Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Shortening final staff line of score

Shortening final staff line of score

Postby Randy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:34 am

Sometimes my scores have only one or two measures on the last line. Notion for iPad makes even one measure stretch out the whole width of the score.

Is there anyway to reverse indent (from the right) to make the last line of music look normal?
Randy

Re: Shortening final staff line of score

Postby choirguy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:12 pm

I just looked and I can't see a way. That might not be there...yet. Be sure to e-mail support and let them know you want that on the change list (it's probably already on the list...but it's worth sending in anyway.
choirguy

Postby thorrild » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:05 am

Hi Randy,

The best way to deal with this is to play around with one or several of the following:

1. The point size of the music on the page.
2. The page margins.
3. The paper size.
4. The instrument names. (show/hide/shorten abbreviation or full name)

Since Notion doesn't allow you to adjust the width of any of its measures, these settings will help you get a layout that ends with a nice, full page of music. The desktop version of Notion has a feature that allows you to lock consecutive measures together, but that hasn't made it to the iPad yet.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Randy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:25 am

Yes, I know that I can fiddle with staff size and other parameters, but when I need a house style for a set of parts I don't want a hodge-podge of score sizing. I would think that Notion cound automatically place the final double-bar of a score based on the width of measures in the final line of music. I hope something like that gets added some day.
Randy

Postby thorrild » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 am

Hi Randy,

Notion staff has told us repeatedly that their goal is to make all features of the desktop version available in the iPad version as well, and judging from the tremendous improvements they make to the app with every update, they are quite serious about this. Maybe if you request that the "Link To Next Measure" command be added to the iPad app, it will move up a few steps on the to-do list. Just email Brian at support@notionmusic.com.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Wawoodman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:50 am

I have always been taught that the last system should fill the page, not be shortened. A better request (IMO) would be to allow us to move measures up or down to adjacent systems, and/or to specify the number of measures per individual system.
Wawoodman

Postby thorrild » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi Wawoodman,

I have been taught the same about last measures, but since notation is not an exact science, there might be some wiggle room... Anyway, the "Link To Next Measure" feature from the desktop application does exactly what you are asking for, its interface just isn't as slick as we might like.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby patrick » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:33 pm

The Link to Next Measure feature was added in a recent update. To use it:

1) Double-tap a measure to select it.
2) Click on More… to bring up the contextual menu.
3) Click on "Measure x" at the bottom to show the measure section of the menu.
4) Tap on "Link to Next Measure".
patrick

Postby Wawoodman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:33 pm

As I've said before, I'm used to Finale. There, you can either specify the number of measures per system, or fine tune by moving measures up or down. The systems affected automatically respace.

I'm sure it's more complex to program than just describing it! However, iWriteMusic, which is far behind Notion OS in features, does allow measures per system adjustment, IIRC.
Wawoodman

Return to Notion for iPad