Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Thanks but....really needs another note input function

Thanks but....really needs another note input function

Postby Jaws75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:35 am

I am very pleased with the software! Thank you, pls keep supporting and I'll support you guys! :)

Couple of musts for a new update...

1. Be great to enter note with finger or pen and HEAR it as you chromatically sweep up and down vertically ...then let go when u have the note! That's one thing I used to love about cakewalk pro 3.0 via mouse entry. Of course if you can also include a USB mouse implementation too! Pls take more money right now if u can. :D

2. Good to select group of notes and change octaves...sometimes you find u need to change octave for better orchestration.

3. Like above... Selection tool and edit multiple notes I.e to give em accents... Etc.

There must be other ppl like me that compose in the head...I never used a keyboard with calk walk...it kinda slows me down... Maybe if I was a good key board player who knows...but hearing the note as you select on the stave is the best thing ever for reference to compose.

As I write this...my sample downloads are complete! At bloody last!

Thanks for reading!!!
P
Jaws75

Re: Thanks but....really needs another note input function

Postby choirguy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:32 pm

1. Mouse input isn't going to happen on an iPad...only jailbroken iPads have had a mouse driver, and Apple pretty clearly isn't going there. If you need finger input, I encourage you to do two things. First, drop the customer service folks at Notion an e-mail and request it. I'm sure they log requests and keep them in mind as they make changes to their development roadmap. Second, if you drastically need "finger" composition, you might want to look at iWriteMusic (there's a free version and paid). You should be able to export MIDI from iWriteMusic into Notion.

2. Octave jumps. I'm a Finale user, and learned this fall that I could press 8 to bring a selected group of notes down an octave and 9 to bring notes up an octave, and it is ridiculous how many times I've used that feature since (And I've been using Finale since the early 1990s). So I can see the use of this. My thought: highlight the section, and then along with "Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, and Clear" you could add the Options of "8va Up, 8va Down, P2 Up, P2 Down" These are probably the most common.

3. You can select a group of notes (double-tap a note, and move the handle...be sure to stay on the same staff line even over various staff systems to select specific notes in the same staff) and then select articulations and add the same articulations to a lot of notes at the same time. By the way, this is the same general way you add slurs and a number of other markings.

Just yesterday, I was playing notes into Notion, where there was a sustained note on the bottom and changing notes above--and the sustained note was tied. When I went back to put in the ties, the program AUTOMATICALLY tied the common note and left the changing notes alone...this is brilliant. I wish Finale did that.

There are all kinds of gems in this program...it's not perfect, but is it ever improving with every release. As I wrote somewhere else on these forums tonight, I can see how people could eventually prefer to compose on their tablet versus their computer (side note: this is one of the rare situations where a 16:10 tablet would make more sense than the 4:3 iPad-other than movie watching, of course)
choirguy

Postby Jaws75 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Thank you very much for your time and detailed reply, really appreciated!

Regarding note input I work faster pitch wise..but I see how it can slow u down as rhythm has to be figured out and that's where keyboard real time can come in handy.

Iwritemusic not bad...but the major flaw for note input is the inability to hear the notes chromatically as u select pitches.

I'm goin to send an email about this feature request to notion.

I case anyone wants to know...they answer pretty quickly on facebook...I will ask them on there as they seem pretty active.

Thanks again
Jaws75

Postby choirguy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:41 am

There was a recent post from Notion on the Facebook Forum (embedded at the end of another discussion) mentioning the coming ability to add notes by touch (they mentioned that they had to add Zoom first...makes sense) and removing the "target" icon.

So it sounds like you might be getting your wish!
choirguy

Return to Notion for iPad