Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Lots of problems with the dynamic parts function

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Lots of problems with the dynamic parts function

Postby mrarnesen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi,

I wonder if i'm the only one who is having huge problems with the dynamic parts function in Notion 4. Or if this is a bug?

This is what happens:
I click on dynamic parts to view one instrument. To make it look good I do some changes on measures per system, and do some system breaks.

Then I view the next instrument, and suddenly parts of it looks really wrong. For example it may suddenly have just one measure at some of the systems. The worst example so far is that I got just one measure or system on one page, and the rest of the music on the next page.

Here is one example you can take a look at:
dynamic part problem.jpg
dynamic part problem.jpg (46.11 KiB) Viewed 9765 times

After trying to adjust several instruments, it gets worse and worse. And now I actually have a score where the dynamic parts looks crazy. I will probably have to rewrite the whole score, which means several hours of work.

I can't use Notion anymore if this can't be fixed. Is there any way to fix this?
Logic Pro 9, Kontakt 5, Notion 4, Requiem Light, Mercury Symphonic Boychoir, Emotional Piano, Miroslav Philharmonik.
mrarnesen

Re: Lots of problems with the dynamic parts function

Postby mrarnesen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:52 pm

I'll show you two more examples:

This one shows some measures on one page, and the rest of the piece on the next page:
dynamic part problem2.jpg
dynamic part problem2.jpg (10.71 KiB) Viewed 9762 times

This one shows that its not possible to adjust this:
dynamic part problem3.jpg
dynamic part problem3.jpg (59.38 KiB) Viewed 9762 times
Logic Pro 9, Kontakt 5, Notion 4, Requiem Light, Mercury Symphonic Boychoir, Emotional Piano, Miroslav Philharmonik.
mrarnesen

Postby pcartwright » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:25 pm

What are your settings under Full Score Options and Part Options?
pcartwright

Postby mrarnesen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:40 am

pcartwright wrote:What are your settings under Full Score Options and Part Options?

Full score settings:
Paper size A3

Notation size: 5pts
Notation style: Standard
Measure numbers: Each system
Titles on first system: Part name
Titles following: Part abbreviation
Measures per system: Automatic

Staff spacing: 1 Space
System breaks: Don't show
System break spacing: 3 spaces
Multi-measure rests: None
Chord summary: Dont show

Part options:
Paper size: A4

Notation size: 4 pts.
NOtation style: Standard
MEasure numbers: Each system
TItles on forst system: Part name
Titles following: Part abbreviation
Measures pre system: 5

Staff spacing: 1 space
System breaks: Dont show
System break spacing: 3 spaces
Multi-measure rests: 4
CHord summary: Dont show

I hope this isnt goodbye for me to Notion, but i'm afraid it is. Money out of the window :(
mrarnesen

Postby elerouxx » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:08 am

You are right about the problems. They actually could be solved in some simple ways.

The problem is that system breaks apply to all "Dynamic" parts, including the full score. So much for 'dynamic'.

The problem should be solved if part system/page/ breaks would only apply to that particular part, and full score breaks only apply to the full score.

There is no use for a part break that applies to all parts, is there? they spoil another parts that were already finished, they break multi-measure rests... so these breaks should only apply locally, somehow be stored with the part and neither the full score or other parts should be aware of this break.

You should post a request about this. Maybe they listen to you. I hope someone can tell me I am wrong, but I think not a single request from me or others (as far as I can see) made it from Notion3 to Notion4, so I am a bit tired of posting them.
elerouxx

Postby pcartwright » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:55 am

elerouxx wrote:I hope someone can tell me I am wrong, but I think not a single request from me or others (as far as I can see) made it from Notion3 to Notion4, so I am a bit tired of posting them.

You are wrong. The addition of a 64 bit version was a huge feature request as was improved playback functionality (many requests around both of these). The features added/changed were mostly in these two areas, so please continue to post.
pcartwright

Postby mrarnesen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:38 am

elerouxx wrote:You are right about the problems. They actually could be solved in some simple ways.

The problem is that system breaks apply to all "Dynamic" parts, including the full score. So much for 'dynamic'.

The problem should be solved if part system/page/ breaks would only apply to that particular part, and full score breaks only apply to the full score.

There is no use for a part break that applies to all parts, is there? they spoil another parts that were already finished, they break multi-measure rests... so these breaks should only apply locally, somehow be stored with the part and neither the full score or other parts should be aware of this break.

You should post a request about this. Maybe they listen to you. I hope someone can tell me I am wrong, but I think not a single request from me or others (as far as I can see) made it from Notion3 to Notion4, so I am a bit tired of posting them.

Well, if this is the case, and I'm afraid you're right, I say goodbye to Notion. I've had enough. The dynamic parts function became a nightmare :(
mrarnesen

Postby mrarnesen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 am

elerouxx wrote:You should post a request about this. Maybe they listen to you. I hope someone can tell me I am wrong, but I think not a single request from me or others (as far as I can see) made it from Notion3 to Notion4, so I am a bit tired of posting them.

How do I post a request about this, if this thread isn't a request already?
mrarnesen

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:55 pm

You put it in the Feature Request section of the forum:

viewforum.php?f=19
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby t. lower » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Well, I've tried it again {using Notion 4 as my ONLY notation software as an arranger/composer} but I've ended up {again} using the 'other 2' products to complete my orchestral arrangements.
Yes, the multi-measure function needs to be changed. I'm hung up right now on 'extracting parts' for an orchestral arrangement I need to finish--25 parts. Each part has alot of multi-measure rests. This software needs to be changed so you can Specifically Designate which measures (rests) should be included in a multi-measure rest bar.....any number of measures--not just 2,4,6 or 8.
Also, having a multi-measure rest bar stand alone and not fill the entire width of the page (as is the case with Notion 4 and shown in a screen grab from a previous post) looks silly and unprofessionally unusual..can't even 'click/highlight' the multi-measure rest bar...guess I'll have to use Sibelius to extract & print the parts---too bad, but I can't have parts that look like this in Notion 4.
This and (at least) 2 other things: (1) not being able to have typical/normal rhythm slash marks----without noteheads--please!! and (2) not being able to freely move text around---only over a note or rest--what if you have a whole note in the bar??...text must be at the beginning of the measure-----silly and frustrating-- have caused me to go back to Sibelius and Finale for the final engraving & printing.
I love the ease-of-use of Notion 4 (version 4.0.329) and the wonderful sounds, but things like I mentioned above have led me to believe that the folks calling the shots at Notion 4 have decided that their software should be used only for basic scoring and playback---not full-use engraving/printing that professionals in the business NEED to have....this is basic stuff!!
To Notion 4: any comments for us out here and any chance on these very important things being fixed? I'd love to have Notion 4 as my "Complete Go-To" notation software but it ain't happening as of right now......MANY others I know feel the same way.....why not be REALLY competitive with 'S' and 'F' in this market?
t. lower

Next

Return to NOTION