Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

feature wish

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: feature wish

Postby babaorum » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks to Admin for your responses I just sawn ! :idea: ;)
babaorum

Postby gregmo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:12 pm

I have both Notion 4 and Notion for iPad. A nice feature would be a "push" feature that, kind of like icalendar, it will "push" changes from one to the other. That way, if you are working away from home on a score on the iPad, it will push changes to that score on your home computer's Notion 4, and vice versa. This way, you can simultaneously work on scores from home or away from home, without trying to figure out what changes were made, sending pdf or other files, then trying to copy and paste, etc. I don't know if anyone else would like this, but I certainly would. I just got Notion for iPad, and it's pretty awesome!!!!
gregmo

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:18 pm

gregmo,

Dropbox is a great way to handle this. You can upload scores directly from iPad and pull them off of the Dropbox for the desktop. I thought of this feature 4 years ago to handle "track changes" from Desktop to Desktop.

Dropbox was the solution for then and for now, it still is due to the number of changes and fixes that we are currently working on for both Desktop and iPad.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming...

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby thorrild » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:48 am

A small religious war is being fought elsewhere in this forum this week: Are sharps used only by heathens? Is it heresy to believe in flats?

On a more humble level, I'd like to advocate for better handling of accidentals, whatever their denomination: If an accidentalized note is tied into the next measure and that pitch is repeated before that measure is finished, then the accidental needs to be shown, according to broadly accepted notation standards. Can this be added to Notion's feature set, please?
Accidental.tiff
Accidental.tiff (5.67 KiB) Viewed 7326 times

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi Thorrild,

I just tested this functionality. It seems that the default is to put the quasi-courtesy accidental into the next measure after the tie in the provided example. But, you can delete it and preserve the pitch of the note in the style of notation that you wish to have played. If the natural shows up, just delete it too. I got this to work. Let me know if you do.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby thorrild » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi Admin,

It doesn't work for me. In the screen shot example I sent, the flat on the second eighth of the second bar is added manually. All music was entered by the point-&-click method. (I can't test it with step MIDI input, because I haven't figured out how to get tied notes using that method.)

It doesn't seem to matter in which order the notation elements are entered. I always get the same result (no flat on second eighth), whether I enter the tie before or after I put music in the second bar.

Can you provide more specific instructions? (I'm not quite sure which natural you are talking about.)

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:23 pm

I will submit a feature request for this. I see what you mean now. I did this the wrong way based on what I understood the first time through. Makes sense.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:27 pm

I will submit a feature request for this. I see what you mean now. I did this the wrong way based on what I understood the first time through. Makes sense.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 pm

thorrild wrote:A small religious war is being fought elsewhere in this forum this week: Are sharps used only by heathens? Is it heresy to believe in flats?

[NOTE: The usual advice to take everything with grain of salt and to keep a salt shaker handy applies, since I wrote this soon after awakening and before I had several cups of Massimo Zanetti Master Chef® coffee made in the ratio of 1/2 cup of ground coffee to 12-ounces of water at the ideal brewing temperature of 200 degrees Fahrenheit using the single-drip method, and it is not my fault, since I got tickled by your characterization of the two camps as heathens and heretics, respectively. Fortunately, I was not enjoying a sip of coffee at the time, because I probably would have spewed it all over the computer display . . . :P ]

Toward the goal of introducing a bit of clarity, I would not characterize the discussion as being a "small religious war", although I think there are some strongly felt opinions, a few of which might be based on misunderstanding a bit of admittedly abstruse humor, which apparently only made sense to me, but so what . . .

So what!

We all have life experiences, and speaking only for myself, some of them are a bit unusual, which certainly is the case with the sequence of events which began with my taking an interest in violin when I was in the fifth grade but abandoning it quickly when I discovered the string bass, which made a lot more sense to me at the time and continues to be the case, where timewise this mapped to having a few years of string bass lessons during which since the bass clef made absolutely no sense to me I discovered that it was easier for me to "play by ear", with the consequence that a few years later at the age of 13 years-old (a) I had a Karl Knilling string bass; (b) I could play it reasonably well; (c) Although I could not read bass clef, I had played rudimentary piano long enough to know the names of the piano notes and could map them to notes on the string bass; (d) By virtue of being one of the few people in town who actually had a string bass, this led to forming a musical business relationship with a vastly skilled piano player who among other things was a year older than me (14 years-old) but looked to be in his early-20s, and for a variety of reasons had a car, was married, and owned a house, which continues to be a bit mind-boggling when I think about it; (e) Having a musical group which included a real string bassist at the time was a big draw in the local nightclub circuit, which mapped to better pay, which one certainly can understand would be a big motivation for a 14 year-old pianist who had to support a wife and make car and house payments, hence made it practical for the pianist to devise a system of playing piano that included providing me via his left hand with the root notes of chords and other cues regarding the types of phrases I should play, since I was the only musician who was in constant "play by ear" mode, with everyone else using sheet music and "cheat sheets", since being able to play virtually any song by special request was yet another way to make more money, which as I recall led to moments where for example someone might request "Begin the Beguine" (Cole Porter), which made about as much sense to me at the time as a Celtic dirge from the third century in terms of never having heard the song to the best of my knowledge, having no idea how to play it on string bass, but this not being a problem, because all I had to do was watch what the piano player was doing with his left hand; and (f) at an early age being in musical groups with grown-up horn players (primarily trumpets and saxophones), who with only one exception were odd at best, which inevitably led to the piano player and I making a lot of jokes about horn players to relieve the frustration caused by their always demanding to play songs in weird keys that had flats rather than sharps, which as I tried to explain in the aforementioned discussion actually was a good thing when considered in retrospect, because in some respects it actually is easier for me to play songs in keys that horn players favor than in keys that guitar players and keyboard players favor, at least when I am playing electric bass and to some degree when I am playing lead guitar, where for rhythm guitar the key does not matter, because I know Barre chords, which are the ultimate weapon when one plays electric guitar and has no choice but to be in a musical group with horn players and one has memorized all the notes on each string of an electric bass up to the 15th fret and knows what I call "low" and "middle" Barre chords in a virtual festival of flavors or "shapes" . . .

Explained another way, for quite a few years I existed in a surreal universe of nightclubs, money, booze, cigars, go-go girls (a personal favorite), and fricking horn players who loved flats nearly as much as they loved Revlon® cosmetics and polishing their top hats, with the result that I decided at an early age that I prefer sharps to flats, as did the piano player, which is fabulous . . .

"Begin The Beguine" (Cole Porter) -- Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell -- YouTube music video

Fabulous! :lol:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Previous

Return to NOTION