Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Realtime Midi Input

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Realtime Midi Input

Postby Novatlan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:33 pm

Goodbye!
I am sorry to say this, but people like who are not even able to trust other people to eventually learn from their mistakes are one of the reasons today's world is so impersonal and unpleasant.
As much as I hate bad work (I really do, ask all people that know me), I always give others the benefit of the doubt.

I could even reverse your own argument: From day one of Notion, this particular bug was reported here in this public board. You could have gathered the information before ordering. I, too, am disappointed by some of the big bugs in Notion, but I will stick to the company - I have experienced FAR worse. The people here are incredibly helpful and I am sure they really work hard to fix all the bugs.

That products are released too early unfortunately is a reality today. But ask yourself: In your dayjob, was your work today absolutely perfect and flawless? Mine sure wasn't. In software development there are deadlines. Sometimes you have to make compromises. Bad thing, but that's how the cookie crumbles :)
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby pianotone » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Not everyone joins a forum to read about software before purchasing. Indeed many people just naively believe that a company's advertising will be completely accurate. I too feel that the program was released too early and with inadequate testing. Let's hope that the problems can be resolved.
pianotone

Postby Szurcio1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 pm

I don't envy them - they put themselves in a difficult situation :? releasing a software product still in a beta stage and calling it a finished program. Now they have to deal with crowds of disappointed customers - must be a pretty hectic and nervous time now in Greensboro.
Szurcio1

Postby astinov » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:32 pm

Craig and everyone,

As you know this issue is currently being addressed. Craig, I'm certainly sorry to lose you as a customer, because at this point it does look like you are quite certain you've made up your mind. What I can do is reiterate a few points, to help put things in perspective:

1. A much finer and better MIDI transcription from real-time MIDI input is already scheduled to be released very soon (by soon I mean weeks not months)

2. NOTION has already released several updates which enhance the software with major new features and we plan to continue to dynamically update the product frequently as we gather feedback from our users. This is something that no notation software that I know does to the extent that NOTION does. In the first couple of months following release we have enhanced the software with quite a few features (ReWire and VST Aux channels, MIDI audition and transposing instrument entry optimizations, note audition additions, VST presets for new instruments for EWQL and VSL, much enhanced ReWire support etc...). RT MIDI input is coming up, it is a very complex problem, so it is taking a while.

3. I would ask you to give NOTION just a little bit more time, to see for your self what the update will bring. While there is a lot of software including competitors out there who all do MIDI transcription, this really is quite a problematic area for all packages. With the upcoming update, we feel we will solve quite a number of problems and possibly rise above the competitors in many respects. I have the luxury of telling you this because I personally play with the feature improvements everyday and can see it from an angle that is not immediately accessible to everyone. But very soon it will be. At that point, I hope you would give it another chance and maybe you'll find it works better than you expected.

Again, I realize this is a sensitive feature, but we are taking this as an opportunity to show our dedication and hope to see you wait a couple of weeks to give this another chance.

Thanks, and in all cases, I wish you all the best in your career!

Sincerely,

Lubo Astinov
Product Manager
NOTION Music
astinov

Postby Novatlan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:16 am

I think Lubo's post (as usual) sums everything up quite nicely.

@Craig:
Yes, you are right, I do not work for Notion in any way, so everything here is just my personal opinion.

I actually need some of the "buggiest" features the most of all, most importantly note input. So I am seriously affected by the bugs. Nevertheless, I know about today's software development and, contrary to lots of other companies, I am pretty sure that Notion will eventually make it right.

Yep, some products are more stable than others. Most of the time, this is dependent on the number of external beta testers. Companies like Makemusic or Avid have sizable numbers of external testers for their products. I assume that most of the serious bugs are found by these testers. Maybe some day in the future, Notion will go this route, too. We shall see :)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
Novatlan

Postby strabes » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:08 am

real-time midi input doesn't seem like a "bug" to be fixed. how well different programs do notation based off real-time input seems like it would require light-years of programming. like garageband (horrible) vs. sibelius (so far the best I can find). I wouldn't say garageband has a bug, but that it has lower quality intelligence.

how is accurate notation based off real-time midi input a "bug fix?" should we expect sibelius level intelligence, or better, or worse?
strabes

Postby Novatlan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:31 am

It is not only input, but also import. Currently all things MIDI are pretty buggy, but again: They are working on it.
Besides, I don't find GarageBand inferior to Sibelius in terms of MIDI input. Both are pretty good, but I'd actually say that GB is better (because that's what it is made for).
Novatlan

Postby zuijlen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:51 pm

My understanding is that Notion recognizes that there is a problem and is working to address it. So how is this false advertizing?

I've used many different software programs over the years and I have never encountered one that was flawless. It is disappointing of course if the one feature you would like to use is not working. Unfortunately that happens. There are companies that flat out deny that there are problems with their products. I don't see that with Notion.

I am a new Notion user and I just got it shipped last week. I would like to give Notion the benefit of the doubt for now and wish them good luck in fixing the current issues.
zuijlen

Postby ericsandmeyer » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:42 pm

CraigWilson wrote:
zuijlen wrote:I'm rather surprised to see some folks so complacent about this.

I am rather surprised to see some folks go into "kick-ass mode" over a bug like this. I hope you get your refund and get on with your work.
ericsandmeyer

Postby strabes » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:17 pm

I don't find GarageBand inferior to Sibelius in terms of MIDI input. Both are pretty good, but I'd actually say that GB is better (because that's what it is made for).

hi novation, I'm talking about the transcription/notation capability on a score. seems to me Sibelius is FAR superior. maybe it helps to explain I'm doing complex piano, not single channel, downbeat stuff. I know any MIDI input program can score single channel, single finger, easy beats. but I've found nothing that accurately interprets complex piano compositions on the score. I was hoping Notion might be near Sibelius quality with the added benefit of feeling like a music tool instead of the clunky microsoft-office-like UI Sibelius/Finale feel like.
strabes

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION