Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Realtime Midi Input

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Realtime Midi Input

Postby mbeaumont » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:47 am

I have just recorded a piano part using the realtime record. On playback it sounds nothing like what was recorded and the notes times have all been changed.

Is this a problem with notion that anyone has noticed or do I have a problem with my setup.

I am using QLEWSO Play.

Mik
mbeaumont

Re: Realtime Midi Input

Postby Novatlan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:54 am

This indeed is a bug in Notion, which has been discussed at lenght in this forum.
Lubo (Notion's product manager) has already confirmed that the developers are working like mad on fixing this, so have a bit of patience :)
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby pianotone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Yes this at the moment is completely unusable. Also at present even if you import MIDI files into notion all the mdi timings are messed up. I would have thought this aspect must be an absolutely urgent matter to fix for a program which claims to be a bridge between notation and audio. It is a fundamental flaw at present and I think should have been sorted prior to its release.
pianotone

Postby Novatlan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:29 pm

It IS an absolutely urgent matter.
I do not work for Notion (though would love to^^), but the little that I know about software development is that reality and visions most of the time do not match.
We (and Notion) have to make the best out of it.

My usual mantra: Wait. Patience. If you don't like Notion at the moment, do not use it for the time being. Because of the input problems, that's what I do right now. As soon as the input problems (which have nothing to do with MIDI) are sorted out, I'll jump on the bandwagon.
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
Novatlan

Postby pianotone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:43 pm

So if you wish to play music in, to get a good natural 'groove' in Notion, you can't. Since the program is all about top quality playback I think the real time input is a scandal. If it not a MIDI problem what is it? Also why did the programmers not design in the simple ability to have a bar or two count-in prior to real-time input recording? How can anyone expect to play accurately if you don't know what the tempo is without a count-in? This is all such basic stuff and should have been there right from the start.
pianotone

Postby Novatlan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Of course it _should_.
But it isn't. I agree that this should have been solved prior to release.
But is wasn't.

Lubo has stated that the devs are fixing it. That's all he can do for us now.
Keeping on complaining the whole time just angers people but brings nothing good.

The could as well say: "f*** you, you bought the software, so we have your money and now you're screwed". But the do not.
I know lots of companies who would.

As much as I think a count-in to be absolutely essential, I realise that _right at the moment_ there is nothing I can do but wait. And that is what i do.
Novatlan

Postby fandango » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:19 pm

Novatlan wrote:Lubo has stated that the devs are fixing it. That's all he can do for us now.
Keeping on complaining the whole time just angers people but brings nothing good.

+1

pianotone: I work in software development (academic work) and whilst most musicians (imo) understand the difficulties involved in software engineering, the absolute WORST thing a developer can do is to quickly hack together some code or fix in order to shove a patch out of the door as quickly as possible. What happens in that scenario is that new bugs appear and in the long run you end up with a highly unstable app which would've been better off with a bit more time to sit down and see what needs to be fixed in the wider context of the application.

The frustrating thing about this bug is that sometimes, for me, it works fine. Other times I end up with complete garbage. We know about it. They know about it.

However, having a angry rant at the devs (who have been massively accommodating compared to some music companies I could mention) does absolutely nothing to solve the problem. If you feel so badly about it (and feel that you have been deliberately mislead), contact their sales department and enquire about a full refund. The rest of us are just looking forward to refinement of this otherwise excellent application.
fandango

Postby chesshcat » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:40 pm

just discovered this thread...i'm a new Notion 3 user - bought it last week and i've just spent a good hour or so trying to get real-time input to work with no luck...was thinking i'd missed something like a quantisation setting or something but obviously not from this thread!

i'm really very disappointed - i work as a software tester for a big financial company and have to say that to release a piece of software with one of its key features having a major (and quite obvious bug) is very poor - surely any decent beta testing would have picked this up? jeez, i'm no notation veteran but even I would have!

anyway, just hope it gets fixed soon cos it's a major ball-ache at the moment and i'm kinda wishing i'd paid another £100 for Sibelius eduction edition!
chesshcat

Postby astinov » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:28 pm

Hello everyone,

I'd like to chime in and one more time reassure you that this is a top priority issue that we are working on, right now. It is a complicated one and we hope to be able to provide an updated Real Time MIDI import/entry functionality as soon as the end of the month, possibly.

Your voice is important to us and we want to make sure you realize this. While we work on improving this functionality, please be patient with us. Thank you!

Regards,

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby fandango » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:05 pm

Lubo: I assume you already know this, but it's probably not the MIDI Input that's the problem? (i.e., stuff recorded onto a SequencerStaff plays back exactly what you recorded)

It seems to be the Quantisation code that turns it into notation that is causing this mangled MIDI data.

Midi Record -> Notation Staff -> Garbage
Midi Record -> Sequencer Staff -> Fine
Midi Record -> Sequencer Staff -> Convert To Notation -> Garbage

Are there plans to allow an input quantise setting? (i.e., eights, sixteenths, etc.)
fandango

Next

Return to NOTION