Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Drum specific notation -writing drum scores

Drum specific notation -writing drum scores

Postby mabhz » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:35 am

Hi all!!!

I've been looking for some time now for a good, simple and practical iPad app to write drum scores with drumset specific notation, like open/close hi-hat, bell ride, snare side stick, etc, that can handle simultaneous multiple voices (Reflow can't!!!!), but so far spent big bucks with no luck.

I was wondering if the drummers in this forum could please elaborate a bit and share their experience regarding using Notion specifically to write drum scores, the good and the bad aspects of the software concerning our instrument notation peculiarities, etc, etc.

Could you folks please share some knowledge?

I want an app thats very simple to use (In this aspect, Reflow is excellent!) but allows me to write down drum scores I read on drum books or Modern Drummer magazine articles, for example, so I can hear how they sound like.

Also, write down my own exercises and grooves and see how they sound up to speed, or play along with them.

If you folks point out this one is the real deal, I'll probably buy the ipad and Mac versions.

Thanks!!
mabhz

Re: Drum specific notation -writing drum scores

Postby mabhz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:41 pm

Hey folks, there are no drummers using Notion??? Really???!
mabhz

Postby Maine-ah » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Just started using Notion for iPad, and it has most everything I need to write drum sheet music. Playback on some items is not great (flams, ghost notes), and it take some getting used to (the green highlight bar is confusing), but I have tried a few and Notion for iPad is the best (IMHO).

Hope that helps.
Maine-ah

Postby ghess1000 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:50 am

It does a good job for most things. The main weakness is that it doesn't automatically change noteheads for the different instruments.
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Return to Notion for iPad