Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Warlock - Capriol Suite Complete

A Place to Share Your NOTION Files

Warlock - Capriol Suite Complete

Postby idiotSavant » Sun May 18, 2014 7:53 pm

This piece is re-recorded with new conducting, and new audio mastering. I'm getting closer to understanding audio mastering and mixing using Notion and large-ensemble VSL, I think, but let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/tensivity/warlock-capriol-suite-complete
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Re: Warlock - Capriol Suite Complete

Postby Yves » Mon May 19, 2014 7:13 pm

Dear Michael,

With Mastering, I see exactly where you are coming from and what you want to achieve! :D

The work of mastering is harder than what we thought, and we fall so easily in some traps, while trying to achieve a more realistic recording. I went thru some difficult steps myself, that I might share with you, and that might help you.

For my humble advise/experience, you have to pay attention that too much hearing kill the ear. I experienced that with my precedent large work for +100 instruments and found that after a moment, the ear is compensing over harshness, over medium, over high and hiss...
I read some article of mastering experts, and I found that they use nearly a ration of 4mn of "great recording earing" for 1mn of "mastering session" to "clean"/"refresh" their ear, because they say by themself that a quick eq compensation made on the fly after long hearing of the same piece is less efficient than a long hearing of a perfect recording (reference) then a quick earing of your music (to be mastered) is enough to highlight what is wrong!

I made incredible mastering progress by taking more time to ear long pièces of music instead of doing quick A/B to apply quick changes in EQ. (I need to share my latest large orchestral works, that show such progress! :) ).

in your music, my first earing of your piece is :" ho gosh... something is wrong! too much harshness, too much muddyness... not enough presence/ too much diffuse sound..."...
and when I hear my first version of some of my work, I can see the same problem! :(

select your 2/3 best recording of the same orchestral configuration, and just ear them for a long time, before getting back to adjusting your mastering chain...

I hope my experience will help you!

best regards,
Notion 4/Sonar X3 producer/Reason 7-Akai EWI USB/Yamaha C2s
Synful/Wivi/VSL inst./Miroslav/GPO4/N3 Exp. Sounds/QL Solo Violin/Hauptwerk
EW Symphonic Choirs+VOP/Vocaloid 3 Prima+Tonio
QL Pianos/Garritan Steinway/EZKeys/Pianoteq 4
Waves/Clariphonic/Maag
Yves

Postby idiotSavant » Mon May 19, 2014 11:22 pm

Yves, thanks for your thoughtful reply, and your input.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that by listening too long to the piece we're trying to master our ears get "numb" and can no longer help us make good decisions. So you use a reference recording (or several), listen to that for a long time, then make minor adjustments to the piece currently being mastered? Is that correct?

If so, it's an interesting approach and I'll give it a try.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby Yves » Tue May 20, 2014 4:47 pm

exactly! ;) you got it...
at least with me, this is how ultimately I made the best decision and got the best results on adjusting my mastering chain...
Notion 4/Sonar X3 producer/Reason 7-Akai EWI USB/Yamaha C2s
Synful/Wivi/VSL inst./Miroslav/GPO4/N3 Exp. Sounds/QL Solo Violin/Hauptwerk
EW Symphonic Choirs+VOP/Vocaloid 3 Prima+Tonio
QL Pianos/Garritan Steinway/EZKeys/Pianoteq 4
Waves/Clariphonic/Maag
Yves

Return to Share NOTION Files