Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How to add a controller?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

How to add a controller?

Postby lucha » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Hello All,

I just bought Notion last Sunday and need help for the following point. I am a composer of classical music for organ. Usually, after composing on paper I transcribe my music step by step for a clear notation, and then I put on my score all controllers for playback on my Midi organ. I see no way to control the expression pedals on a score written step by step. Overdub will not work in this case and hairpins seem to control the velocity, not the expression. What should I do with Notion? Thank you.

Luc
Last edited by lucha on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lucha

Re: How to add a controller?

Postby kvapka » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:45 am

if you are use midi (midi staff) then you must create your own rule for hairpins for control expression.
kvapka

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:24 am

You'll have to record the expression into a different (sequencer) tack, and then send that track's MIDI output to the organ track (Shift-I).
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby lucha » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks to wcreed51 and kvapka. The idea of a separate hidden staff is a good tip if writing rules are too complicated for me. But I'll try and I began to read the documentation about it. By the way, is there a free XML editor easy to use that you suggest?

Another question is how to introduce a simple controller. Brian told me to just add a text box to my score and write in anything I wish to write in. But which syntax must I use for a Control Change or a RPN message? I didn't find any documentation on it.
lucha

Postby wcreed51 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 am

I didn't know that was even posible...

I use Notepad2 on the PC.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:38 am

wcreed51 wrote:You'll have to record the expression into a different (sequencer) tack, and then send that track's MIDI output to the organ track (Shift-I).

This is totally correct. Velocity can be recorded onto a sequencer staff using CC11 data. Use Shift + I, to do a channel change on the sequencer staff and send to the same Output Channel that your Instrument is on. You can do this with many of the MIDI Continuous Controllers in many of the VSTi's that are available. For example, creating a Wah guitar sound by sending MIDI CC Data to the Frequency Knob in an EQ that is set with a fairly narrow Q.

Have fun...
Admin
Site Admin

Postby lucha » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 am

Thank you for the information but the Velocity parameter is useless to me because the organ plays continuous sounds, which must be modulated by a change in volume (CC 7 for example).
lucha

Postby pcartwright » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Do you not have a midi controller that can send CC data? A lot of controllers allow the user to assign a CC number to the knob or slider being used. You would simply assign the controller to CC 7 and record.
pcartwright

Postby dcd111 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 pm

I believe you can record any CC you want, they were just using CC11 as an example. If you have a controller that will send CC7 data (or whatever CC you need), you can record that instead on the sequencer staff discussed above. There are also ways to convert the CC between the controller and the Notion input if you don't have a controller that can be reconfigured, but that would be a bit more complicated.

You can also use custom rules to change the CC that is affected by the dynamics and hairpins, if you prefer that approach and don't need the finer control that is possible with recording the controller data directly. Without having to learn too much about custom rules, you can try this approach pretty easily:

1. Find the folder \Notion 4\Support\PluginData\Generic\ in your Program FIles folder (if you're using a PC; look wherever programs get installed on a Mac if that's what you're using instead).
2. COPY the subfolder "Rules" and paste in the same folder where you saved your Notion organ composition.
3. In the copied Rules folder, there will be a file "Generic.prules". Rename it whatever you like, retaining the .prules extension.
4. Open the copied .prules file in a text editor like Notepad.
5. Change <plugin id="1"> on Line 17 to <midi-out id="A">, or replace "A" with whichever outgoing MIDI port you use from Notion to your organ.
6. Change the <hairpin-cc value="11"> on Line 22 to <hairpin-cc value="7">
7. Save the file.
8. Dynamic markings and hairpins should now adjust both CC7 and velocity simultaneously, but CC11 will no longer change.

This will allow you to use some standard articulations like staccato and accents in your playback, too. I have no idea if this is appropriate for organ composition or playing; if not, just delete whatever articulations you don't want or need in the copied .prules file, or adjust them to taste.

Going forward, remember to include this copied "Rules" folder in the same folder as every one of your Notion organ compositions.

I would have created the revised .prules file for you myself, but because I'm suggesting that you use the Notion generic rules file as the starting point I don't know if there are copyright issues distributing it.
dcd111

Postby lucha » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:02 pm

Dear dcd11,

I am very grateful for all the effort you made for me. Your explanations were so clear that I had no trouble applying them.

After several tests, unfortunately it appears that there is a bug. Simultaneously to each 'Note On' Notion sends a message that disrupts controllers. The B0 0B 5A CC expression controller is added and therefore supersedes the desired setting during each attack. I suppose that this phenomenon does not only happen to me ...

I wish to attach a JPG file to this post to show the report in Midi-Ox but after selecting my file (131 KB) it disappears when I click on 'Add the file'.
lucha

Next

Return to NOTION