Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Mvt. from Sonata for Clarinet & Piano

A Place to Share Your NOTION Files

Mvt. from Sonata for Clarinet & Piano

Postby ottomc » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi all,

Below you will find a YouTube-link to the final movement of a clarinet sonata that I am writing for a composer/clarinetist friend (and recent Notion convert from Finale!) in California.

http://youtu.be/4lCJzm3MeLI

A few comments,

(1) I have used Notion's jazz clarinet (from the jazz expanson set) for the clarinet part, doubled by Notion's ordinary clarinet at certain places. In general, the jazz clarinet sounds richer in overtones to my ears. Any other opinions, or suggestions for other virtual clarinets?

(2) I have used Piano in Blue from Cinesamples for the piano part. In addition to Pianoteq 4, this has become my favorite among virtual pianos. It is quite an inspiration to play the "same" piano as Bill Evans in the Kind of Blue sessions and Glenn Gould in his first, legendary recording of the Goldberg Variations. Recommended! In general, Notion's generic VST rules make VST pianos (like Piano in Blue, which runs in Kontakt) respond adequately to basic articulations and dynamics, in my experience.

(3) There is one problem with the notation of dynamics when you write for grand staff, though -- and this applies not only to VST instruments -- viz. the inabilty to move hairpins vertically. You can do this with dynamic markings like p and f, but it would be great to be able to move the whole dynamic notation "package" to a perfect position in relation to the staves and the notes. Does anybody have a workaround for this?

(4) When you use the "Export audio..." option form the File menu, it seems that the audio of VST instruments (like Piano in Blue) is not picked up by Notion's bouncing function, but only the audio of natively supported libraries. Does anybody else have the same experience? On a Mac you can use Screenflow and export the audio from there, so it is not a big problem for Mac users, but I have not found a similar workaround in Windows.

Best,
Otto
Otto Martin Christensen
www.faidros.no
ottomc

Re: Mvt. from Sonata for Clarinet & Piano

Postby fabiolcati » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Always a pleasure to listen to your work, Otto.

Notion's Jazz clarinet sounds very good to me. Jazz incarnation of a sampled instrument seems to be always reacher in tone and to sport a widr range of articulation than its classical counterpart.

Look to http://www.samplemodeling.com SWAM Soprano & Bass Clarinets. Expensive but worth to have a listen to.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby ottomc » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks a lot for your comment, Fabio!

And great to get the link to the excellent Italian sample makers at Samplemodeling -- thanks! (BTW, good luck with the Italian elections today).

Otto
Otto Martin Christensen
www.faidros.no
ottomc

Postby Frieda » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi
A beautiful composition!

Frieda
Frieda

Postby ottomc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:18 pm