Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Bartok's MSPC: I. Andante Tranquillo

A Place to Share Your NOTION Files

Bartok's MSPC: I. Andante Tranquillo

Postby BetaHal » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:24 pm

BetaHal

Re: Bartok's MSPC: I. Andante Tranquillo

Postby fabiolcati » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:44 am

Bravo.
I don't like Bartok's music, but you've done a very good job.
Ps I guess you're from Catalunya?
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby BetaHal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks, fabiolcati! I'm just beginning to cut my teeth with Notion, and this particular piece seemed like a good exercise. And yes, I'm from Barcelona! You must have deduced that from the similarity of our languages (I can understand a good deal of Italian, and given a reasonable quantity of red wine, I may even try to speak it :D ).

Loved your work in Lo scampato pericolo. I hope that Bruno is feeling better by now, and maybe a little bit wiser after all...
BetaHal

Postby fabiolcati » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:22 pm

¡Hola!
BetaHal wrote:I'm from Barcelona!

The YouTube caption to Bartok speaks for itself!
I fell in love with Barcelona when I was there looking to have an internship at Cases y Associats.
What a beautiful city. Listening to Beethoven at the Palau de la Musica Catalana drove me to tears.

Thank you for your care about Bruno.
Yes, he is feeling better now, though wating for a new surgery.
(Don't be worried: you will not be bothered with new music for the circumstance :D ).
Not sure he is getting wiser, indeed.

Vsl seems to work fine with Notion, isn't it?
Or were you needed to do a lot of tweakening?

Arrivederci
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby Grawnque » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:31 pm

For the most part you've got good results here. The only problem I had was hearing the beginning and the very end. Soft is good; inaudible is not. Maybe it's my system, but perhaps raising the mixer a bit might be a good thing.
Grawnque

Postby BetaHal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks for your comments, Grawnque

You're right, the dynamic range for this record is so large that is very easy to miss the beginning and the end of it. I've tried to respect Bartok's writing, but it doesn't translate well to a Notion + VSL environment. To me, harnessing dynamics is by far the most frustrating part of working with Notion. I'm slowly learning how to correct this, so maybe my next try will be better ;)
BetaHal

Postby pcartwright » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:10 pm

BetaHal wrote:You're right, the dynamic range for this record is so large that is very easy to miss the beginning and the end of it.

Unfortunately, that's just the nature of modern recording/production practices. I saw that you put a meter plugin at the end; what was the other plugin that you displayed? And what were the other two plugins that you had on the master bus? The biggest trick in mastering a track is raising the levels without giving the impression of limiting the dynamic range. I'm no mastering engineer by any means, but you may be able to find some tools to help raise the softer levels without compressing or limiting the entire sound.
pcartwright

Return to Share NOTION Files