Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Poor 4.0.325 Windows update experience

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Poor 4.0.325 Windows update experience

Postby ShiftyGeezer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Just a quick couple of sardonic questions regards this update.

1) Why is there no download progress or even started notification whatsoever? I clicked "update now" and nothing happened. So I clicked it again a minute later, and nothing happened. And then just as I started the manual downloader from the website, I was informed that the update was installing.

2) What kind of installer force resets your PC without any warning, closing all your open apps and losing all your recent work? (Apply suitable swearwords in the appropriate places) You can make as many excuses as you like about warnings in the installer text, if there is any, but those of us with two decades PC experience know from experience that every single installer can be run without closing all other programs and will tell you if it needs to restart your computer, giving plenty of time to save work.

This has been the lousiest user experience regards a simple software update I've ever had, and I'm decidedly unimpressed. The most basic HCI knowledge would know to add both notifications to tell your user what your program is doing, and to give them control over significant events like resetting the PC. I doubt even 5% of Comp Sci undergrads would even make this sort of ridiculous design decision.
ShiftyGeezer

Re: Poor 4.0.325 Windows update experience

Postby pcartwright » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:06 pm

I didn't experience either of those issues (win7 64 bit). The installer ran from the system tray, and no reboot required.

Is it possible that Notion upgraded while Windows or another piece of software performed an update?
pcartwright

Postby ShiftyGeezer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:51 am

Win 7 32 bit for me. The installer ran from the system tray, but there was no notification of it, and it was only when the file started installing I realised there even was a notification. Many of us have the notifications limited to just a couple on show. Windows Update shows no updates yesterday.

Just to balance this out, after the shock of yesterday, I bought Notion over the alternatives because it just worked, how it should, with a very intuitive interface, unlike the awkwardness I found in the likes of Sibelius. So this is the diametric opposite from the same software, and very surprising.
ShiftyGeezer

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:01 am

Installing the updates never requires a reboot, and certainly wouldn't do it without warning. There must be some other issue with your system that led to that happening.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:26 am

If you are experiencing difficulty with the Auto-Update, please contact Technical Support at:

e: support@notionmusic.com
p: 1-866-398-2994

We would be happy to help you with any issues that you are having.

Regards,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION