Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Working with Stylus

Working with Stylus

Postby patricio » Fri May 24, 2013 8:08 pm

I bought a kensington stylus for Notion on Ipad.
I think the stylus input feature is not working very well , its not accurate , its difficult to see which note is chosen.
Maybe i'm using a wrong one, so if some of you can recommend a good one maybe that will work.
I hope The Team will find a better way to use it with stylus and do an update on this.
patricio

Re: Working with Stylus

Postby Wawoodman » Fri May 24, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm using the Kensington, and I love it. Most of the others are almost twice the diameter.

Are you enlarging the score, before using the stylus for entry? I find that's almost a necessity.

Also, the gold crosshair tells you where you are. You can keep the stylus on the screen, and drag up or down to place the note.
Wawoodman

Postby choirguy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:48 am

Remember that Notion now allows for pinch & zoom. This should make note entry significantly more accurate.
choirguy

Postby thorrild » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 am

Has anyone tried the Adonit Jot Pro? It seems to get pretty good reviews for its accuracy, and at its tip, a clear disc allows you to see exactly where the point of the stylus is. It lists for about $30...

Is it appropriate to include links to reviews of different styli? I hope so:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/29259 ... pad-review

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby choirguy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:38 am

One of the things I've continued to do is to try find "the best" stylus.

I own a Jot Touch Pro...it's a good stylus, and probably the best for accurate entry. The downside is that the plastic disc is noisy on the iPad screen. Enough so that many people will choose to use it. There is a Bluetooth 4.0 version that allows you to write on your iPad like a true pen--but the programs has to use Jot's SDK...and I don't think Notion is one of those apps.

My favorite stylus--overall--is the Maglus, which is shaped like a drafting pencil. You can hold the Maglus like a pencil or a marker, and it has a replaceable rubber tip.

My favorite stylus tip is micro-fiber, seen in the Boxwave Ever Touch. The material tip always flows smoothly on an iPad, unlike rubber tips that can stick depending on the cleanliness of your iPad screen.

The best stylus, in my opinion, would be a Maglus with a micro-fiber tip. I have e-mailed them, and they are working on one.

No, I don't work for Maglus...but they sent me a discount code (for my blog article on techinmusiced.com) that can be used (10% off) http://applydea.refr.cc/2L44TJM
choirguy

Postby thorrild » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:41 am

Hi ChoirGuy,

Thanks for your valuable insight on the various stylus products out there (and thanks for the discount offer!) I will definitely take a look at your blog.

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Wawoodman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:09 pm

My take in styli:

I first used the POGO. I actually liked the way the tip felt, especially when trying to write. The drawback was the thin shaft. I have medium sized hands, but my arthritis makes gripping the shaft uncomfortable.

I then tried another one that has no name I can see. From Office Depot, or somewhere, with a much larger shaft: about the size of a preschooler's pencil. The tip was a large soft rubber dome. Fine for tapping, but horrible for writing.

Now, I use the Kensington Virtuoso Pro, which is shaped like a Mont Blanc pen, with a smaller rubber tip. It fits my hand nicely, and again, fine for tapping, but the way the tip wobbles and drags when you move it on the pad surface makes it worthless for writing.

I use my iPad when I go out to see clients (I'm a cabinetmaker) and I make quick sketches and notes in Penultimate. I've actually gone back to using my finger for this, because I haven't found a tip that slides to my satisfaction. If that plastic disc was smaller, i would try the Jot, but i just don't like the way it looks, and storage might be an issue as well. I might have to wait for that Maglus micro-fiber, too!
Wawoodman

Postby nhsaxes » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:06 pm

New to this forum, but longtime ipad user, musician and tech geek. I use the Hand stylus (http://handstylus.com/) all the time in Grafio, and it seems to work just fine for me in Notion so far (helps to be zoomed in so that system fills screen width in landscape). Nice tech pencil feel to this stylus, small replaceable retractible rubber tip, but too fine a tip to use with screen protectors in my experience. I have no financial stake in the company, just a satisfied user. As always, YMMV; different strokes for different folks!
nhsaxes

Postby nhsaxes » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:59 am

Tried posting a reply to this yesterday, but it never appeared. I have been using the Hand stylus (handstylus.com - I have no financial interest), and it works fine with Notion.
nhsaxes

Postby patricio » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks Fooks for the tips, took sometime to answer.
Zoom option helped a lot. Now used working with it.
patricio

Next

Return to Notion for iPad