Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

EWQLSO and Notion 4

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

EWQLSO and Notion 4

Postby ben amato » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi all
As a notion beginner I'm very excited by it. Seems I may be abandoning my sibelius loyalty!
I'm using EWQLSO, and I'm working on understanding how the various articulations which get loaded by Notion are triggered.
For example if I load the EWQLSO violins 1 preset, which loads the 18 violin Key Switch Master patch, I can see by pressing command I to view the Play window, which keyswitches are being sent by which articulation markings.
Things are as they should be for sus vib. pizz, lyrical , expressivo, expressivo legato ( which seems to get triggered by a slur) , quick up and down , tremolo , and the pendereki articulation(col legno) .
But there are loads more articulations getting loaded by this patch which I haven't found a way to successfully trigger: qleg, non-vib, sus - leg , lyrical leg, lyrical fast, exp fast, martele , martele fast, spiccato, some clusters and some slurs.
Can anyone fill me in on this. In the Sibelius world there is detailed documentation for each "soundset" as they are called. I gather "rules " is the term for notion... how do I find out the details?
ben amato

Re: EWQLSO and Notion 4

Postby wizstudios » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Check out the final answer to my post above 'what are rules and how do you use them?': admin has pointed out the hidden gems in the 'Other' tab in 'Downloads' Once you master the basics, you can watch the tutorial videos. I'm new too all this and about to embark on the 'rules' learning curve tonight.

Are you using gold or platinum? I can't get gold to work properly at all. I wonder if the EWQLSO rules would help this. Lots to learn.
wizstudios

Postby ben amato » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:46 am

thanks mr wiz! :)
i see what you mean, i downloaded that stuff from "other" .
But I don't really want to become a custom rules nerd , if you know what I mean - just want to be able to put the right markings to trigger the right articulations when using the EWQLSO template/presets. Because right now there are these huge play instances loading and only half the articulations are getting triggered.

Ben
ben amato

Postby srenmp » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Ok so I'm going to try and be clear on this lets take for instance a qleg patch to trigger this particular patch look at your bottom row of patches in notion all the way on the right there is a box called ewqlso pre sets tech( for other instruments it holds other special techniques) Simply click on the qleg and place it in the score where you would like it to sound use the normale preset to have the rules function as normal if you dont see the technique you would like to use in the box but the patch is loaded for that particular technique simply use the text box and right out that patch I believe there is a video on this somewhere on you tube cause I'm not a brainy at all but I seem to re-call learning this from a video by Brian or josh at notion.
srenmp

Postby ben amato » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:27 am

Thanks srenamp.
I posted after going through that process in detail and establishing that those techniques that i mentioned in the first post were not loading anything apart from the main patch .
Sorry if I didn't make that clear

I suppose I could open the rules document and figure out how it works and whether the patches can be triggered, but I would have thought that whoever made the rules (notion I guess! ) would have given us some instructions...

Ben
ben amato

Postby Admin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:50 am

This has been an EastWest issue. We attempted to contact them several times over the last two years to no avail. But, finally in the last month we have gotten in touch with them and they have decided to help us slightly with the issues that we are having.

The problem is that they changed some of their file and directory management systems somewhere in the mid to late 2.x releases of Play. The way that Notion had been accessing the Play directories was determined by the way that Play was allowing access to their sample file paths. For a long time, we did not hear from them about how to fix this issue.

But, since we have gotten some help from them about these issues, we are starting a redeveloped version of these libraries. I cannot make any claims about how or when these will come out because it is somewhat time consuming to do an entire set and I want them to ship properly.

In the meantime, if you are using EWQL, you can try to use the current Notion Presets, or you can get into the universe of custom rules.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:08 pm

Also, one of the workarounds that I have used for EastWest is to use their Presets. Then, on each instrument I have entered key switches that patch out to the same MIDI channel for that instrument. It is much less time consuming than writing rules, although not quite as flexible.

This is a reasonable workaround, and only requires that when you are printing your parts, that you hide the Key Switch staves that you are using to send to the equivalent MIDI Channel.

User "notionlive" put up a great example of this in this forum at:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3261&p=12672&hilit=+soundcloud#p12672

Scroll to the middle part of the page and read the post by notionlive on using Key Switches instead of Custom Rules.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ben amato » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Ok thanks for the explanation. I will wait for that to happen then.
Still not quite sure i get it - I thought it was only about Notion using either keyswitches or midi channels to trigger articulations, like a DAW does.
If you guys can't make EWQLSO custom rules that work then I sure won't be able to:)

I mean if all the articulations aren't all working, would it not make sense to load only the ones which are ?

only saw the above post now, will read
ben amato

Postby ben amato » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:27 pm

ok using keyswitches, yes but that is exactly what annoys me when working in a DAW, the finicky process:) Would like creative flow to be paramount...
If writing rules will get me there i will do it though. At least once it's done it it's done i guess?
ben amato

Postby GaryExo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Well, this is good news if we can get a redesigned library that actually works! It's been frustrating the hell out of me that I paid quite a bit of money for a very nice orchestra only to find it working so poorly in Notion that I had to keep returning to using Notion's native sounds simply to get some work done.

Can you please keep us posted about the progress on this?

Thanks.
GaryExo

Next

Return to NOTION