Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How to connect a guitar to the iPad for real-time recording

How to connect a guitar to the iPad for real-time recording

Postby choirguy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Hello all,

I'm trying to give some advice to someone asking about real-time MIDI guitar recording.

What do you need to do to convert guitar to MIDI for real-time recording? Is there a recommended guitar to MIDI converter?

Thanks!

Chris
choirguy

Re: How to connect a guitar to the iPad for real-time record

Postby matt_2013 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Instead of using an actual guitar and converting its signal to MIDI, I would think that the easiest and most cost effective way of achieving this is to use a MIDI guitar such as the YouRock guitar which is an actual MIDI control that mimics a guitar.
matt_2013

Postby Aph » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:26 pm

Here are some guitar to MIDI apps for ios devices:

MIDImorphosis
Sonuus G2M
MIDI Guitar (by Jam Origin)

None of them are perfect. You have to spend some time developing a clean playing style and also trying different pickups, levels, etc.
Also, forget the iRig for guitar, the best guitar interface devices plug into the 30-pin or lightning connector on the iPad like the Apogee Jam, etc.
These apps can control other synth apps that support virtual MIDI... I don't think Notion for ios does, though.
Aph

Postby choirguy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:22 pm

The Fishman Triple Play has been recommended as well (about $400) and comes packaged with the desktop version of Progression.
choirguy

Postby Jaws75 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:39 am

I have been in touch with the support and requested virtual midi support so you can use Jam origin with irig and others..i have jam origin costs nothing... you can even use it to control instruments on desktop like kontakt via wifi..Works rather well!

I have yourock too...it's cool but nothing like a real guitar...and can get frustrating if you play the yourock strings...rather than the excellent tap mode...but you don't get velocites. all notes sound same volume and closet you get to playing a keyboard albeit with your left hand only!

Jam origin supports polyphonic with its software which means you can play chords too. It's a no brainer plus you get to use your real guitar. It's a no brainer.

However Notion does not support virtual midi on the ipad properly..i can record notes but you can't hear them in real time as your recording or playing....so its pretty useless...but i can use it to play with garage band and music studio not a problem.

The results are very good.

So unless you want to spend $400 or $600 in the UK!! i say wait till notion supports virtual midi for software based jam origin.

To speed the process of the request i put in,
Pls email

support@notionmusic.com

And ask them 'pls could they support the use of Jam origin virtual midi'

Job done.
Jaws75

Return to Notion for iPad