Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Postby pcartwright » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:56 am

Any word on changes in this version?
pcartwright

Re: 4.0.325

Postby thorrild » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 am

Hi Philip,

This is from the Software Update dialog box that appears on the Mac:

We always recommend updating to our latest release.

Better rhythms from MIDI recording.
Crash on minimizing a score.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Admin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:15 pm

Build 325
21-Mar-2013
Fix: Better notation from MIDI recording.
Fix: Send MIDI commands to set the Fishman guitar interface to mono.
Fix: Crash on score minimize. (Windows)

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 pm

I tried to install the NOTION 4.0.325 update on the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (early-2008) with 20GB of memory running Mac OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) here in the sound isolation three times, but each time it gets an error and displays an error message (see below) which says to try again later, where this was what happened when the update was automatic, which refers to happening when NOTION 4 is started. And I also tried a few more times after rebooting the Mac Pro, with the same results . . .

However, due in part to being a rocket scientist, as well as a self-designated Feng Shui master and coffee achiever, I went to the Support page at the Notion Music website; navigated to the Downloads page; clicked on the "Notion 4.0.325 (MAC)" link; downloaded the "Notion-4.0.325-OSX.zip" file to the Mac OS X 10.8.3 Desktop; double-clicked it to uncompress the file; and then discovered that instead of being a typical Mac OS X application installer (.dmg) file, it actually is the NOTION 4 application file ("Notion.app"); which when I doubled clicked the "Notion.app" file caused NOTION 4 to launch, at which time its "About . . ." dialog box indicates that it is the newly updated version of NOTION 4 for the Mac, as shown in the following screen capture, where one cannot help but observe that the copyright notice needs to be updated to include the current year, which specifically is 2013 on the Gregorian calendar or 4711 (Year of the Black Snake) on the 60-year cycle Chinese calendar . . .

[NOTE: As best as I can determine, the "about.png" file in the Mac OS X application package for "Notion.app" under "Resources" is the image file that needs to be updated with the current year in the copyright notice, and there are two of them, but the one at the top is what is used, although there also is one in the "About" subfolder of "Images" . . . ]

And after having a bit of FUN with the Mac OS X application package resources, it becomes possible to do the following bit of nonsense, really . . .

Really! :P

Summarizing, this method for doing the update works on the Mac, but it requires doing a few manual steps, where the current version of "Notion.app" needs to be deleted by moving it to Trash, followed by copying the newly uncompressed "Notion.app" which is on the Mac OS X Desktop to the "Applications" folder, which is best done after you make an archive copy of the previous version before you move it to Trash, since being able to revert to previous versions tends to be handy at odd times, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby idiotSavant » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:28 pm

My Mac update worked flawlessly. And maybe it's just my imagination but it seems to me that VSL instruments are loading a lot faster?
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:44 pm

It seems that there may be an individual issue on your machine "surfwhammy".

Is it possible that you were running 32-bit when you installed the auto-update? I am just checking to see if causes a problem so that I can make a statement about it. There could be all types of other issues happening here with Mountain Lion. Have you found and deselected the checkbox that states, "Only Allow Installations of Apple approved software"? This could be causing the problem and is unique to Mountain Lion. We cannot recreate the update problem in Mountain Lion within the office.

I would like to investigate this issue a bit just to determine where the problem might be. Please contact tech support if any other users run into this problem.

Also, if you are using Windows and you have an issue with Notion Crashing on the relaunch, it is related to the remnants of the window crashing bug that we fixed in 4.0.325 when closing a score. It will only happen once after close of the application upon update. Then the Notion bug fix does occur and the crash should not happen in the future.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Admin wrote:It seems that there may be an individual issue on your machine "surfwhammy".

Is it possible that you were running 32-bit when you installed the auto-update? I am just checking to see if causes a problem so that I can make a statement about it.

I am running NOTION 4.0.324 in 64-bit mode, and this is easy to verify because there are no 32-bit VSTi virtual instruments or VST effects plug-ins in the projects I am doing at present, which would generate error messages, as would having 64-bit VSTi virtual instruments or VST effects plug-ins if NOTION 4 were running in 32-bit mode. Also, I have separate icons for NOTION 3, Digital Performer 7.24, and Reason 5, which is what I use in the now rare instances where I need to do something in the 32-bit universe. And I verified that the "Open in 32-bit mode" for "Notion.app" is unchecked, which causes it to run in 64-bit mode . . .

Admin wrote:There could be all types of other issues happening here with Mountain Lion. Have you found and deselected the checkbox that states, "Only Allow Installations of Apple approved software"? This could be causing the problem and is unique to Mountain Lion. We cannot recreate the update problem in Mountain Lion within the office.

If you are referring to NOTION 4.0.325 update screens, these are the two screens that display when I start NOTION 4.0.324 in 64-bit mode, which I did just a few minutes ago as an experiment, and I can do this because I keep an archive of previous versions of NOTION, which is one of the consequences of doing software configuration management and installer work over in the Windows universe for decades, as well as having what I call the "pack rat" gene, which among other maps to having empty FedEx boxes from the 1980s, since one never really knows for certain whether the Aliens From Outer Space™ might knock on the door in the middle of the night while on a scavenger hunt and need an empty FedEx box from the 1980s, where my thinking is that if this happened, then the Aliens From Outer Space probably have more advanced technology than we have here on Earth, which could map to granting me a special request for something like X-ray Vision, free HBO and Showtime for life, or an upgrade to one of my fingers to make it a magic Retro Big Red® finger, which would provide an endless supply of my currently favorite soda pop at my fingertip on demand . . .

