Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Suggestions/Bugs Re: Solo Guitar Notation

Suggestions/Bugs Re: Solo Guitar Notation

Postby John Francis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:36 am

I am a solo guitar composer and for the most part have found Notion for the iPad to be very useful, but I have found a few bugs and a few things that I believe would make this a better product.

1) xml import can't add subtitle or composer, disappears after each try.
2) Sliding any text element and moving stylus off to quickly will result in a crash every time. One must hold the element in place for a split second before lifting the finger or stylus.
3) Need true polyphony. There are only two voices, should have room for four, I often need three.
4) Need complete control of stem direction and horizontal placement of elements notes, slurs, slides, fingerings, measures.
5) Need a set of rulers or at least a set of guides horizontal and vertical.
6) need option to turn rests off per voice or system
7) can't hide time signature from tab staff when combined with standard notation above.
8) attachments of right hand fingerings need ability to be attached the head of the note (per voice) or at least in a straight line above. As it is, if you select bottom for the upper voice it will place it beneath the lower voice. Then any additional fingerings mash right over the previous type instead of vertically in a row.
9) Sliding two notes (intervals) of the same voice blocks out the top voice and only the bottom note is heard. Guitar music often includes sliding thirds on the treble strings.
10) There are no Roman numerals to indicate position on the fingerboard
11) There is no way to indicate a barre in standard notation
12) There are no vertical half brackets to indicate a half barre
13) Chord diagrams are nice, for PVG editions, but are seldom used in fingerstyle arrangements and never in classical guitar. We need the standard toolset for that.

I am not sure whether the desktop version implements any of these things. I have an authorized dealership through Hal Leonard, but the desktop edition is on backorder. Otherwise, I am sure that I would already have it.
John Francis

Re: Suggestions/Bugs Re: Solo Guitar Notation

Postby John Francis » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:12 am

Music XML files: Tab can not be transposed to display the correct octave. It moves the standard notation, but has no effect on the tablature.

Music XML: can not add anything in the title block that not already there: title, subtitle or composer.
John Francis

Re: Suggestions/Bugs Re: Solo Guitar Notation

Postby John Francis » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:09 am

Bug: Switched time signature from 4/4 to 2/4 to include a single pick up measure between sections. Program Forced Common Time symbol upon return. Looks confusing to have both. Unclicking "show as common or cut time" does not work. May or may not be because I started with an xml file.

Bug: "Save As" does not work for anything. It would be very nice to be able to maintain a few versions. I am afraid to turn of the tab to print a version without it, for example for fear of losing some of my work. I import an xml from the iphone and I can't rename it. etc., just keeps some cryptic name or worse...
John Francis

Return to Notion for iPad