Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Using Group ID Rules

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Using Group ID Rules

Postby Admin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Well, the release of this capability has gone by fairly quietly, so I am going to spice it up a bit. Now that users have the capability to write VST rules for individual instruments, I suppose it is time to discuss the mode of operation so that more can jump on to this powerful tool in Notion 4.

I am going to describe the method of operation to get this functionality to work and also drop in a set of custom rules that I have used for a very special set of Brass instruments. These instruments are from the Warp IV Brass set created by Dr. Jeffrey Steinman. You can visit his site at http://www.warpivmusic.com/index.html.

The set runs in Kontakt, although currently, you must turn SIPS off while running large scores in Notion. SIPS are the scripts that he has written to make the set perform its humanization the way that he has set it up. However, all is not lost because a lot of what he has done can be covered with your rule sets. We are just taking the control away from Kontakt and giving it to Notion.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. On a Notion Staff, you need to make an instrument change. Once you have assigned the instrument change, you will want to make the rule change. You can keep these Instrument and Rule Changes together by copy/pasting them wherever you want in the score.

2. Press "Shift + Y".

Your cursor will appear as [xxxx]. These x's will represent a four letter string in your Group ID Based Rule set. Notion will look for these codes just as it looks for your instrument changes.

3. Save a set of rules in your master "Rules" folder. You can and will have multiple rule files in the master "Rules" folder. Whatever scores you would like to have using the rules will need to be saved in the same folder as the master "Rules" folder. Here is what your file hierarchy should look like.

File Hierarchy.png
File Hierarchy.png (150.88 KiB) Viewed 28294 times

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now that you know how to connect the rules to a score and insert a rules document, let's discuss how they are tied together on the back end. The Group ID is the thread that holds the rules and the score together. This four letter string in the score must be designated in the Group ID line of the rule set.

Group ID Line.png
Group ID Line.png (45.54 KiB) Viewed 28294 times

In the above example I am referencing the Group ID [vbas] and this is an anacronym for Vienna Bass.

You can set the group ID to reference a group of instruments or a single instrument.

For Example:

KNTK_Group_1_5_TBone.prules.zip
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 1014 times

Open this set of rules and change the keyswitches around to see what you get in your VST when you insert a Group ID into your score.

This example uses a lot of the expanded functionality for writing rules including Keyswitches, MIDI CC Data, and other commands that you can find on the old Custom Rules documentation. This set works beautifully with the Warp IV Trombone in Kontakt. Be sure to take a look at the articulations, techniques, flags, and conditions.

If you are interested in purchasing Warp IV and you need the entire set of rules that we have created, let me know, I can post them in the Share Custom Rules Forum post.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using Group ID Rules

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:52 am

In step 1, why wouldn't you just setup the staff with the desired instrument, rather then inserting a change?
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:38 pm

You can certainly do it that way.

When we set up instruments and staves, we like to go ahead and use an instrument from the Notion library that is close to the VST instrument that we are using. This way it is usually already named in such a way that matches instruments to rules and lowers confusion in big scores. It also makes it possible to access the instrument easily if there is a patch in the VST that users do not have which can then be accessed from the Change Instrument dialogue box without adding new instruments later.

You do not have to follow that practice. It is just a workflow that helps to eliminate a few issues. In fact, you may not want to do it, which will cause you to avoid having instrument changes in the first bar of the score, thus eliminating the need for the pre-score section of your personal scores.

Although, I will say that it is very nice to create a graph of instrument and rule changes at the beginning of the score. This sets up an area of a score that contains the instrument together with it's group rule ID, thus setting up a type of palette that a user can grab from when they want to make instrument (and rule) changes.

Here is an example of what a large score with multiple instruments per staff would look like:

Inst-Rule Palette.png
Inst-Rule Palette.png (168.89 KiB) Viewed 28156 times

If you want to make an instrument change, you can copy both the instrument and the Group ID and paste it wherever you would like to use it in the score. This is not only an easy way to make instrument changes to the score, but it also organizes the ID's with the instruments so that you can always check that you are editing the correct rule files.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks! Very interesting.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby kmlandre » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi There-

I'm having a bit of trouble with the attached Group ID prules file (derived from the "KNTK_GROUP_1_5_TBone.prules" file) and I'm hoping someone (Admin?) can help...

I believe I've got the initial setup of everything the way it needs to be:

1) Score is located in C:\blah\blah\blah\Documents.

2) Rules directory is located in C:\blah\blah\blah\Documents\Rules.

3) Rule file is located inside the rule directory as C:\blah\blah\blah\Documents\Rules\uForj_VaqueroFlute_SIPS.prules

4) I've "Shift-Y'ed" and added "mfvf" as the "Use Rules" Group ID at the beginning of the piece.

However, it seems the rules are ignored completely...

Kurt
Attachments
uForj_VaqueroFlute_SIPS.zip
.prules file in question
(827 Bytes) Downloaded 931 times
kmlandre

Return to NOTION