Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Ties. - multiple concerns

Ties. - multiple concerns

Postby Jseise » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:32 pm

I entered a dotted quarter note and wanted to tie it to a quarter note but when I tried to tie them the tie goes over the quarter note and across the measure line into the next measure. Is there something in the note entering process I should be doing? Also had problem tying multiple notes in one chord to notes in the next chord: chord 1= e3, g3, c4 tied to chord 2: e3, g3, c4. When I entered the tie the c4s tied but could not tie the e or g notes. All that happened was the c4s being tied or un-tied. In the sample files I see where chord noes are tied. How did they manage that?

I like this app but find it frustrating to have to email it in order to edit it up in finale etc.
Jseise

Re: Ties. - multiple concerns

Postby choirguy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:00 pm

New update out tonight. Do the problems persist?
choirguy

Postby Jseise » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:43 am

Yes, the problems till exists. Once created, notes of accord cannot be individually selected for ties. I tried entering each note separately and tying it to the next but when I attempt to add a lower note to the chord and tying it, the ties for the upper notes disappears.

Furthermore, when I email the song as a midi and go to open it in Finale orCakewalk everything goes to the same staff. Any suggestions?
Jseise

Postby choirguy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:46 am

I see what you're saying...you can't have ties in voice 1 and voice 2 at the same time. I've reported this, and they know about about it. It will be fixed eventually.

As for exporting to Finale..use Music XML. Open it in Finale.

Then, recreate the "template" of the entire file, and use Finale's "clip feature" to copy from the imported MusicXML file to a fresh Finale file.

Using the clip feature makes a lot of strange behaviors go away...and seems to bring a song "up to date" in Finale.

I even do this (...have to do this) for my "legacy" Finale File from 1997 and earlier.
choirguy

Postby erikbosio » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:24 am

I have the same issue. Actually, I can't even tie two notes that are in two different bars. I press the tie icon and nothing happens! I don't know what to do. Am I the only one having this problem?
erikbosio

Postby choirguy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Select the first note of the tie, and hit the tie button. Doesn't that tie two notes, bar line or not?
choirguy

Postby Randy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Sometimes tying a note from one bar to the next doesn't work. Maybe one of the notes was accidentally entered in a different voice. My solution is to delete the second note, re-enter it carefully in the primary voice, and tie again. This usually works, but seemingly not for notes tied in series (more than two).

Randy
San Francisco
Randy

Postby mac jones » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:03 pm

I have had serious problems with ties with the desktop version 3, so this doesn't surprise me. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to correct it. I don't know if they fixed it, or even if I was doing it myself (I doubt it), but it was annoying. As a matter of fact, it was the ONLY real issue I had with Notion 3.

Good luck with this :D
mac jones

Postby cr3ator84 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:12 am

Really annoying way to get round this.....
1) delete the bar in between the 2 notes
2) tie them
3) select the 2nd note and click the bar line button to place the bar back in
There you have it - 2 notes tied across bar lines.....
cr3ator84

Postby cr3ator84 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:13 am

Trying to get slurs to work with the notes you want is an absolute nightmare also.....
cr3ator84

Return to Notion for iPad