Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Love Theme

A Place to Share Your NOTION Files

Love Theme

Postby saintdufus » Tue May 27, 2014 8:51 pm

This is my first effort at a love theme.

I couldn't resist a bit of Wagnerian bombast, and the whole piece has sort of an old-fashioned feel to it, stylistically speaking. I love the grand old romantic style, the sweeping drama and flourish of old-school love themes. My recent study of the Wagner-influenced John Williams no doubt fuels this.

Please let me know your thoughts, and thanks for listening.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-w-childress/love-theme-1
saintdufus

Re: Love Theme

Postby JohnF » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:34 am

Enjoyed it, Jason!

The ending was perfect.
JohnF

Postby Yves » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Congratulation!
a powerfull use of... orchestral powerfullness!
lot's of epic in it... my suggestion would be to only" slow down the tempo a lot" (!) and use more hairpins/volume crescendo, to let breath the crescendo to give it some more weight on the tutti/FF... this will reveal some additional aspect of this romantical composition: "as it", "as fast", this give a more friendly/joyfull aspect, that a slowing speed will remove for the profit of a more romantical aspect... but this might not be your goal... ;)
Notion 4/Sonar X3 producer/Reason 7-Akai EWI USB/Yamaha C2s
Synful/Wivi/VSL inst./Miroslav/GPO4/N3 Exp. Sounds/QL Solo Violin/Hauptwerk
EW Symphonic Choirs+VOP/Vocaloid 3 Prima+Tonio
QL Pianos/Garritan Steinway/EZKeys/Pianoteq 4
Waves/Clariphonic/Maag
Yves

Postby saintdufus » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:05 pm

JohnF wrote:Enjoyed it, Jason!

The ending was perfect.

Thanks, John!

This comment makes my day. :)
saintdufus

Postby saintdufus » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Yves wrote:Congratulation!
a powerfull use of... orchestral powerfullness!
lot's of epic in it... my suggestion would be to only" slow down the tempo a lot" (!) and use more hairpins/volume crescendo, to let breath the crescendo to give it some more weight on the tutti/FF... this will reveal some additional aspect of this romantical composition: "as it", "as fast", this give a more friendly/joyfull aspect, that a slowing speed will remove for the profit of a more romantical aspect... but this might not be your goal... ;)

Hi Yves, thanks so much for your kind comments and excellent suggestions. I think you're right on the money, and these points (greater use of tempo and dynamics) are areas of improvement that I have been becoming aware of myself in recent days as well.

I will keep these points in mind, particularly for my next love theme.
saintdufus

Postby idiotSavant » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:27 pm

Very nice. I'd like to hear a companion piece... Love for the 21st century. :)
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby saintdufus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:29 pm

idiotSavant wrote:Very nice. I'd like to hear a companion piece... Love for the 21st century. :)

Ha! Thanks Savant...I agree, this is a bit 20th century. ;)

That's because my influences tend toward the past--I love the Romantic era, and the majestic grandeur of old-world symphonic themes. I'm a bit old-school in that sense, and I know need to augment that with more contemporary influences.

Anyway, thanks for listening and commenting, I appreciate it.
saintdufus

Postby saintdufus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:29 pm

idiotSavant wrote:Very nice. I'd like to hear a companion piece... Love for the 21st century. :)

Ha! Thanks Savant...I agree, this is a bit 20th century. ;)

That's because my influences tend toward the past--I love the Romantic era, and the majestic grandeur of old-world symphonic themes. I'm a bit old-school in that sense, and I know need to augment that with more contemporary influences.

Anyway, thanks for listening and commenting.
saintdufus

Postby idiotSavant » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:09 pm

saintdufus wrote:That's because my influences tend toward the past--I love the Romantic era, and the majestic grandeur of old-world symphonic themes.

I'm right there with you. My influences architecturally (my day job) have either been, Classical, Art Nouveau, Secessionist or Beaux-arts Classicism, or else futuristically modern. I've done electronic music as well. Got my start musically speaking in the late 70's early 80's, trying to emulate bands like Kraftwerk or guys like Jean Michele Jarre and Eno.

Perhaps you've noticed that most of the music I record falls in the period 1870-1930. There's something about art on the edge of modernism that I find very compeling.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby saintdufus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:23 pm

idiotSavant wrote:
saintdufus wrote:That's because my influences tend toward the past--I love the Romantic era, and the majestic grandeur of old-world symphonic themes.

I'm right there with you. My influences architecturally (my day job) have either been, Classical, Art Nouveau, Secessionist or Beaux-arts Classicism, or else futuristically modern. I've done electronic music as well. Got my start musically speaking in the late 70's early 80's, trying to emulate bands like Kraftwerk or guys like Jean Michele Jarre and Eno.

Perhaps you've noticed that most of the music I record falls in the period 1870-1930. There's something about art on the edge of modernism that I find very compeling.

What exactly is "Secessionist"?
saintdufus

Next

Return to Share NOTION Files