Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Miroslav, Female choir and musical staves.

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Miroslav, Female choir and musical staves.

Postby Francois2010 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:43 am

Great my friend!

How do you find this? :D

Now I can move forward in my work!

What I wanted is not really changing instruments on a single staff. I wanted to change the "character" of the voices on a single staff. Example: get portato staccato voice on the same staff. It is sometime better to me than changing the "Articulations" from the software menu.

All this will be extremely interesting for the orchestral work with all these wonderful sounds of Miroslav!

I am extremely grateful!

Thank you so much! This morning, i am happy!
I love Notion ! I love to compose !
Native langage french. Be patient with my English.
Francois2010

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Francois2010 wrote:Great my friend!
How do you find this? :D

Glad to help! It helps me too, because I do research when I write about something, and when I write about something I usually understand and remember it, so for me it is a way of doing homework and then having a "pop quiz" on it . . . :D

The "Change Instrument Per Staff" information is on Page 11.8 and 11.9 in the NOTION 3 User Manual and the NOTION 4 User Manual . . .

Francois2010 wrote:What I wanted is not really changing instruments on a single staff. I wanted to change the "character" of the voices on a single staff. Example: get portato staccato voice on the same staff. It is sometime better to me than changing the "Articulations" from the software menu.

You can do this, and it is done the same way. And it usually maps to the most realistic sound, since the musician or singer actually is playing the instrument or singing in the particular "character", as contrasted to the "character" sometimes--but not always--being emulated by a computer algorithm. I think this way is the most precise, since if you avoid using articulations, dynamics, ornaments, and techniques in music notation but instead specify particular sound samples and notes, then this minimizes the amount of emulating or artificial intelligence-based mathematical mimicking being done by the computer . . .

TERMINOLGY

The terminology can be a bit confusing, because (a) it is ambiguous and (b) the word "instrument" is used in several ways, each of which has a different definition . . .

"Instrument" is used in at least four different ways:

(1) Miroslav Philharmonik is the VSTi virtual instrument . . .

(2) Within Miroslav Philharmonic each "instrument" is whatever you select from the set of instruments (Brass, Strings, Choirs, and so forth), where the instruments are assigned to channels in the Miroslav Philharmonik VSTi virtual instrument. And you can save the selected instruments as a preset "COMBI" . . .

(3) In Music Theory there are (a) instruments (for example, Violin, Cello, French Horn) and (b) voices (for example, Soprano, Tenor, Baritone) . . .

(4) In NOTION you can change the VSTI virtual instrument or NOTION Bundled or Expansion Sound instrument assigned to a staff, which is done via the "Change Instrument Per Staff" dialog that is activated by SHIFT+I, but you also can keep the assigned instrument the same and change its channel focus relative to a specific point along the timeline (measure and beat within the measure). NOTION also uses the definition of "instrument" the way it is used in Music Theory, so the specific usage depends on the context . . .

[NOTE: NOTION uses "instrument" in several ways; Miroslav Philharmonik uses "instrument" in several ways; and "instrument" is used in several ways in music theory . . . ]

The "instrument" in NOTION 3 terminology is Miroslav Philharmonik, but instead of changing the "instrument" you are changing the channel from which sampled sounds are sent and played, where in Miroslav Philharmonik terminology a channel can have one or more instruments assigned to it, but the instrument in this context actually is a Female Choir articulation, Brass articulation, String articulation, or whatever you select for the "COMBI" . . .

[NOTE: This is the reason I use the term "articulation" rather than "instrument", because (a) most of the time the "instrument" is the same as it is defined in Music Theory (for example, a Solo Trumpet or a Solo Tenor Vocalist) and (b) instead of changing the "instrument" you are changing the way the "instrument" is played or sung, which basically makes it changing the "articulation", where I define "articulation" to include dynamics, ornaments, techniques, and everything else that can be controlled by the performer (musician or singer). If the singer can sing louder, then singing louder is an "articulation". If the singer can execute a uvular trill, then singing a uvular trill is an "articulation. If the violinist can play with vibrato, then vibrato is an "articulation". If the violinist can play with a bow, then playing with a bow is an "articulation". If a pianist can play staccato, then staccato is an "articulation". This keeps everything simple, and it avoids some of the more ambiguous uses of the word "instrument", albeit perhaps at the expense of making "articulation" ambiguous, where one might suppose that the way I use "articulation" maps to "style", except that I use "style" as a high-level descriptor for group or set of articulations, dynamics, ornaments, and so forth, typically mapped to a specific player (musician or singer), genre, or whatever with respect to musicians and singers, as in the singing style of James Brown or the lead guitar style of Ace Frehley, noting that James Brown sang in both melismatic and syllabic articulations . . . ]

"Bewildered" (James Brown and The Famous Flames) -- YouTube music video

This YouTube video demonstrates switching female choir articulations (a.k.a., Miroslav Philharmonik "instruments") on a single staff by changing only the channel:

N3 MP Female Octave -- YouTube video

This YouTube video demonstrates switching female choir articulations (a.k.a., Miroslav Philharmonik "instruments") on a multiple staves but using the same single instance of the Miroslav Philharmonik VSTi virtual instrument:

N3 MP Multi-Channel Multi-Staves -- YouTube video

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Francois2010 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:33 am

Thank you again sir. It is my understanding that by using different channels.

In 2010, I had taken the trouble to read the manual BEFORE operating Notion3. I was more concerned about the use of the software and really did not want to import other sounds such as Miroslav. So I have not really paid attention to this chapter.

Your message shows me that I should be going back to guide ... and it is still an effort for me to read in English. And google translation is sometime .... :twisted: :mrgreen:

I created a children's operetta. While the file is finished and with these new possibilities, I can make a much more convincing demo, this in order to attract people to produce this operetta in real!

I also compose a work for mixed choir and piano maybe two or three other instruments. I had a very serious need all the opportunities here by Miroslav.

It also remains to study the use of these buttons visible on Philarmonik window .... For the moment, I find these buttons a little intimidating.

Thank you again.
I love Notion ! I love to compose !
Native langage french. Be patient with my English.
Francois2010

Previous

Return to NOTION