Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

"Snare Roll" Drum notation

A Forum to Discuss PROGRESSION

"Snare Roll" Drum notation

Postby sloveland » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:46 am

I am new to Progression and am programming a drum track. I am having trouble programming a "snare roll" (for a quarter measure) into the percussion staff. According to the manual (page 11.4), I get a snare roll by adding tremolo dashes (shift + / three times), but that is not working. I've tried two things:
1. I place a quarter note on the staff line, select the note, then press (Shift + ///) and the quarter note is changed to a eighth note and doesn't make a sound when played.
2. Then I tried to select the quarter note from the entry palette and press (Shift + ///) before pasting on the staff line. In this case, the note head changes to three hash marks but doesn't properly paste on the staff line.
What am I doing wrong? How do I get a drum roll sound?

On a side note, I have the same problem when trying to program in a "snare dead" sound. But in this case, I am able to add the plus sign above the note (by using method 1 above), but it sounds exactly like the snare strike (no difference in sound). Thanks in advance for any suggestions you power users have.
sloveland

Re: "Snare Roll" Drum notation

Postby sloveland » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Never mind, I figured it out. When trying to do a Snare Roll (or Tom, Ride, or Crash Roll) it states in the manual (pages 11.4 through 11.6) to use [SHIFT + / three times]. However a "SHIFT +/" will produce a question mark (?) instead, so the manual is incorrect. It should say just [/ three times]. Now when I enter a note on the percussion staff, then press the "/" three times, I can simply select the note I just added and I get the effect I was looking for. Of course the easy way is to simply select the accent from the palette instead.

I also notice that the cut-circle is not in any of the palettes. This accent is necessary in order to get the "half open" and "half-open shank" Hi-Hat sounds (page 11.5 in the manual), but simply pressing the letter "o" twice does the trick. It would be helpful if this accent is added in future Progression updates.

In summary all of the drum effects sound excellent! The only drum effects that are subtle are the "Snare Dead" (sounds just like the snare strike) and the "Hi-Hat Foot Splash" (sounds just like the Hi-Hat Foot Close).
sloveland

Postby Admin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks for the heads up! I'll get on fixing this in the manual.

-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby sloveland » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:38 pm

Kyle,

As long as you are updating the manual, can you also finish the Crash Cymbals section (bottom of Pg 11.6). Currently, only the 18" crash is listed (for the A5 note), but the second (16"?) Crash isn't listed (for the B5 note).
Also the entries for the 18" Crash should be: 18" crash, 18" crash roll and 18" Crash stopped (at least that's the way it sounds to me).

Thank you,
Steve :P
sloveland

Return to PROGRESSION