Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Clear / Reset Velocity Values from Imported MIDI files

Clear / Reset Velocity Values from Imported MIDI files

Postby bshaw » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:53 am

Does anyone know any tricks to "reset" the velocity values for MIDI files imported into Notion for iPad? Why do I ask? For some reason, I am unable to get the score dynamics to take control of playback *if* I imported a MIDI file from a third party DAW.

For example, if I use a third party DAW, such as Logic, and set the velocities of particular notes to the equivalent of ff, then import that MIDI file into Notion for iPad, and try to edit those velocities to pp, I can't make that adjustment in Notion for iPad. That is, Notion for iPad properly retains the velocities from the import. However, it doesn't allow me to edit those velocities.

Currently, the only way I can get around this is to clear those measures, and re-key the notes from scratch.

I believe a 'Clear Velocities' feature is in the desktop version of Notion, but I can not find it in Notion for iPad.

Is there an inexpensive work-around? Or, am I missing something so obvious it would bite me if it were a snake?

b shaw
bshaw

Re: Clear / Reset Velocity Values from Imported MIDI files

Postby bshaw » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:47 pm

For the record, I found a work around. I imported the midi file into MuseScore, then exported the resulting file as a MusicXML format. That step removed the velocity values such that Notion for iPad could resume control of the dynamic.

Note, the full Notion product provides this functionality already and there is no need for a work around.

b.
bshaw

Re: Clear / Reset Velocity Values from Imported MIDI files

Postby thorrild » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:09 am

Hi B,

Did you try exporting the file as XML from the Notion app, instead of having to go through MuseScore?

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Return to Notion for iPad