Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How to deal with a work with more than one movement?

How to deal with a work with more than one movement?

Postby perris » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:45 am

I am self-publishing a work that has four movements with separate titles. The entire thing needs to be in the one document for the printer. How do I either combine the four scores into one pdf, or create the four parts as one score in Notion?

The other issue is that Notion automatically exports to pdf as US Letter size and I need my pdf to be A4 for the manufacturer.

This is my first time using Notion as a previous Sibelius user.

Thanks in advance for your help.
perris

Re: How to deal with a work with more than one movement?

Postby choirguy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 pm

I think you will need to look at the Windows/Mac version of Notion to accomplish what you want to accomplish with both a large continuous score, and for A4 paper.

As you work on the iPad, you can simply treat each movement as its own file; if necessary you can export to MusicXML and open in Sibelius (the Dolet is now free for older versions, from MakeMusic).

As a long-time user of Finale, I have always treated movements as their own score; and even in recording I save each movement in its own track.
choirguy

Postby perris » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:13 am

I figured out the A4 issue.
In the settings, in Print View, you can change to any standard size paper you want.

I still can't find a way to remove page numbers (some sample scores don't have page numbers) or add a new title for a new movement part-way through. May need to use the desktop version, which defeats the purpose of switching to the iPad app. I am using this in particular for portability.
perris

Postby Wawoodman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:43 pm

There are various iPad apps to combine PDF files into a single document. The problem would be that each movement would start on a new page.
Wawoodman

Postby Dronemaker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:43 pm

This may not be the best answer, but combining separate pdf files into a single document with pagination and other features seems to be easiest using a pdf authoring tool like Acrobat. I use Foxit Pro. You can create a document of multiple pdfs, arrange pages, etc. If' I was getting something ready to publish in print, that's what I would do, but it's more a desktop thing than an iPad thing.
Dronemaker

Return to Notion for iPad