Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Grainger: Mock Morris VSL Dimension Strings (Re-recorded)

A Place to Share Your NOTION Files

Grainger: Mock Morris VSL Dimension Strings (Re-recorded)

Postby idiotSavant » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:09 am

This recording is new with VSL Dimension Strings (complete with fingering noise) recorded in MIR Pro Vienna ORF Studio 3.

This version for seven strings.

Feedback is always welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/tensivity/grainger-mock-morris-vsl
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Re: Grainger: Mock Morris VSL Dimension Strings (Re-recorded

Postby fabiolcati » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:52 am

Very good. Veeery good indeed, Michael.
The mimics of attending to live stage performance is well achieved,
maybe a bit too from a parterre perspective to my taste, but I can't
say what your goal was in this field.
How hard are those DS to mate and make to work this way with Notion?
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby idiotSavant » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:58 pm

fabiolcati wrote:How hard are those DS to mate and make to work this way with Notion?

Thanks, Fabio! Glad you liked it.

It's not as difficult as you might think. You just duplicate the preset for VIPro and replace the patches being used with DS patches. It's tedious but not hard. The only thing that I'm less than happy with is that the DS libraries are far from complete (only violin and cello, no sordino, limited articulations), but I thought that the trade off was OK with the substantial early bird discount. I'm hoping that Notion produces some killer presets for Dimension Strings. Maybe they're waiting until the libraries are complete?
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby fabiolcati » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi Michael.
I agree with you, Early Bird offer is a big deal for anyone interested in DS.
Though, they are far beyond my resources — musical, financial and computer processing power.
The good new — at least for you — is that some sposkeperson from VSL replied to a forum thread
that they are almost ready to release violas and basic double bass articulations early in 2014.
Again, I really enjoyed your work. Hope to hear more soon.
In the meanwhile, I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby idiotSavant » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:49 pm

fabiolcati wrote:The good new — at least for you — is that some sposkeperson from VSL replied to a forum thread
that they are almost ready to release violas and basic double bass articulations early in 2014.
Again, I really enjoyed your work. Hope to hear more soon.
In the meanwhile, I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Fabio, thanks again. I hadn't seen that post, that is good news! I can at least play with a complete quartet and start to build desks and sections.

I'm happy to share, lots of work in the pipeline!

Have a good holiday yourself!
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby Yves » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Congratulation!
I am convinced! you have done a great job, the play sound very natural and expressif, without loosing the "byte" that most of the time "sampling" instruments loose when they play at a faster speed ... all the strings are perfectly "casted" in the virtual ORF studio, and I understand why in this recording you have put so much "room" instead of direct sound : you were playing with the realism of MIR! ;)

After this, you might try to bring back some "direct" of the instruments and lower the "room" to get a more "focus" sound...
One advice while balancing the natural reverberation from MIR and the direct : you can bring up some "direct" and on the room reverberation "damper" some low end and some high end (below 200Hz and above 5Khz): this way you will still hear the room reverberation and have a "realistic" presence, but without creating a muddy and harsh room presence... by the way, that would just be a more realistic use of the room reverberation with a decca tree where low end reverberation are naturally dampered, and because of the directivity of Newman M50 mic (even if they are described as omni, they are not on this high end!), high end from the reflection/room are also dampered, as the Newman is directively oriented toward the scene and get less room than direct...
:D
Notion 4/Sonar X3 producer/Reason 7-Akai EWI USB/Yamaha C2s
Synful/Wivi/VSL inst./Miroslav/GPO4/N3 Exp. Sounds/QL Solo Violin/Hauptwerk
EW Symphonic Choirs+VOP/Vocaloid 3 Prima+Tonio
QL Pianos/Garritan Steinway/EZKeys/Pianoteq 4
Waves/Clariphonic/Maag
Yves

Postby idiotSavant » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Yves wrote:Congratulation!
I am convinced! you have done a great job, the play sound very natural and expressif, without loosing the "byte" that most of the time "sampling" instruments loose when they play at a faster speed ... One advice while balancing the natural reverberation from MIR and the direct : you can bring up some "direct" and on the room reverberation "damper" some low end and some high end (below 200Hz and above 5Khz)
:D

Yves, thanks for the positive comments!

I have since re-recorded this piece in the Weiler studio to try to get a bit more focus but the instruments lose some of the warmth I was able to capture in the ORF studio.

I'll go back to the ORF recording and play with the direct proportion and the EQ as you suggest.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Return to Share NOTION Files