[NOTE: The third screen is in my first reply to this topic . . . ]

NOTION 4.0.35 Automatic Update ~ 1st Screen

NOTION 4.0.35 Automatic Update ~ 2nd Screen

If the option to which you referred is part of Mac OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion), I was not aware of it, so I will check to see if I can find it . . .

[NOTE: It took a few minutes, but I found it, and the following two screens are "before" and "after" I changed to option to allow installing applications from "Anywhere" . . . ]

BEFORE: Original Setting

AFTER: New Setting

This might be the reason the automatic update failed, which I should know in a few minutes, since it is running now, and as noted (see above) I have the relevant Mac OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) option set to "Anywhere" . . .

[NOTE: A few minutes later . . . ]

Changing the option to "Anywhere" did not make a difference, and the update failed at the same point, which was just after I pressed "Install and Relaunch" followed by entering the password for the Administrator account, which is what I use but with a different name, where to be specific the name is something like "Surfwhammy" but underneath the name in the "Users & Groups" pane in "System Preferences" it shows "Admin" as the type of account, so it is an Administrator account . . .

These are partial logs, and they were done at different times to get them formatted to display in this post, so ignore the time differences, because they are accurate . . .

[NOTE: I think this is the error that causes the automatic update to fail, and it was fine the way I had the Console window sized when I did the screen capture, but the partial log listing for the startup of Notion 4.0.324 did not look good when formatted the same way, so I redid it a few minutes later to get it formatted to display in the limited width of FORUM posts . . . ]

NOTION 4 Automatic Update to 4.0.325 ~ Partial Log

[NOTE: This is what happens when I start NOTION 4 (4.0.324 or 4.0.325), and it makes no sense for Mac OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) to be trying to start NOTION 3 or whatever it is attempting to do with NOTION 3 or a related NOTION 3 file. The operating system correctly realizes that it makes no sense and apparently decides to ignore it, because what actually starts is the 64-bit version of NOTION 4, so this is a bit puzzling, and at present I do not know enough about Mac OS X 10.8.3 internals, bundles, packages, and so forth to make sense of what is happening, but from an intuitive perspective based on simple pattern analysis, using an analogy, metaphor, or simile, it is like the conductor is priming the horn section to begin playing but a group of kazoo players jump in front of the horn players, and the conductor finds this momentarily amusing but quickly banishes the kazoo players and makes them go away . . . ]

NOTION 4.0.324 at Launch Time ~ Partial Log

[NOTE: I think this type of stuff is fascinating, so if you solve the problem, send me a PM, since I am curious about the attempt to do something with NOTION 3, which looks a bit odd . . . :ugeek: ]

Admin wrote:I would like to investigate this issue a bit just to determine where the problem might be. Please contact tech support if any other users run into this problem.

For reference, the way I solved the problem is explained in my first post to this thread, which basically was to download the ".zip" file from the Notion Music website, which actually contained "Notion.app", and I just copied it to the correct location in the "Applications" folder, but after making a copy of the NOTION 4.0.324 application, so that I could go backward, which is handy for investigating this type of problem, since it makes it easy to recreate the steps . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. I am a registered Mac OS X and iOS application developer (Apple Developer Connection [ADC]), and I have Xcode 4.6.1 installed on the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (early-2008) with 20GB of memory here in the sound isolation studio running Mac OS X 10.8.3, and as you know these are the current production versions. I am not running any beta software or test versions of Mac OS X . . .
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:19 am

Dear Surfwhammy,

This seems like an isolated incident that is related to your machine and your setup. We tried removing the plists that are related to both Notion 3 and Notion 4, which are the same. Then ran the auto-installer to see if it would crash after having opened Notion 3 before running the auto-update.

We have not found a solution to your issue except that for this release of Build 4.0.325, you have run the manual downloadable update. If we run into it again in the future, we will investigate further. When the next update comes out, run the auto-installer and let us know how it goes.

I am sorry that at this time we cannot be of any further assistance to you on this matter. Hopefully, there is not a global problem, but if there is we will then be able to track it down and fix it. It seems that maybe having so many different builds of Notion 3 & 4 on the same computer could be the issue.

Regards,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Admin wrote:Dear Surfwhammy,

This seems like an isolated incident that is related to your machine and your setup. We tried removing the plists that are related to both Notion 3 and Notion 4, which are the same. Then ran the auto-installer to see if it would crash after having opened Notion 3 before running the auto-update.

We have not found a solution to your issue except that for this release of Build 4.0.325, you have run the manual downloadable update. If we run into it again in the future, we will investigate further. When the next update comes out, run the auto-installer and let us know how it goes.

I am sorry that at this time we cannot be of any further assistance to you on this matter. Hopefully, there is not a global problem, but if there is we will then be able to track it down and fix it. It seems that maybe having so many different builds of Notion 3 & 4 on the same computer could be the issue.

Regards,

-Admin

NOTION 4.0.325 (64-bit) is working nicely on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio, and I did some work on a song earlier this morning, so everything is fabulous . . .

Fabulous!

For reference, the previous automatic update worked flawlessly (NOTION 4.0.324), which was at the time when I was running Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) . . .

As best as I can determine, the only major difference in the machine states is that the NOTION 4.0.325 update was released after Mac OS X 10.8.2 was updated automatically via the Mac App Store to Mac OS X 10.8.3, so it might have something to do with changes introduced in Mac OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) . . .

And I do have a lot of archives and backups, including internal hard drives that are snapshots of the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio going back to the original internal hard drive that was in the Mac Pro from the factory, although at present I just have the Lion and Mountain Lion internal hard drives in the Mac Pro, along with a dual drive simple RAID 0 array (two 1.5GB Seagate Barracuda drives), where for example if I want to run Panther and the software I had at the time, I just need to pull one of the current internal hard drives and replace it with the Panther drive cloned with SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket), although so far I have not needed to do this . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION