Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

ReWire Issues with Logic Pro 9 and Notion Slave

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

ReWire Issues with Logic Pro 9 and Notion Slave

Postby composer28 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:26 am

Hey Everyone!

First, let me congratulate the Notion team for doing an outstanding job on this piece of software! Having been a veteran of Finale, Sibelius, and many DAWs, I've found that this current incarnation of Notion is simply phenomenal and will simplify my workflow exponentially.

My ONLY issue right now is that I need to sync Notion to film. I understand that Notion does not support direct syncing (I would like to request this feature!!!) but it does support ReWire.

My DAW of choice is Logic Pro 9 and I, thus far, have not been able to have a consistent experience with ReWire/Notion/Logic [with Notion as the slave]. To be more precise, I can only get the playhead to sync to Notion once. As soon as I stop playback in Logic, my playhead becomes out of sync with Notion. It is absolutely critical that this does not happen because I'll have a film clip in Logic and then that clip will get out of sync with Notion. I have noticed that if I hit the spacebar twice in Notion I can "kick the playhead loose" so to speak and then it will work one more time in Logic, but stop working after that.

Here are my steps:

1. Open Logic
2. Setup an Aux Track with Notion's first stereo pair as the input source
3. Open Notion
4. Open a score
5. Hit play in Logic
6. Stop Logic and try to play again - then experience issues

I did have to open the Notion Package and copy the bundle file into the ReWire folder in my library. This made Notion ReWire available in Logic, however I'm wondering if this is also part of my current problem since the installer did not do this for me.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Composer28
17" Macbook Pro 2.5 GHZ 4 GB RAM
Snow Leopard 10.6.2
Logic Pro 9
composer28

Re: ReWire Issues with Logic Pro 9 and Notion Slav

Postby Novatlan » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:52 am

I have exactly the same problem. It also happens in Logic Express 7.2 and Logic Pro 8.
So far nothing I tried worked.
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby composer28 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:26 am

Thanks for the info Novatian. Interesting that it is not just a Logic "9" problem. Hopefully, we'll get some help soon!
composer28

Re: ReWire Issues with Logic Pro 9 and Notion Slave

Postby Novatlan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:49 am

As I once wrote in another thread, so far every single Notation software I tried had exactly this behaviour. I don't know about Finale, but Sibelius managed to fix it very, very quickly.
I suppose it is actually a bug in Logic, but obviously one which can be circumvented.
If there is anything I can do to help fix this, please tell me (this goes to Lubo :) )
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
Novatlan

Postby astinov » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:41 am

Hi composer28,

We'll investigate this, in the mean-time, did you file a Bug-Report with us about that? It would help us get things faster in the "line".

Thanks

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby composer28 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:37 am

Thanks Lubo!

I have been very sick so I apologize for not responding sooner. Could you please tell me how to file a bug report?
composer28

Postby Novatlan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:59 am

Just use the form provided at http://notionmusic.com/support/submit_bug.html
It is also linked on the board index.
Novatlan

Postby composer28 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Thanks!
composer28

Postby 4tune » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:33 pm

When I was testing with renoise I had a rewire problem also. I filed a bug report at the time.

The renoise developer gave this info after testing but it was with notion as master in this instance : (editied for clarity)

Just have checked this again and the times which Notion passes are simply incorrect.

We do right now start to adjust our timeline with soft chases (sightly turning up/down the BPM) as soon as Renoises & the masters timeline. This soft chasing starts when we're off by 1/512th, to allow small timing rounding errors here and there. Notions needs something like a 1/64th, but this is far too imprecise. This is something they should fix on there side...

Don`t know if it is related but thought I would post anyway.
4tune

Postby Novatlan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:29 am

It very well could be related.
As I said before: I had this issue with all applications I used with Logic (Sibelius, Finale....). In all cases it was exactly the same issue and in all cases the developers managed to fix it.
Maybe the folks at Notion could just cross the street and ask Sibelius how to fix it? :)
Novatlan

Next

Return to NOTION