Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Enter Grace Notes on Ipad

Enter Grace Notes on Ipad

Postby whowery » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:30 pm

How do I enter a grace note on the ipad interface?

Thanks, Will
whowery

Re: Enter Grace Notes on Ipad

Postby thorrild » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi showery,

There is a toolbar button for that, and it has a picture of a grace note on it (along with a cross head note). I believe it's the third or fourth button from the left.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby whowery » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:28 am

Thank you for the response. I've found the tool bar icon. However, I can't figure out the steps to have the note become a grace note. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Can someone who knows the secret recipe please share it with me.

Thanks, Will
whowery

Postby thorrild » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:47 am

1. Place the cursor in the staff where you want the grace note.
2. Tap the toolbar icon mentioned above (grace note and cross head note).
3. From the sub-level tool bar, tap one of the two grace note icons (16th or 8th).
4. Tap the pitch you want on the on-screen keyboard.

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby whowery » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks I get the X cross head note, but now do I get the little grace note tied to a base note.

I'd like what is called an Acciaccatura. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornament_(music))

Thanks, Will
whowery

Postby thorrild » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:29 pm

I think it's safe to say that Notion's grace note capabilities are restricted to standard notation of not-too specialized music. According to Kurt Stone's book on notation (Music Notation in the Twentieth Century), it is no longer considered necessary to place a slur (not a tie) between a grace note and the following pitch. Nevertheless, Notion allows you to slur grace notes: Tap on Select, highlight grace note and main note, and tap the slur icon at the far left of the sub-toolbar.

If you are looking to create a baroque-style Acciaccatura, you'll need to write it out as standard notation. The Acciaccatura starts on the beat, not before the beat, as "modern" grace notes do. The same wikipedia article on Ornaments shows you how to do this:
150px-Acciaccatura_execution.png
150px-Acciaccatura_execution.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 10169 times

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Return to Notion for iPad