Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Former Symphony Pro user looking for new notation app

Re: Former Symphony Pro user looking for new notation app

Postby Wawoodman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:47 am

I've just recently started playing with iWriteMusic app for iPad. It's pretty limited, but for my admittedly limited needs, it's damn near perfect. Once he gets XML export implemented, I'm going to be an extremely happy camper. All I want is an app where I can enter the notes, ties, and slurs while I'm on the patio, or in my recliner, or at the coffee shop. Then, I'll take them to the big computer, and do the merging, editing, lyrics, and so forth in Finale.

Note input is by tapping on the staff. I find a stylus is much better than a finger, and with an hour of practice, I can move right along. You can't go TOO fast, because the screen redraws with each entry. Once you adjust to the rhythm, I find it perfect.

Is it right for everybody? No, but for $6, it's worth a look. There's a free demo version, too.

(No, I'm not connected to the company.)
Wawoodman

Postby pianoman_ssb2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:22 pm

How about getting the app that this forum is dedicated to, Notion? I liked the interface of Symphony pro better, but this company is dedicated to improving this app and has many features.
pianoman_ssb2

Postby Wawoodman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:09 pm

I have Notion for iPad. I don't like it, because of the poor (for me) input paradigm. I have also posted here about wanting stylus-to-staff input, and I have spoken to tech support, as well.

I used SymphonyPro for that reason, until they vanished. I actually purchased both SP and Notion at the same time, to try them out, and SP won.

Bottom line is, for my purposes, iWM is the better product. And I emphasize for my purposes. I absolutely see that for those using the more advanced features of Notion, iWM will probably not cut it. But since this thread was about input methods, I thought the mention was reasonable.
Wawoodman

Postby choirguy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Again, I don't work for Notion, but I do keep an ear to the ground about this product, because it is the only legitimate solution for music notation on the iPad (I've mentioned iWriteMusic as well, but that program is very limited, as you mentioned).

Just a word from Facebook, however, where Notion seems to be most active: On March 22, Notion wrote:

"What's next? The current test build...has the ability to use your finger or a stylus to move notes, enter notes, delete notes, etc. So entering notes without the piano keyboard or fretboard will get much more efficient and enjoyable (removing the cross-hair note moving tool). We really needed the zoom feature to get this to work the way we wanted."

So there you go...Notion's inclusion of this feature (coming soon) shows that they ARE listening.

You have to love the progress this app has made in the last four months.
choirguy

Postby choirguy » Sat May 11, 2013 8:10 pm

The update that allows for entry with finger or stylus is now live in the App Store. Remember that you can zoom in for greater accuracy.
choirguy

Postby Wawoodman » Mon May 13, 2013 11:42 pm

OK, I've downloaded the new version. Thanks to the developers, who listened!

I'll work with it, and see how I like it. Of course, I have to unlearn some of the things I've gotten up to speed with in iWM, but I'll give it a go. I'm sure I'll find things I don't care for. Off the top of my head, #1 is having to switch palettes between notes and rests. Selecting for slurs is kind of clunky, as well.

But I will give it a fair try. Again, I'm delighted that the developers responded so quickly with the stylus input.
Wawoodman

Previous

Return to Notion for iPad