Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

First Composition

A Place to Share Your NOTION Files

First Composition

Postby JohnnySA » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:56 am

Just got Notion software, and this is my first piece of music.

https://soundcloud.com/jgsa/falling

Have been listening to other submissions here, and I am blown away - incredible stuff.
Thanks
JohnnySA

Re: First Composition

Postby JohnF » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:30 am

Welcome Johnny,

I like the falling feeling you have.

A few comments. I wonder if the the cello line(nice melody) would work better as a trumpet. It feels as though it's battling for our ears with the piano.

Looking forward to future works!

John
JohnF

Postby idiotSavant » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Johnny, welcome! I don't feel qualified to judge your work compositionally speaking, but I agree with John's comment. Sonically the parts would sit better in different places; either by changing the instrumentation as John suggested, or by changing the space in which they live in the recording (front to back/left to right), to develop more of a dialog between the lines.

But generally speaking, it's a nice first effort... keep it up!
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby saintdufus » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:16 pm

Welcome, Johnny! (It's nice not to be the newest member of the community anymore.) ;)

Good job on your first effort...keep working and growing. Composing is so much fun!

We really do have some talented composers in this forum. My current favorite composition in this community is a beautiful piece called "In the Garden of Faeries," by Kurt Landre.

Check it out...it's quite inspiring:

https://soundcloud.com/kmlandre/in-the- ... ries-final
saintdufus

Postby JohnnySA » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:14 am

I'm still a Newbie (got Notion in June and had never composed music before that), but I have a follow up composition:

https://soundcloud.com/jgsa/synth-summer

Just looking at the other submissions here, I am still amazed at the quality of work and sound. I am having fun using Notion and as long as it's fun I'll keep at it.
JohnnySA

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:11 am

JohnnySA wrote:I'm still a Newbie (got Notion in June and had never composed music before that), but I have a follow up composition:

https://soundcloud.com/jgsa/synth-summer

Just looking at the other submissions here, I am still amazed at the quality of work and sound. I am having fun using Notion and as long as it's fun I'll keep at it.

You have good intuition for chord patterns, melody, and counterpoint; so trust your intuition, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby above90decibels » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:16 am

Hi, long time Notion user, first time posting. I just wanted to post a link to a composition and get an opinion or two. My concept is to write progressive rock using a small amount of horns and stringed instruments, purely acoustic, save the electric bass. This was one of my earliest compositions dating back to 2010. There are vocals, but I am in the process of finding a vocal coach before I do any recording. :D

https://soundcloud.com/anthony-parkison/compulsion

I hope to get on here more in the future, and on the new Presonus forum for Notion, to get more involved with Notion and the community. I've been a user since the beginning and I am really hopeful for the future of the product.
above90decibels

Postby JohnF » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 pm

Anthony,
I feel you have strong material here. At 1:30 my ear was ready for something new. I think the variations are nice and work well but I would suggest attempting to vary the piano melody a bit. Perhaps this will lead to incoherency but a little more variation in the beginning in the piano is what I hear in my head. At 5:30 the bass melody felt repetitive. :)

The composition as a whole though really works. I need to take variation lessons from you!

These comments were on the first listen, and the piano melody and bass melody was the only thing I could think of that I didn't enjoy personally. Good job! It held my interest the whole time.

John

P.S. The ending could use a little more punch.
JohnF

Postby above90decibels » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks John, I appreciate the comments. From the vast array of compositions on your Bandcamp page it seems it is I that should be taking the lessons!

Although I have tried to keep it 'musically interesting' this composition is intended as a rock tune; my attempt at blending my love of progressive rock/metal and the natural, organic sounds of the orchestra. I also dislike most commercial uses of the guitar, so I have intentionally left it out in the attempt to fill that space with brass and strings, which are so much more pleasing to my ear.

I think with the vocals the repetitions wouldn't be so pronounced, but again, most rock, while also suffering from the 1,4,5 syndrome, is highly repetitive. I hope I'm not coming across as defensive, I only want to express my reasoning and intention with this piece.
above90decibels

Return to Share NOTION Files