby Yanick » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:56 am

I've Been Using Notion 3 (build3.1.281) almost exclusivly with Mir (running VIpro). Every articulation works great :D . Except Portamento (or gliss) :o ! Any setup using a external Midi port seems to play all the intervening notes in between instead of triggering the Portamento Keyswitch. :cry: help
If I Load the VIpro as a VST in Notion, using the same prules file (with Vsl plugin ID restored of course), It will play the correct Portamento KS and sample. So, how and when Notion choose between interpreting a Portamento as a "slide-into"conditon or a "play the intervening notes" rendering?

Also fp KS fails to trigger. I have to use ffp instead, without dynamique bump! weird :? .

Finaly, now i need to load a empty VSL Vst to get a STAFF from witch i can acces its VSL Technique Tab and drag, for exemple "arco", to my External Midi (my VSL MIR) staff. For big score it's annoying. :idea: Can i define my own MIDI tecnique somewhere (the MIDI tecnique Tab being provocatively empty).

Yanick-

Lubo; by the way my weird loopbe30 problem just vanished when i've upgraded from NOTION SLE to 3.
Yanick

Return to NOTION