Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

MIDI input, keyboard rec

MIDI input, keyboard rec

Postby Doghouse » Thu May 02, 2013 10:07 am

I'm trying to input notes playing in real time via the record function. I tried with the onscreen keyboard, but apparently that's not possible. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So I think I need to get an external MIDI keyboard to do this. Can anyone recommend a small inexpensive keyboard that works well with an iPad 2 and Notion?

For example, Akai LPK25, Line6 mobilekeys or Korg microkey??

thanks
Doghouse

Re: MIDI input, keyboard rec

Postby Aph » Thu May 02, 2013 5:29 pm

The Akai LPK25 works (with the camera connection kit).
I did notice that the latency of hitting a key and hearing the sound (using grand piano) was slighty longer than other iPad apps I've tried with the LPK25. And, the velocity seems to have a wider range when recording in Notion than other apps. But, with a little practice, it seems to be a good way to input notes ( I tried both step-recording and real-time recording).
I hope it will be possible to use the on-screen keyboard for realtime entry soon... but the on-screen keyboard has even greater latency than one that's plugged in. That will have to be addressed first.
Aph

Postby Doghouse » Fri May 03, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks for the reply. One question, which camera connection kit did you use?

Is it Apple brand or another manufacturer? At the store I went to they told me the Apple adapter was blocked or something.

Thanks
Doghouse

Postby Aph » Fri May 03, 2013 3:08 pm

The Apple kit. It's more expensive, but it works.
Did you go to the Apple store? Are they not making it because of the lightning connector now?
Aph

Postby Doghouse » Tue May 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Cool, it works fine. I'm having fun. much easier to input notes and write arrangements this way... thanks
Doghouse

Return to Notion for iPad