Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

3 half notes per measure in 4/4 time?

3 half notes per measure in 4/4 time?

Postby hselburn » Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 am

I can paste a screen shot if need be but I did manage 3 half notes in 2 measures. I assume Notion assumed I was trying to create a triplet although you still can't do that with 3 half notes. I used the pencil tool.
hselburn

Re: 3 half notes per measure in 4/4 time?

Postby thorrild » Fri May 10, 2013 11:06 am

Hi hselburn,

I'm not sure I understand your question, but here's how to create a half-note triplet:
1. Tap the note entry tool (looks like a quarter note)
2. On the duration palette that appears, tap the half note duration.
3. Then tap the tuplet button (some quarters with a bracketed "?" above them)
4. Specify 3 in the time of 2.
5. play the three notes on the onscreen keyboard.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby hselburn » Mon May 13, 2013 6:25 am

It was strange but I was able to create measures in 4/4 time where the half note was the beat instead of a quarter note and I was able to place more than 2 in a measure which theoretically, is impossible. You can only put 2 half notes in a 4/4 measure. Not 3 or 4. I put 3 in a measure.
hselburn

Postby thorrild » Mon May 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Hselburn,

If you use the new pencil tool (with half note duration selected in the palette), you can add lots of extra half notes to any bar — but the excess notes will show in red, indicating that they really belong in the following bar.

If you don't tap the pencil tool and instead play the half notes in, using the on-sreen keyboard, fretboard, or an external MIDI keyboard, Notion will distribute the notes correctly, so that all measures have only as many beats as the meter indicates.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Return to Notion for iPad