Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

VSL Dimension Strings Test 2 - Elgar Elegy

A Place to Share Your NOTION Files

VSL Dimension Strings Test 2 - Elgar Elegy

Postby idiotSavant » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:05 am

Another piece to test out my VSL Dimension String Orchestra: Elgar's Elegy Op 58. This piece is written for Con Sordino strings, but I have to wait for those since they're not released yet for DS libraries. :cry: Something to look forward to...

This piece using Divisi for Violins I, II and Violas.

https://soundcloud.com/tensivity/elgar-elegy-for-strings-op-58

Enjoy, and as always, feedback is appreciated!
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Re: VSL Dimension Strings Test 2 - Elgar Elegy

Postby crosati » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:03 am

Hi Michael,

very good sounding strings!
I would have used a little bit more reverb... but it is a matter of personal taste.

Claudio
crosati

Postby idiotSavant » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:54 pm

Thanks for the input Claudio!

Reverb IS a matter of personal taste. Half the time I get comments on use less, half the time use more. :D

I listened hard to a reference recording for this one, but didn't pay too much attention to the reverb depth. I'll check it again.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby idiotSavant » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:25 am

I posted this a while back and got some very useful feedback. Here's an newly recorded and remastered version:

https://soundcloud.com/tensivity/elgar-elegy-op-58-ve-sage

As alway, feedback is greatly appreciated!
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby saintdufus » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:54 pm

Beautiful!

How did you get the strings to sound that way? So lush and real...did you do anything special?
saintdufus

Postby idiotSavant » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:32 pm

saintdufus wrote:Beautiful!

How did you get the strings to sound that way? So lush and real...did you do anything special?

Thanks! It still feels a long way from real in my ears, but I've been working hard on strings. They're Vienna Symphonic Library (VSL) Dimension Strings, with careful placement and reverb and manipulation of the samples and some additional EQ effects. In addition, where there is one set of samples for a single string section for most string libraries, Dimension Strings allows me to create actual sections made up of individual players. So in this recording you're hearing 8 individual Violins I, 8 violins II, 6 violas, 6 cellos and (because the basses aren't yet released in DS) one conventional bass section. The delay and tuning variations are set for each player, and the samples for each player are actually a different instrument. That's what creates the lushness in a real orchestra, and that's what makes DS unique. I still am working on it. This piece is old and has actually been re-recorded since. I'll have to post a new version.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby saintdufus » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:15 pm

idiotSavant wrote:
saintdufus wrote:Beautiful!

Thanks! It still feels a long way from real in my ears, but I've been working hard on strings. They're Vienna Symphonic Library (VSL) Dimension Strings, with careful placement and reverb and manipulation of the samples and some additional EQ effects. In addition, where there is one set of samples for a single string section for most string libraries, Dimension Strings allows me to create actual sections made up of individual players. So in this recording you're hearing 8 individual Violins I, 8 violins II, 6 violas, 6 cellos and (because the basses aren't yet released in DS) one conventional bass section. The delay and tuning variations are set for each player, and the samples for each player are actually a different instrument. That's what creates the lushness in a real orchestra, and that's what makes DS unique. I still am working on it. This piece is old and has actually been re-recorded since. I'll have to post a new version.

Savant, thanks for explaining this: I find the whole procedure very interesting, as realistic instrument sounds are very important to me.

Unfortunately it looks like VDS is out of my current budget. Not a cheap product, is it?
saintdufus

Postby idiotSavant » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:53 pm

No, it's a significant investment.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Return to Share NOTION Files