Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Reduced lines stave

Reduced lines stave

Postby Fernandoboe » Mon May 27, 2013 8:17 am

Hi,
I am considering getting Notion for IPad but I need to make sure I will be able to write on a reduced stave. Is it possible to write scores using different kinds of staves (one or two line staves) combined with conventional five line ones?

I work with young learned and it is a good way to introduce notation.

Thanks
Fernandoboe

Re: Reduced lines stave

Postby thorrild » Tue May 28, 2013 3:56 pm

What you are asking for is not currently possible. When you set up an instrument, it's staff is automatically generated according to standard notation practices: E.g., Piano on a grand staff, Flute on a single, 5-line staff, and Triangle on a single-line staff. No other options are available. For instruments in the Guitar family, you have the option of adding a TAB staff, either with or without the standard staff.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Fernandoboe » Wed May 29, 2013 4:34 pm

Thanks for that!!

Do you know of any other app that would allow me to do that?
Fernandoboe

Postby thorrild » Thu May 30, 2013 8:01 am

Fernandoboe wrote:Do you know of any other app that would allow me to do that?

No I don't. But if you are a Finale user, you can set up such a custom staff in the desktop application and perhaps it will transfer correctly to their iPad app, SongBook. I haven't tested it, though, and of course SongBook is not nearly as capable as Notion in many other ways.

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Wawoodman » Thu May 30, 2013 10:31 am

Songbook is really just a player. You can't do any editing with it at all, so it really wouldn't be any help for this.

You might do better in Notion iPad, just putting your notes on a single line in the staff, and then transferring to Finale or Notion Desktop, and changing the staff there.

(I'm assuming that you are using Notion iPad just for working on the go, and that it isn't your primary notation app.)

I do most of my work in Finale. I use ForScore as my iPad music display app. I don't know of an iPad app that would do what you want. None of them have the power of Finale or Sibelius, or any of the other desktop apps.

Are you using the single line staff to teach rhythm? Set up your score with the tambourine. That's a single line, and you can enter your durations. Playback may not be the sound you want, but the appearance would be.
Wawoodman

Postby Fernandoboe » Fri May 31, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks for the advices. I am not using any of it at the moment. I need to get hold of it and am trying to find the best option.

I would need it for simple melodies that only require one or two lines. We use it to introduce very young kids to notation. And at that stage we find that 5 lines are unnecessary and they start reading melodies only on one or two lines.

I will continue the search and really appreciate your comments.

Cheers!!
Fernandoboe

Postby Wawoodman » Fri May 31, 2013 12:50 pm

This is what I did with the tambourine loaded. There is no way to change the clef or key signature, as far as I can tell. Is that what you're looking for?
Wawoodman

Postby Fernandoboe » Fri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately I couldn´t see or download the image.
Fernandoboe

Postby Wawoodman » Fri May 31, 2013 2:22 pm

That's very strange. It shows up on my iPad.

Send me your email, by private message. I'll send you the picture.

Can anyone else see the picture in the post above? Does this link work?

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/wawoodman/7b2e4437c0d57e0e3a873c697639bd66.jpg
Wawoodman

Postby Fernandoboe » Fri May 31, 2013 2:54 pm

I can see the link now. Great!!

That could actually work. Thank you!!!
Fernandoboe

Return to Notion for iPad