Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Cascades, for String Orchestra

A Place to Share Your NOTION Files

Cascades, for String Orchestra

Postby jonknowles8 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:52 pm

Here is the link to a youtube video of a Notion 3 score of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF1_f5WUnEk

I made the video in Serif MoviePlusX3. I used the Notion reverb; no other processing.

I figured I'd try to illustrate the score with some photos and post it on youtube rather than just put a wav file or MP3 on my web site.

I also posted a video of the Red Sox, also composed in Notion 3. Long-time Red Sox fan here. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGLrkhDpqe0

Jon
jonknowles8

Re: Cascades, for String Orchestra

Postby mrmark » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:33 pm

Hey Jon !

Thanks for sharing your work. I am only getting started composing using Notion SLE and it is cool to hear what can be done.

Being from Canada, I can't exactly share your enthusiasm for the SOX, so maybe I'll put together an anthem for the Blue Jays or perhaps a requiem for the Toronto Maple Leafs !
Thanks again,
Mark
Thank you very much,
Mark aka Mr Mark !
www.mrmark.ca
mrmark

Postby fabiolcati » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:01 pm

Very nice.
The tremolo strings at the the beginning reminded me of Mahler' Second. But then it turns into a whole other story.
Ah, the lovely fountains of St. Petersbourg: I was there for my wedding trip; I enjoied a lot the buskers outside the balcony the photo are shot from playing flute-bassoon duets...
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby jonknowles8 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:04 pm

@MrMark: Thanks for listening to the pieces. Please post your anthem/requiem for the Blue Jays when it's ready. :)

@Fabio: One of my composition teachers said to me - "You like Mahler so much, how come you don't write like him?" The reasons are obvious (one being -as if I could!), but I guess a little slipped in there. Then too, next to Mahler I like Sibelius but don't write/sound like him either.

Cheers,
Jon
jonknowles8

Postby fabiolcati » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:40 am

jonknowles8 wrote:next to Mahler I like Sibelius

I forbid you to copy-paste the list of my favourite composers!
:D
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby jonknowles8 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:51 pm

fabiolcati wrote:
jonknowles8 wrote:next to Mahler I like Sibelius

I forbid you to copy-paste the list of my favourite composers!
:D

How about that! And they are so different as well - that famous dialog about the symphony. I even put it on my web site (which I'm revising), bottom of the page. http://www.mprv.net/people.html

Cheers,
Jon
jonknowles8

Postby Grawnque » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:14 pm

Hmm... Red Sox... That would be baseball, right?... (You guessed it: biiiiiiiiiiiig sports fan here!)

In each case, whether moving water or baseball, you do seem to have a knack for capturing what it you're trying to describe without reducing it to orchestral sound effects. I'd like to hear more...
Grawnque

Postby jonknowles8 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:41 am

Hi Grawnque - Yes, Red Sox are a baseball team. Since you're a big sports fan, why not write a piece about your team. :)

Grawnque wrote:In each case, whether moving water or baseball, you do seem to have a knack for capturing what it you're trying to describe without reducing it to orchestral sound effects. I'd like to hear more...

Thanks. I've been composing for about 15 years but am just learning orchestration and will reorchestrate the Red Sox piece. I'm working on a couple more pieces; not sure whether to post them with slides/video or simply as a Notion score.

Jon
jonknowles8

Return to Share NOTION Files