Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Will Notion 4 ReWire properly with Sonar X2 64bit?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Will Notion 4 ReWire properly with Sonar X2 64bit?

Postby vintagevibes » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:51 am

tomr wrote:From my personal experiance I can confirm that x2 x64 and notion 4 seem to play well together in both win 7 and win 8 . I have not had any problms with rewire. My only complaint is that notion only supports 44.1khz sample rate.

Thanks! Have you used projects that have tempo changes? Does it follow properly?
vintagevibes

Postby tomr » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:31 am

The one project I tried it on does have tempo changes and it worked ok. My issue was with the sample rate since my project was 48k. I had to transpose down a half step in Notion 4 and then use the manual tuning in Notion 4 to get it to playback in tune. But as I said the time change did work correctly.

For obvious reasons I reverted back to my previous work flow to complete this project: Export audio as 44.1/16 from sonar and import into the Notion 4 project. Then do my work in Notion 4 and export the audio and import back into sonar.

If I knew I was going to rely heavily on Notion for a specific project I would just start it in sonar as 44.1 and then rewire Notion.

I have submitted a feature request for Notion to support higher sample rates. If that is important to you as well please do the same. Perhaps in a future update.........
tomr

Postby deanesque » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
deanesque

Postby blackdorito » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:38 am

I have a more basic need ... and that is simply to record multiple Notion instruments into separate SONAR audio tracks. I have Notion 3 and Sonar X1 LE. If I get into the Notion mixer and assign separate output channels (e.g. for the individual String sections) and then I load up Notion as a ReWire instrument in Sonar, it can automatically create bounteous Sonar audio channels for each possible Notion output channel assignment. If I arm these channels in Sonar and then simply start playback within Notion, I can see the audio input in the Level meters in the Sonar tracks .... SO CLOSE!

I don't want to involve MIDI ... I don't want to create any MIDI tracks anywhere ... I don't want to send MIDI from Sonar to Notion ... and therefore I guess I don't want to truly use the ReWire architecture ... I want to do a much more basic thing that should be quite simple on my Win7 PC: I want to establish multiple ASIO channels that are fed audio by Notion and recorded into Sonar audio tracks.

Does anyone know how to do this? ASIO4ALL does not work because it seems to want to provide connections to/from actual hardware devices, not convey audio between one software app and another. I've tried VAC (virtual audio cable) in the past but it was too limited and impenetrable.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
blackdorito

Postby derAbgang » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Does anyone know how to do this? ASIO4ALL does not work because it seems to want to provide connections to/from actual hardware devices, not convey audio between one software app and another. I've tried VAC (virtual audio cable) in the past but it was too limited and impenetrable.

I use jackd [1] on a windows 7 x64 slave machine. A quote from the main page:

"Have you ever wanted to take the audio output of one piece of software and send it to another? How about taking the output of that same program and send it to two others, then record the result in the first program?"

Currently, my main use for this is the ability to send midi data from another PC (also running jack) and recording the return audio channels back into my DAW (software instruments live on the slave). I've also used the connection manager to hook notion output into sonar input -- basically, with ASIO capable applications, anything is possible.

[1] http://jackaudio.org/

Also, see: http://jackaudio.org/jack_on_windows
derAbgang

Previous

Return to NOTION