Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 3 no sound after updating to Notion 4

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion 3 no sound after updating to Notion 4

Postby patricio » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:00 am

Since i upgraded to Notion 4, my Notion 3 doesn't play the sounds and gives a pop up window that ".part " is missing and also my other sounds violin etc etc. I checked the Notion 3 sounds folder (OSX HD Application Support) the sounds are there. In the folders Sounds, Bundled and N2.
Please some help.
patricio

Re: Notion 3 no sound after updating to Notion 4

Postby patricio » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:08 pm

Now version 4 is not working like it should....really frustrated....step write on the midi keyboard doesn't work properly.
Note values are off time and also multiv oice can't be disabled.
Wish i never made the jump to Version 4 from 3. At least till the upgrade 3 was working fine and smooth.
patricio

Postby wcreed51 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Did you check the audio settings?
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:03 pm

patricio wrote:Since i upgraded to Notion 4, my Notion 3 doesn't play the sounds and gives a pop up window that ".part " is missing and also my other sounds violin etc etc. I checked the Notion 3 sounds folder (OSX HD Application Support) the sounds are there. In the folders Sounds, Bundled and N2.
Please some help.

Try resetting the location of the sampled sounds in NOTION 3, which is done in the NOTION 3 "Preferences . . . " dialog on the "Audio" tab . . .

patricio wrote:Now version 4 is not working like it should....really frustrated....step write on the midi keyboard doesn't work properly.
Note values are off time and also multiv oice can't be disabled.
Wish i never made the jump to Version 4 from 3. At least till the upgrade 3 was working fine and smooth.

[NOTE: I cannot provide much help on the MIDI stuff, although there are some settings that might be helpful, where the Buffer Size might make a difference ("256 Samples" is the default for NOTION 3) . . . ]

QUESTION: Which year and model Mac are you using, where knowing the processor(s) and memory will be helpful?

QUESTION: Which version of Mac OS X are you running?

QUESTION: Are you using an external digital audio interface like the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, which probably is the case since you are doing MIDI?

[NOTE: With the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, you need to set the Output in NOTION for the Master stereo output channel or track to the 'Ch 9-10" pair, since this is what NOTION maps to "Main Out 1-2" for the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, and this happens with other applications, as well . . . ]

THOUGHTS

Everything is working nicely with both NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 here in the sound isolation studio, where I am running a 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro with 20GB of memory and Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion), and this is an early 2008 Mac Pro, hence is not a new Mac, but so what . . .

So what!

I would verify the hard drive and repair permissions, which you can do via the Mac OS X Disk Utility (found in the "Utilities" folder in "Applications") . . .

And if something stops working, until you discover the cause and how to correct it, I recommend rebooting to clear everything, especially if you are experimenting with ReWre, where instead of trying to troubleshoot the system after something which was working suddenly stops working, I recommend doing a reboot before trying to troubleshoot stuff, since if a process, thread, library module, or something did not end correctly, it can persist but not really be there, which in turn causes subsequent instances of an application to use the "ghost" or "phantom" process, thread, or whatever, which makes the problem continue to occur . . .

There is something new that happens when NOTION 4 is installed on a Mac where NOTION 3 already was installed, and you can see it when NOTION 3 starts, where there is some type of "helper" dialog that flashes for a second or so during initial loading of NOTION 3 when you first run it, which leads me to infer that NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 are not so completely and totally separate . . .

If you are running Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), then I think whatever problems are happening have solutions and probably have simple solutions rather than being something complex . . .

And since you have existing NOTION 3 scores, if you open them in NOTION 4, then do a "Save As . . . ", because as best as I can determine the file extension (".notion") is the same for both versions, except that the score format, specific information, and so forth are not necessarily forward and backward compatible . . .

In other words, you can move forward, but I am not so certain about moving backward, and the reason to do a "Save As . . ." is to avoid NOTION automatically saving everything so that in the event of a crash it can do a "restore" . . .

As a bit of advice for the future, when you have a finely tuned digital music production system and there are new versions major of software, what I do is get a new internal hard drive and clone the existing primary internal hard drive with SuperDuper (Shirt Pocket), followed by verifying that the newly cloned drive is working nicely; and then I install new software to the newly cloned drive, so that if there are problems, then the original drive is there and getting everything back to the way it was is just a matter of booting to the original drive rather than to the cloned drive, where I give the cloned drive a different name to avoid confusion, of course . . .

SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket)

This is what comes to mind at the moment, and with more information on what you are doing and what happens I might be able to provide more specific help . . .

Lots of FUN . . . :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION